collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rarest ponies top 10 list  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Paleopony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
Re: Rarest ponies top 10 list
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »
I don’t have the best knowledge of the G1 ponies but I can tell that there is something fishy about that list. It seems like most G1 collectors own a Medley and a Moondancer. How did Mimic not make the list? So much for ‘rare’ ponies!

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 12:14:13 AM »
Oh man, someone please tell me that’s not even close for Princess Pristina? I think she’s cute and hope people don’t start hiking her price over this. I did run across a Princess Pony (Tiffany I believe? - the blue one with white hair) in a local vintage toy store the other day and was surprised when the guy working there looked up recently sold ones on EBay and priced her at $75. He said that was the shop’s pricing policy, though he’d been hoping he could give me a good price and wasn’t surprised when I balked. So…a lot of ponies I remember as seeming easy to come by seem to be going for a LOT these days! Like ones I sort of had on my “wouldn’t mind having eventually but I’m in no rush to get” list are suddenly outside my budget. Oof.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
My question is what were they on, there is a HUGE  difference between list price,and selling price.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
I went and corrected this person. Once again, greedy idiots don't do their homework.

Post Merge: January 22, 2022, 02:56:04 PM

Oh man, someone please tell me that’s not even close for Princess Pristina? I think she’s cute and hope people don’t start hiking her price over this. I did run across a Princess Pony (Tiffany I believe? - the blue one with white hair) in a local vintage toy store the other day and was surprised when the guy working there looked up recently sold ones on EBay and priced her at $75. He said that was the shop’s pricing policy, though he’d been hoping he could give me a good price and wasn’t surprised when I balked. So…a lot of ponies I remember as seeming easy to come by seem to be going for a LOT these days! Like ones I sort of had on my “wouldn’t mind having eventually but I’m in no rush to get” list are suddenly outside my budget. Oof.

Nowhere near that. She goes between $50 and $65 last I knew.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 02:56:04 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
*facepalm* Not one of THESE articles again! I hate it when these totally inaccurate "what ~*RaRiTiEs*~ might be in YOUR attic?!?!??/" posts show up, some random non-collector always sees it and the prices end up going up because people are trying to sell their "ULTRA rare perfect condition Peachy, special bald edition!!" =_=
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 08:45:13 AM »
@Lilja, I didn't know that. Although was it a genuine prototype? My first thought on that was do the HQcustom people make a white base in that pose?

On Pristina. Mint in box, possibly she might sell for that amount. Loose with accessories might bump her up a bit. Generally loose, I agree with other people, probably not as high as that. The writer of the blog should be clearer about whether they mean in package or not. They're not using any actual collector terms to make that clear.

I would also wonder if maybe the expensive moondancer moc did happen because her card is unusual to see. It doesn't change the value of MD or of MD MOC being far lower. But if one incident happened, and lockdown has created some mad pricies, I guess it may have sparked a social media conversation somewhere that inspired this post to exist.

When people have some facts mixed in with falsehoods, they sound a lot more plausible than when it's all completely wrong.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 09:03:05 AM »
These lists are good for a laugh. XD
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 10:13:36 AM »
@Lilja, I didn't know that. Although was it a genuine prototype? My first thought on that was do the HQcustom people make a white base in that pose?

On Pristina. Mint in box, possibly she might sell for that amount. Loose with accessories might bump her up a bit. Generally loose, I agree with other people, probably not as high as that. The writer of the blog should be clearer about whether they mean in package or not. They're not using any actual collector terms to make that clear.

I would also wonder if maybe the expensive moondancer moc did happen because her card is unusual to see. It doesn't change the value of MD or of MD MOC being far lower. But if one incident happened, and lockdown has created some mad pricies, I guess it may have sparked a social media conversation somewhere that inspired this post to exist.

When people have some facts mixed in with falsehoods, they sound a lot more plausible than when it's all completely wrong.

I might pay well for a Moondancer on a pristine card but, there are a lot of factors involved.  Such as, covid ruined my year.  :lol:  Mostly, I think sellers are going to be disappointed if they follow this guide.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 12:45:03 PM »
Meh. I don't have a lot to say about 'rarest' ponies. Personally I think it's subjective and where you grew up.

I had the darndest time ever finding Tickle back in the 80's. For me even back then there were certain ponies that were HTF. And just a notice, Mimic was not one of them.

The other thing, the photo of Rapunzel, I know I'm nitpicky but her hair did not look like that when she came from Hasbro. She did not have big curls, her hair was more wavy, etc.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
Rapunzel's aura has been created by mad ponypeople though. I know that mine cost $80. I traded for her, but my trade partner told me so we could work out an equal trade based on monetary value at the time. Yes, mine has had a tail cut, but considering the current price, I would imagine a mint one back then was only $200 in contrast to what it is now.

As a kid I just wanted Medley and Glory :'(

I've found a Mimic here; she wasn't sold here. I've never found Medley, who also wasn't sold here, but I havre found Mimic.  I've never believed her to be rare. All the suggestions about her being shortpacked etc are also created by mad ponypeople rumours.

So yeah, these kinds of sites do have an impact...maybe. But I think probably years of myths being circulated in collecting communities about a particular pony's rarity is more damaging to actual collector prices.

One or two people who know nothing about ponies hiking their prices because of a random online blog can mostly be ignored. Collectors regularly pricing a pony at a certain high price because it's the going rate is the thing that really causes pony inflation.

I don't like sites like this basically because I don't like pony misinformation, but we're pretty guilty as a community of hiking our own prices for random reasons.

Look at Glowing Magic/GnS ponies. They used to be very normally priced...what the heck happened there. O.o.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »
the prices of the Glow N Show really surprised me. i ended up selling mine last year since the prices were high. we're buying a house and i wanted to pay off remaining debts first so i sold a larger part of my collection.

i do wonder if platforms like eBay also contribute to rising prices since there is a seller fee. like if i pay $100 for a pony and the seller fee is 10%. so if i sell through eBay i'll list for $110 or $120 to at least get what i paid and a little profit for the trouble of listing and going to the PO. then if the next person does the same over time the prices rise. When i sold last year i looked at ebay prices since a lot of my ponies were bought years ago and the prices had changed. then i ended up doing auctions for the ones that didn't sell. i also took offers for some. i don't really like selling ponies but sometimes life circumstances take preference. being able to sell my ponies has helped me through a few rough patches.

i have mixed feelings about the rise in prices. it makes collecting a lot more expensive but i guess it's just how markets work. i'm not going to sell a pony at a low price if i can get a higher price. unless it's a special circumstance. but it does seem silly at times when a plastic toy that originally cost $4-5 are being sold for over $100. i don't really like the idea of certain ponies being a status symbol.

Here's another article i found when i was trying to find out what ponies cost in the 1980s. https://www.eightieskids.com/8-my-little-pony-toys-that-could-earn-you-a-fortune/ it's also very silly.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 10:27:00 PM »
I absolutely love that half of these decline to mention that the reason that some of these examples sold for so much was the fact that they were either 1)euro/nirvana, 2)MOC, or 3)both. Does this mean I can now make bank on the ~5 different Medleys and Moondancers sitting in a basket waiting to be washed for at least 3 yrs now? I can see the dollar signs already.

Reminds me of the article that stated that the Baby Moondancer from Greece was sought after because her symbol is a star & moon, and definitely not the fact that she's FROM GREECE.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »

Saved a picture. Looks genuine to me, and it did sell for $1100. (I realized the reason the seller listed it as "Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations" is probably because it's the only pony in that pose sold in US stores)

Also got to add that I found this sentence in the article very funny: "The Medley ponies are notable for their Pegasus-like tiny wings on their side." (as if it's a unique feature to her only  :P)

There's so much text in this article that seems like it was added just to meet a word count. :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2022, 12:54:55 PM »
That makes sense. Lucky is more likely. It may be real. I have seen less convincing 'prototypes' sell for more.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »
Oh how I hate clickbait.  now everyone is going to think it's normal and acceptable to charge $30 for Peachy and anyone who knows I collect MLP is going to assume that I am funding my child's college degree with plastic horses! 

oh to return to the days of spending $20 on a random ebay "horse toy" lot with a scan of a few ponies thrown onto the scanner bed, and getting a whole banker's file box of MLP in return
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal