collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your 2021 art summary and onwards to 2022!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Your 2021 art summary and onwards to 2022!
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:05:55 AM »
We discuss our collecting goals a lot but how about a look into your artistic activities? :) Let's do a 2021 recap and discuss our goals or intentions for 2022!

I'll add some prompt questions below but feel free to approach this topic in any way you like  ^.^

• How was your 2021 in terms of arts and/or crafts? Especially compared to 2020 or previous years?
  • Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
  • Pony art? Non-pony art?
  • What was your favourite medium to work with?
  • What were your areas of improvement?
  • Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment!
  • Which 2021 piece are you most proud of?
  • Show us your 2021 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere)
  • Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2022?
  • What would you like to try or experiment with?
  • Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist!
  • Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like?
  • If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2022, what would it be?

:art: :art: :art:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Your 2021 art summary and onwards to 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:29:31 AM »
Ooh, fun! :)

How was your 2021 in terms of arts and/or crafts? Especially compared to 2020 or previous years? It was better this year. I'm still not where I want to be as far as finishing projects, but I did actually start and finish a few, so that's good.

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission? I did use a new technique! A way to sculpt water with toilet paper :P What I used it on isn't finished (see above) but I definitely plan to finish it. I also made a sculpture from scratch which is something I haven't done in a very long time... well, that's not true. I HAVE done sculptures but in miniature. This was a big one with inner armature and all that.

Pony art? Non-pony art? Yes and yes! I made - and finished - one custom pony and the previous mentioned sculpture, which is definitely non-pony :lol:

What was your favourite medium to work with? Polymer clay will probably always be my favorite.

What were your areas of improvement? Hmm. I'm going to go with the armature for the sculpture. I hate HATE making armature and usually hurt myself in the process (poked with wires or cuts from foil) but I tried to remain relaxed and didn't maim myself. Plus, it turned out to be very sturdy and I only had to make a few small adjustment when I added the clay.

Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment! Painting eyes on the custom I finished :(  I was never OMG AWESOME with eyes but I was fairly decent. The lines would be straight and not too thick or thin. Always had trouble with lashes, but could still manage. My tremor from medications made painting them very difficult. I used all the tricks I know, and they still turned out bad.

Which 2021 piece are you most proud of? The sculpture! I only had... 10? Days, maybe less, to make it. Not only did I make the goal but it won second place in the contest it was made for :)

Show us your 2021 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere) I've never done one of these. I never make enough stuff to fill it in :huh:

Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2022? Yes. Like I said, I have an awful problem actually finishing the things I start. I want to complete everything that is currently a WIP, which is 3 customs. I also want to do more art in general, more sculptures from scratch, more ponies, more minis.

What would you like to try or experiment with? Powered enamel. My favorite miniature artist (who sadly stopped sharing her work, but all her videos are still up) introduced me to it. She used it to coat mini appliances, and it has such a cool look. I've wondered if it would be possible to use it on a pony and want to try it.

Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist! I needed more black and white paint, but already bought those. I guess, new clay? I can always use more clay. I'm not really looking to purchase one, but an airbrush booth with a ventilator would be nice to have. I'm still using a big box :P

Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like? I'd like to do a private custom pony swap :) But I'm not ready yet :lol:

If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2022, what would it be? I've had a Big Brother with wings needing paint and hair for 3 years now. I'd really like to cross him off my to-do list.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 06:24:14 AM »
How was your 2021 in terms of arts and/or crafts? Especially compared to 2020 or previous years?
I´ve been in a bad place with drawing and painting for many years now. However for the end of this year I really started to get serious again which feels thrilling.

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
I´ve been trying to go a bit more realistic with my style. In October I joined "Inktober" and also I got myself a new set of watercolors and that has certainly sparked the inspiration in me.

Pony art? Non-pony art?
For now, mostly non-pony art but pony art will always be my "safe-place" :heart:

What was your favourite medium to work with?
I'm totally in love with watercolor at the moment!

What were your areas of improvement?
Not sure if I have any improvments for the short period of time I've been drawing this year but I'd like to think I'm starting to get the hang on watercolors and maybe animal art in general.

Tell us about your worst art-related mishap or biggest disappointment!
I make mishaps all the time... I'm a perfectionist and I am my own worst critic and I think that is a big reason why I stopped doing art. Nothing felt good enough and I put to much pressure on myself which in the end resulted in that it was not fun to draw. But I'm learning to work around that and ignore mistakes and just have fun and not stress about mistakes  :blush:

Which 2021 piece are you most proud of?
I'm not sure. Maybe this frog I finished the other day. Mostly because it was so fun to paint. Made with watercolors.

Ponywise I think it's this one I made with Promarkers:

Show us your 2021 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere)
Um, I made this one with a few of the pictures I made since oktober since I haven´t been very active with my art before that ^.^

Have you made any art-related New Year resolutions or set any goals for 2022?
Just hoping to keep the spark and do more art in general and continue with watercolors. :blush:

What would you like to try or experiment with?
I'd like to try out gouache more. It seems like a fun medium. I also hoping to do more crochet with all the yarn I have laying around!

Are you planning to buy some new art supplies? Show us your wishlist!
Haha, I just ordered a new set of watercolor today. A boxset of 48 half-pans of Schminckes watercolor. Made it a christmas present for myself since I've been oogling it for a while now  :biggrin:

Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like?
I finally got myself to paint again after all this time and I really like to focus on just having fun and experiment so I don't plan to do any swaps or commissions at the moment. Of course it could change depending on my mood/free time :D

If you were only able to complete one art piece in 2022, what would it be?
Something with watercolors :heart:

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 07:12:42 AM »
How was your 2021 in terms of arts and/or crafts? Especially compared to 2020 or previous years?
This year turned out really weird for me and I spent from mid feb to like may without being able to do much of anything because of my health but as my strength started coming back I've gotten to where I'm able to do a bit more.
A lot of my creativity has been focused on my dolls as they've been where I've turned for my self help therapy when I need an escape.
I've lightly customized an Icy doll named Spunky, face upped and body blushed a Dollzone Arwen named Aiko, made a few doll wigs and a couple of outfits for some of my dolls.

Did you try anything new, like new tools or techniques, new styles or subject matters, or completely new artsy or craftsy hobbies? Maybe you participated in a swap for the very first time, or took on your very first commission?
I've not really tried much new this year, mostly been trying to find my way back to the areas where I was comfortable but I have started carving and sanding a Blythe face plate so we'll have to see how that pans out as I've not had much experience doing that.

Pony art? Non-pony art?
All of it has been non pony other than my Halloween Coloring Contest entry.

I'm not sure, as much as I loved doing the face up and blushing on Aiko, my favorite things I've made have been some of the clothing I've sewn so I guess I'll go with fabric for favorite medium.

What were your areas of improvement? I feel like my hand sewing is still improving and I'm hoping that in time I can improve on my little sewing machine as well as it would speed up the process by a lot.

I sometimes sleep with my dolls when I need a little extra comfort and I had been sleeping with my 1/3 scale boy "Janus" beside me for a while and I guess I kind of forgot he was there some night and slept on the hard cap wig I had made him, destroying it in the process. I'm not too upset about it though since wigs are something that I know I can make again and have them turn out better most often.

That would be the lab coat and stethoscope I made for my doll Vish since he has accompanied me to all my appts since my diagnosis.

Show us your 2021 Summary of Art if you've made one! Templates can be found online (dA and elsewhere)
I don't have one of these but some pictures of my doll things can be found on my instagram @zel.graywords if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Not entirely but I'm wanting to get a lot of things more in order with the new year and I'm hoping this will work into my creativity as well.

I'm wanting to try my hand at eye making. I see so many customizers on YouTube making eyes for their dolls with uv resin and I'd like to try myself because some of my dolls would really work best with custom eye designs as well as the fact that designing the eyes has always been one my favorite parts of any kind of character creation.

I would like to buy the supplies for resin eye making but it's not something I'm looking into til later in the year.

Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like?
I'm not in a situation where I could do a swap right now but the idea always sounds wonderful. I'd love sometime to be able to participate in a custom doll or pony swap at some future date but it is a date that currently hangs far in the future.

I suppose I will find out if it happens.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »
I've been improving and trying out new techniques and mediums. I also upgraded my art software and set up a real portfolio. Besides that, nothing too notable.
I've been using new brushes, discovering new features, etc. I've been trying to branch out and draw larger images and do more backgrounds.
Pony art? Non-pony art?
I mostly do non-pony art, but I definitely have been drawing them this year.
Digital is still my go-to.
Definitely coloring! Inking as well. I've found an ink brush that really works well for me.
My tablet broke early this year. Does that count?
My favorite non-pony piece was this pic I did for Art Fight

I was trying to emulate the current Sonic Channel style, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. As for my favorite pony piece, it's probably my entry for Charmer's Christmas Carol competition. I spent a lot of time on it, and I'm very happy with the end result.
Spoiler
January

February

March

April

May (WiP; was gonna be a Mother's Day pic)

June this one may have actually been July

July

August

September

October (another WiP)

November

December

I'm going to try and get back into animation, and I want to 3D modeling and sculpting.
Backgrounds! Also shading.
Just sewing supplies and stuff for pony customs.
Are you looking to do any art swaps (private/group swaps, on the Arena or off-site)? What kind of swaps would you like
I would like to try and get around to it. I really want to do a custom pony swap!
I'd finish up one of the commissions in my queue.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »
Fun!

I made a lot more art in 2021 than I have for years, actually! It's been a good art year. Still not as much art as I'd like to do, and I'm in serious need of new tools, but it's been good getting some of the artsy mojo back. I largely have AnnaPommes to "blame" for this x) (I am very grateful)

Yes! I've had stuff (properly, professionally) printed, and done an art Kickstarter for the first time! It was a great experience, and I am now drowning in washi tape I designed. I've been working toward being able to do art for work again, after spending the last 7 years on 100% disability, and I feel like it's a possibility now to do a small % of work (as in art). I never did do prints though so it's been new and fun. Also been trying out new ways of sketchbooking, including mediums like watercolour wax crayons (THEY'RE SO FUN!!!) and acrylic. (done acrylic before,but never in sketchbooking)

I also did happy mail for the first time (thanks Griffin for that swap!) which was 100% my jam haha.

Pony art? Non-pony art?

Both! But definitely mostly pony/equine this past year.

Watercolour is always my go-to, and I add coloured pencil and gouache on top. That, or just b/w ink drawings.

My post-scan editing skills (as that was needed for printing - again huge thanks to pommes for teaching me. I'm ridiculously bad at editing >-< ) have gotten a lot better, and I've brushed up on my watercolours a lot. As well as falling in love with digital art again after rebuilding my PC finally. No more lag! (Just my tablet that needs replacing now xD)

Oh dear, um... I don't think anything massively bad happened actually. My PC croaked (or rather, it worked, but it was completely impossible to do any kind of art, and the screen calibration went to poo... ) just after sending all the project stuff off to print, and I was worried I wasn't gonna be able to do the xmas swap, but things worked out and I was able to rebuild it. That's probably the worst thing that happened. ^^' I was stressed about it though, as it threatened all my future art plans for a while.

I should be picking one of my project pieces, but it's probably this one! I love how it turned out and I had so much fun with it.

I forgot about these!
I put this together. Some months I just have BuJo doodles. The Baph doodle is now a tattoo! (on me xD ). In september/october I made a bunch of paintings for the project.  Great to see how it picked up as the year went on :D

No resolutions. Or, well, you could call it a resolution I guess, to buy a new drawing tablet. But I have a lot of goals for my art for this year, including working even harder toward the business thing :) Maybe I can open up for commissions again at some point too. ^^

More mediums, and get even more comfortable with the ones I use a lot. I want to push myself out of my comfort zone as well with mediums I'm not 100% fond of, like acrylic. Try and like it a bit more :)

Oooooh yes.

*Tablet. (I'm on an old bamboo pen&touch and it's literally dying ;_; )
*watercolours need replacing, i'm almost out of some colours.
*coloured pencils, same there.
*Want to get back into markers, so have to replace those as well.
*ALL. the. paper.

And I'm a yarn/fibre artist as well, so that's a constant shopping list of wool and yarn. xD
Honestly I could go on for ages, basically I have to build up an entire art studio, ive been using the same stuff for so many years and things have gone bad/dry/ran out.

I'd love to do more flatmail/happy mail swapping! and I'll be running ATCs as usual. I'd love to do some private trades as well.

Oh... hm. No idea. O-O if I can say a project instead of a piece, I'd pick to only work on the board game my hubby and I are working on. But thats probably cheating xD So I'd probably make another piece that can go as tape, print and sticker design :) Not sure though xD Don't make me choose!!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal