collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rarest ponies top 10 list  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
Rarest ponies top 10 list
« on: January 15, 2022, 11:20:27 AM »
Hey everyone!
I just stumbled upon this website and I think I'm missing something.
Ok, some ponies belong in this list but others???
https://rarest.org/entertainment/my-little-ponies

Am i missing something or is this just something made by people who dont know what they are talking about?

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
Re: Rarest ponies top 10 list
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 11:43:54 AM »
>Medley and Moondancer
>no Mimic or Takaras

H-Huh??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 11:59:47 AM »
Oh no, I forsee a skyrocket in prices...

But I would like to know where they got the prices for these ponies. Some I can see but others???  :huh:

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 12:15:13 PM »
maybe a Greek Medley? this article feels like someone just looked at eBay and made some assumptions. I agree on some of these but it seems like they picked ponies with rare variants. its a little misleading for a non MLP collector who just skims through and then lists ponies found in their attic on eBay. it has the feel of those "you may have rare items in your attic" local new articles i see from time to time. they say all my little ponies are valuable because a super rare variant sold for a few thousand.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:42:49 PM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 12:34:31 PM »
I read the small print and noticed that the prices are for a MIP Medley or a prototype BB Sweet Celebrations. But even then they don't sound right. Anyway, I agree that it's an odd article. You'd have to compare prices of all loose ponies or all MIB ponies for it to make sense to me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:37:22 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:24:09 PM »
In short. It's nonsense.

Also damaging nonsense, because it looks like it's based around factual information.

I believe there probably have been MOC versions of some of these sold for those prices; whether they actually sold for it or were listed at that price is debateable. But the price for Pristina in box sounds like something you'd see on ebay these days.

I suspect it's not done with malice, just confusion based on ebay prices and maybe garbled ebay descriptions.

So just a note here. The images are from the MLP wiki. So is some of the erroneous information. For example, MLPWiki reports that Spain only had mother and father from the Sweet Celebrations family. That's not true. They had the whole family in Spain, and across all of Europe. The mother and father reference means made in spain, not released in Spain.
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sweet_Celebrations_Family

The person who wrote that blog did their research, but mistakenly.

I don't know where the prototype information came from but suspect a confusion between the prototype birthday babies and the real release, since the SC family are also party themed.

Not all the details are incorrect. That is indeed a Canadian Moondancer MOC. Many of the small details about the ponies are not incorrect either. Some are, but a lot suggests reading of an ID site, probably also the wiki.

The reality is that so long as there are websites online with ambiguous, gappy or false information about any pony release, lists like this are inevitable. Wrong information gets spread about more easily than it is to fix. I've seen just as mad things said on the Arena and online over the years, some of which have ended up costing people money. It's just a good lesson to remind people to do proper research before buying a pony, and before sharing information about a pony online, because it can turn into a monster very easily.

In regards to them being the top 8, I can only assume this was a sweep done right before Christmas based on what auctions were on sale at the time. The motivation behind it is a mystery though.

I wouldn't include Mimic in a list of the 8 rarest anyway. Most likely they would all be OOAK ponies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
it looks like a clickbait type site. they have a lot of links back to eBay so maybe an affiliate marketing campaign for eBay. the social media links go nowhere. to me it seems like someone trying to make a little money with some hastily produced content.

i don't think its malicious either. their about page says its for entertainment purposes. it does bother me that they are equating expensive with rare. i'm not sure why they have a .org
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 03:53:32 PM »
So, we're on par with Beanie Baby collectors now?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 05:08:57 PM »
Wow, I wish I had the confidence the person who wrote the article and asserted that information as factual despite having done .2 seconds of research has.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 06:20:21 PM »
Lol, wow. *looks at my Medley on my shelf* never knew I had such a goldmine there :P

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »
Since they included Nirvanas they really should have put Greek Ladybird at number 1.

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 06:29:33 AM »
This was pure torture to read! :lol: Basically every other sentence in the article contains a factual error. Or (possibly even more annoying to me) statements that are somewhat based in fact, but they phrase it in a way that would give most people the completely wrong impression. It's unfortunate that some of the misleading phrasing comes from the MLPWiki, but the writer of the article further muddles things up to make them even more misleading.

But yeah, this article clearly isn't intended for MLP collectors, but rather the general populace who find it amusing that old toys are selling for a lot of money (and might want to check if any of their old toys are on the list). It's not an accurate account of what buying/selling old MLPs in general is really like, but most who click on the article won't care.

I don't know where the prototype information came from but suspect a confusion between the prototype birthday babies and the real release, since the SC family are also party themed.

A "Prototype Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations" was listed on eBay back in November last year. Basically a white blank of the baby brother pose without hair or paint. So there was likely no connection to the prototype mail order birthday babies.

Offline thebluewolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 12:37:58 PM »
I may not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to pony rarities but even i was able to see that this article was full of nonsense.. That hurt to read

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 03:50:52 PM »
I dont think Id take that as a good top 10 list. I wonder what they were thinking??

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 04:55:03 PM »
Wow, I have Moondancer, Medley, AND Princess Pristina! Who knew I had so many rare ponies?  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:30:07 PM by FernMariposa919 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal