collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Underrated Doll Line?  (Read 3948 times)

Offline MissMagicalGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
Underrated Doll Line?
« on: January 15, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
What is the most underrated doll line in your opinion? I think that it's Pinkie Cooper, I don't understand why is didn't even last a year on store shelves, I mean, it was made by the person who made BRATZ!

I was going to add an image but I can't figure out how...

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Underrated Doll Line?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:25:23 PM »
Oh god, I miss Pinkie Cooper SO MUCH. :( I knew right from the first time I saw them that they weren't going to last long, anthro dolls always seem to fail for some reason, but I was still sad to see them fail. I really wish they could've released the planned beach line, it was so cuuute... it looks like it got pretty close to being released, too. Here's an ad for them I scanned from an 2014 (I think) Argos catalogue:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Another underrated line is Catwalk Kitties. Basically like Pinkie Cooper but with cats. :< Very very pretty.

Also not sure if they count as dolls or figures, but there was that Off the Hook line a while back. Odd gimmick, but I thought they were really cute. Never really seemed to catch on, though.. they've been shelfwarming at just about every discount store I've been into over the last couple of years.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 05:08:08 AM »
I like gorjuss dolls but I couldn't really bond with mine :(
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:53:33 AM »
I actually only learned about Pinkie Cooper recently. I'm so disappointed I hadn't known about them while they were still being sold. I love anthros! For me, my underrated dolls are Pipos! They seem pretty unknown, which is a real crying shame. Just look at how gorgeous they are!

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 02:38:23 PM »
oooh did someone say Pipos?!? I LOVE their dolls! Especially their PVC dolls, it's a shame they seem to be discontinuing those... Haven't gotten any Pipos BJDs but I've definitely got my eye on one or two, haha. They're so beautiful.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »
Oh so many but off the top of my head, besides Pinkie Cooper, Catwalk Kitties, and Off the Hook:

Cutie Pops
Novi Starz
Bratzillaz
Capsule Chix (they were designed by the creator of Monster High but the vending machine gimmick really hampered it's success)
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:59 PM »
Most of the lines I would mention have been aside from maybe Bratzillas who I didn't see until after they stopped making them and maybe Hujoo who used to make more affordable bjds or Tang Kou dolls which were like a hybrid of Blythe and Pullip dolls.

On the subject of Pipos, I love their dolls and if money was no object I would have an army of them. Instead I own just one, a baby cheshire named Valentine.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 06:25:40 AM »
Oh yeah, what happened to Hujoo, does anyone know? They just seemed to disappear one day. I liked their Freya dolls, it was nice to see some more-affordable BJDs.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 12:29:29 PM »
Oh yeah, what happened to Hujoo, does anyone know? They just seemed to disappear one day. I liked their Freya dolls, it was nice to see some more-affordable BJDs.
I've heard that they closed up shop but I'm not sure if anyone knows what actually happened. I found out they were gone because of trying to track down a mini freya to customize for my sister in law, now I'm not sure how I'm going to make her the cat I wanted to.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 05:00:37 PM »
I loved Bratzillaz.  I don't know if the ones with bird cages ever came out but I was really looking forward to them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 08:34:36 AM »
I'm not a big doll person, but I saw the Novi Stars dolls on the shelf when they first came out and fell in love. They were only around for a hot minute and then gone. Now they are so expensive and hard to come by. But I recently purchased a couple new ones for myself and don't regret it. I just think they're so darling.

Offline StrawberrySparkle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • He/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 02:27:27 AM »
I feel cave club are really underrated, they're super cute and nice quality for the lower price point

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 12:36:01 PM »
I will forever lament Once Upon a Zombie  :cry: I never got Alice or the new versions of Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella from when the takeover happened, and I still have saved concept art of various characters. I'll never forget that giveaway for the 'car' which was just ... an utter joke.

The FB page seemed more interested in shilling the books, and the dolls are not made anymore. The glassy eyes were REALLY great and creepy, and it was horrible enough to be creepy, but not horrible enough to be disgusting like other, more teenage/adult 'creepy' dolls (I'm trying to remember the doll line, they came in coffin-shaped boxes? I keep thinking Living Dead Dolls but maybe not? Plus the Apple dolls that had a more Japanese aesthetic and inspiration)

RIP OUAZ. I'll never forget you <3

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 07:11:54 PM »
I'd say Novi Stars, design-wise. They had very little play value, tho. Kids would just break them constantly. Also, their characterization was awful. They were all aliens, which was cool, but their main goal was doing vapid crap like learning how to fangirl Justin Bieber...
For doll collectors they were an amazing addition because they looked so out-there and had sparkly inset eyes.

I feel cave club are really underrated, they're super cute and nice quality for the lower price point

Cave Club for me, too. They don't seem to be doing so well over here in central Europe, sadly. Mattel also had to redesign them all to exclude any bone, rib, claw and fang designs which totally neutered them. Apparently they got flak for looking like cannibals or gruesome or whatever. I can't keep track on these things anymore. Nobody seems to think this way about The Flintstones but if it's a doll it's suddenly a problem because it could teach girls to skin a cat or whatever  :lol:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 10:20:17 PM »

Cave Club for me, too. They don't seem to be doing so well over here in central Europe, sadly. Mattel also had to redesign them all to exclude any bone, rib, claw and fang designs which totally neutered them.

I think it's similar to what happened with MH and EAH. When sales waned or the line never really caught on in the first place, they try to "fix" whatever they feel might be affecting sales. But sometimes they totally miss the actual reason or remove the only thing the line had going for it.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal