Creativity > Customs

Name's the Same-- What do I do?!

(1/3) > >>

Heelys:
I've been working on a beautiful konpeito themed Twice as Fancy pegasus all month. Here's an earlier WIP picture.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I came up with her name almost as quickly as her theme: Cosmic Candy. Y'know, because she's based on sugar stars? But just today, I decided to go through some back pages of Customs here on the forum for inspiration, and discovered I may have taken a bit more inspiration than originally thought. ChocolateStarfire posted her own (frankly gorgeous) Cosmic Candy just this past June!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

[Image used from ChocolateStarfire's customs portfolio website, www.enchantingcustomsmlps.weebly.com]

What's an artist to do! Our ponies are distinct creations to be sure, but would it be a better gesture to rename my own pony for more clarity? I suppose Sugar Stars is a suitable substitute, especially since my base pony is Starshine... What would you do in this situation?

BlackCurtains:
Ah, it's not a big deal if they have the same name. A lot of world famous artists don't even name their work at all, or name it "Title" :lol:

I do like Sugar Stars though :)

starscout:
I would think names are fine, so long as you're not copying the design as well. Hasbro themselves have a tendency to reuse names. I do agree with BC; Sugar Stars is also a lovely name.

SunPony:
Personally I wouldn't have an issue with someone naming their custom the same as one of mine, but then, I don't put much value on their names...what I mean is that I'm not very attached to the names I give my customs.  Another person might care more?  You could check with ChocolateStarfire and see if they mind at all.  Overall I don't think there would be any problem with it, though.

Carrehz:
I've seen dozens of customs with the same name, I really wouldn't think anything of it unless it was an incredibly specific name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version