collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Name's the Same-- What do I do?!  (Read 974 times)

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
Name's the Same-- What do I do?!
« on: January 23, 2022, 07:08:52 AM »
I've been working on a beautiful konpeito themed Twice as Fancy pegasus all month. Here's an earlier WIP picture.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I came up with her name almost as quickly as her theme: Cosmic Candy. Y'know, because she's based on sugar stars? But just today, I decided to go through some back pages of Customs here on the forum for inspiration, and discovered I may have taken a bit more inspiration than originally thought. ChocolateStarfire posted her own (frankly gorgeous) Cosmic Candy just this past June!

[Image used from ChocolateStarfire's customs portfolio website, www.enchantingcustomsmlps.weebly.com]

What's an artist to do! Our ponies are distinct creations to be sure, but would it be a better gesture to rename my own pony for more clarity? I suppose Sugar Stars is a suitable substitute, especially since my base pony is Starshine... What would you do in this situation?
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Name's the Same-- What do I do?!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 07:41:24 AM »
Ah, it's not a big deal if they have the same name. A lot of world famous artists don't even name their work at all, or name it "Title" :lol:

I do like Sugar Stars though :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:42:10 AM »
I would think names are fine, so long as you're not copying the design as well. Hasbro themselves have a tendency to reuse names. I do agree with BC; Sugar Stars is also a lovely name.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 11:18:52 AM »
Personally I wouldn't have an issue with someone naming their custom the same as one of mine, but then, I don't put much value on their names...what I mean is that I'm not very attached to the names I give my customs.  Another person might care more?  You could check with ChocolateStarfire and see if they mind at all.  Overall I don't think there would be any problem with it, though.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »
I've seen dozens of customs with the same name, I really wouldn't think anything of it unless it was an incredibly specific name.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »
I agree that same name ponies are fine! After all, Yum
Yum is the name of a flutter pony and a TAF pony.

But if you do want a new name, what do you think about Cosmic Sugar? It combines your other choices!

Offline Lilycove

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »
I'm with everyone here, I don't think them having the same name would be a big deal! The two customs are both very unique (and very beautiful may I add). If you're worried, then I don't think it would hurt to ask :)
I also think Sugar Stars is a great alternative name too!
:good:

♡ Artist ♡ Gamer ♡ G1 Pony Collector ♡

°•. ✿ .•°

Offline honor_h

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 06:52:25 AM »
As Hasbro themselves reused names for different looking ponies I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 02:15:31 PM »
I guess I'll stick with Cosmic Candy. I prefer the hard C sounds in the name to the softer S sounds of Sugar Stars, but maybe i'll use that name for another pony in the future...
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
Re: Name\'s the Same-- What do I do?!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 05:23:26 PM »
Hi Heelys-I'm glad the name of the pony stuck, I was inspired by an episode of Good Mythical Morning when I applied it to the pony haha-it's interesting how different these Cosmic Candies turned out!

Thank you all for the compliments on her-I might make another sparkly custom in future!

I can't wait to see your version of Cosmic Candy! :)

Post Merge: January 26, 2022, 05:28:09 PM

I would think names are fine, so long as you're not copying the design as well. Hasbro themselves have a tendency to reuse names. I do agree with BC; Sugar Stars is also a lovely name.

And yes-it's fine because this Cosmic Candy is very different from mine-they could be from other parts of the cosmos!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:28:09 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:29:11 PM »
*throws "Candy Cosmos" into the potential names pile*
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 05:43:51 PM »
LOL, other parts of the cosmos! I love that, ChocolateStarfire! (And Candy Cosmos would be a VERY good name for a pony too!)

I'm among the people saying that it's probably pretty common to accidentally share names! Especially with ponies - we don't have a lot of Johnathan's or Bethanny's in here, you know? It's Candy this, Sparkle that, Starshine Whatsnot and so on! ;) Unless you name your latest custom pony Grapthar the Valorous, you run a medium risk of sharing the name (or part of it!) with another pony somewhere in the universe! (And now I lowkey want to make a Grapthar... :lmao:)

I love both versions of Cosmic Candy, they're so cute! It's cute to see them side by side, and see how different they are, despite the same name! I can see the Cosmic Candy elements in both of them! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 02:34:28 PM »
With all the amazing customs out there, I'm sure there's a few that have the same name. As some people have said, as long as the design of the pony itself isn't the same, there shouldn't be any hurt feelings between artists who happened to think of the same name for their ponies.

If I found a pony custom with the same name as one of mine, I would enjoy comparing the two designs where two artists had the same name but came up with completely different concepts.

In fact, that might be a fun custom challenge to come up with a pony name and then see what design and color pallet each artist came up with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal