collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will anything happen if I don't remove tail rust?  (Read 480 times)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Will anything happen if I don't remove tail rust?
« on: January 11, 2022, 12:09:14 PM »
I have a G1 pony that I got last year from facebook marketplace. She came to me with tail rust. At first I thought of trying to remove the head so I can clean it on the inside.... but I was too scared to remove the pony head. I heard stories about the rust spreading and destroying the pony, is that true? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Personally for me the rust is only visible at the root of the tail so it doesn't bother me that much (from an aesthetic point of view). But I am worried of damage that might happen to the pony in the future if I don't do anything about it.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Will anything happen if I don't remove tail rust?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 01:19:11 PM »
It's possible, but unlikely to spread if you keep her out of water and humidity.

Removing G1 heads are usually quite easy. A dip into boiling water will usually be enough to loosen the glue. If you have a really stuck on head, there is usually a small part of the neck that is open. I can usually just wedge something into this gap and, after boiling, pry it open. I have had to use an exacto blade before to get this gap started or cut into stubborn glue, but give the boiling water a try first (if you can't just rip it open as is, which I am able to do on quite a few of mine).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 01:25:35 PM »
If the tail is rusty, it's also likely that the glue will be weakened so should be fairly easy to get off. I agree with Tailrustedtealeaf, that's a good description. I soak in hot water then pry at the neck seam gently with something flat and blunt like the end of a teaspoon handle. Watch out for the plug inside - the plastic is thinner and if you go in too far you can rip it. If there is rough glue left of the edges you can sand it away gently later when the pony is dry.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:25:43 PM »
Yeah, it'll slowly spread.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Will anything happen if I don\'t remove tail rust?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Οkay I have a question! If I manage to remove the head. Will the rust be easy to clean? And do I have to completely remove the old metal washer or can I just clean the washer and put it back on?

And also I am worried if the neck will look wonky after I'll put it back on.... I don't have that many G1's so I am paranoid about ruining my Peppermint Crunch:S

Post Merge: January 11, 2022, 02:16:56 PM

Αnother question... is there anyone here on this forum that would be willing to restore my pony a little bit? My Peppermint Crunch has some other issues too besides tail rust... her forelock is cut short and the symbol paint is rubbed a little bit. If anyone is willing to do this as a commission for me, I would gladly pay... as long as the price is reasonable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:16:56 PM by sunshinedim »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:57:57 PM »
I've found that the rust is fairly easy to get off of the body itself, if it is on there, but can be a bit tricky to remove from tails. I usually completely remove the washer, but you can opt to put it back in.

If you are looking for someone else to restore her instead, I would suggest putting out a request on the Wanted! board. There should be a few people willing to work on her rust and other issues on your behalf. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »
In terms of cleaning rust, generally it will come out of the tail eventually, you just have to be prepared to soak and scrub. (I use a combination of a hot oxyclean bath and rust remover for scrubbing, and shampoo/conditioner afterwards)

Like tailrustedtealeaf said you *can* put the washer back on if you want to, but I would recommend replacing it with a pair of zip ties.

Whether you DIY it or commission it, good luck restoring your peppermint crunch  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal