collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you celebrate the new year?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
How do you celebrate the new year?
« on: December 29, 2021, 06:43:25 AM »
If you celebrate at all, that is :)

When I was a kid, my dad would always take me to the beach to see the big fireworks show. Now I'm not a fan of fireworks. I find them annoying and they're bad for the wildlife. Plus, the last time I saw any in person a large canister fell on my shoulder and that freaked me out a bit.

I used to stay up and watch the festivities on TV, like the Times Square party. I don't even do that anymore. I think last year I was already in bed :P

What are your plans?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you celebrate the new year?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 07:10:09 AM »
I just wait until midnight, check the celebrations on tv sometimes, and after twelve I will also watch fireworks through the window (as kids we would also fire some ourselves), that's pretty much it.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 10:09:34 AM »
Usually we just make a nice dinner and stay home. Every time i've tried to plan something outside of the house it ends up being a disaster. We used to live close to the part of town where the NYE fireworks display was so we could watch the fireworks from a safe distance and stay indoors. now we're out in the suburbs so we just hear all of the noise but can't really see anything. mostly we just comfort the dogs. i'm not a fan of all of the loud fireworks either. especially when people set off the rest of their firework stash throughout the week. It's very disturbing to hear loud bangs when it isn't NYE or July 4th! When we lived in San Antonio one year people were setting off fireworks on Christmas Eve!

I'm like you BC and am usually in bed before midnight. We don't really stay up late anymore. and i think NYE is a little overhyped as a time when you're supposed to be at some great party. i've stopped pressuring myself to plan anything big and i just relax and mentally prepare for the next year.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
No big plans this year, my sister was going to come over but she had to cancel due to work and train schedules. So it's just me and my spouse. Some good food, maybe boardgames or tv... a quiet evening at home, keeping company to the cats in case they're afraid of the fireworks. I usully spend all of the evening indoors. :P Not a fan of fireworks myself and I wish they would ban them altogether.

Oh, and of course can't skip the tradition of watching "Dinner for One" on tv! :lol:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 02:36:53 PM »
I don't care about the whole New Year's Eve. I’m with my cats so they don’t have to worry about that shocking uproar that comes from the fireworks! Hopefully the fireworks would be completely banned after this celebration! Nature suffers the most from all this. Insanely noisy and rubbish everywhere.  >_<

As a kid, I was always excited about this and liked to send fireworks to the sky. One of the best festivities after Christmas.  :rolleyes: Thankfully, my mind has changed.

So my eve goes by listening to music and watching TV.  :relaxed:

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »
New Years' Eve has always been special to me because it's one of the very few times the whole family (as in me, my parents and my siblings) gets together for something other than food or TV ^^; I guess it's not as special to my mom though, as she and dad are going away specifically so she doesn't have to stay up and celebrate. No matter; my brother and I are still going to eat chocolate mousse and watch the fireworks and play video games together allll day. :D

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
It's never been something that I've done much to celebrate. Can't remember the last time I intentionally stayed up until midnight to ring it in.

I hate the fireworks because they disturb my dogs. =(

|My Collection|

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 05:58:06 AM »
In Scotland, it's not considered a Hogmanay celebration if there's no booze, & since I  no longer drink, well, that's out. Also, not big on fireworks, no TV, & pandemic & no offline friends. Won't be celebrating
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
Used to stay up and watch the ball drop on Times Square on TV or YouTube, but the pushy advertising has gotten so bad I don’t think I will this year. (That huge Kia ad last year was so distasteful.)
I may or may not stay up til midnight. I do plan on having a mug of spiced cider before bed to cheer in the new year and take some time to reflect on the past year and set some goals for the upcoming one. We are making a New Years meal of black eyes peas, cornbread & mustard greens.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 01:04:45 AM »
Up here nothing special. Stay up late watching tv with snacks and comfort my cats. Fireworks are not allowed anymore but there are still people who will light them. And there is the light children version which is allowed but still makes a lot of noise. We are also in lockdown so there won't be much going on either.
When it's all tempered I will go to bed because I have to work on New Years Day.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 01:45:25 AM »
In Scotland, it's not considered a Hogmanay celebration if there's no booze, & since I  no longer drink, well, that's out. Also, not big on fireworks, no TV, & pandemic & no offline friends. Won't be celebrating

:( It's so hard to know what to do this year. My Dad has srtopped taking alcohol and he likes Belvoir Ginger Cordial mixed with soda water as an alternative to beer. I like it with a squeeze of lime too. Will you find a film to watch maybe?

In 2020 I made a playlist and my husband and I got drunk and danced around in our living room. We were feeling more optimistic then. Last year passed us by, I think I watched Jools Holland but husband actually went to bed early. We were probably bickering which is why I can't remember it. I can't decide whether or not to drink tonight which means I probably shouldn't i.e. my mood is already low and drinking will just make me feel rotten tomorrow.

So to avoid a complete non-event I decided to make some plans for the two of us for tonight. I looked out a memory stick with some more of our photos on, so we will look at a few photos. I still need to get some wedding photos printed so he can help me decide which. I also joined BFIplayer which s the online streaming service for the British Film Institute. I got a year's subscription for £40, with the code XMAS40. Which, all things considered should be worth it this year especially once we get all the garage stuff out of the living room and finally set up the TV. In the meantime we have a laptop hooked up to hifi separates in the bedroom, so we can watch it on there.

I have also recently discovered this crazy unhealthy dinner and I shall share the recipe with you: a pack of sausages and a 500g pack of full fat mince. A pack of 'Just Roll' puff pastry. You can see where this is going! An egg. A teaspoon of mixed herbs, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, 1 small onion finely chopped, two large cloves of crushed garlic. Mix everything up with hands, wrap it all in the pastry and bake for 45 minutes. It's based on this recipe and I call it 'Mince Wellington' https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/nadiya-hussains-meatloaf-roll/ I am going to serve it with steamed cabbage, roast potatoes and some sort of gravy. i think I have some beef stock in the freezer. I will make crump for dessert. It's an old favourite made with cooked fruit in a large ramekin (quince, apple and apricot). For the topping you melt together 100g butter, 100g sugar and 4 tablespoons of flour, mix it and apply it in ugly lumps to the surface. I usually set the timer for 30 minutes while eating the main course. It never looks any prettier once cooked but usually gets completely smothered with custard anyway. This is my last 'unhealthy eating day' of the year  :blush:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
I'm a big Christmas fan, but I've never cared much for New Year's Eve. When I was little, it was pretty exciting to stay up till midnight, but now that I can do it all the time (in theory, anyway), I'm mostly fast asleep by 10 p.m. We'll see if I manage to stay up till midnight today.

There aren't any public fireworks displays allowed because of Covid, but last year, some neighbours across the road had fireworks on their roof garden, and that was pretty nice to watch.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
I love Christmas, but frankly I hate New Year's... just stresses me out, makes me feel like I'm running out of time or something. Silly neurotic stuff. x) I feel like that around my birthday, too. So I usually spend the day trying not to stress out, maybe try and clear some little things off my to-do list.. sorting files and the like. I do stay up, but not specifically for this - I'm a night owl, it's rare that I'm *not* up late, lol. We usually do have one of the New Year programs on the TV though, so I half-listen to that I guess. But yeah mostly I'm just glad when it's all over :silly:

Oh and since it's 12:21 am over here...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Offline Ponybookworm

• MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »
Bakana & I went out in case there were fireworks. None public, but there was some shooting off near the beach so we got to see. Now back home (wasn't for long)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
It's a tradition in our family to play games at new year. Board games and stuff, sometimes with our own twist. Often sister's partner is here too, not this year though. But it's always been a fun tradition, to spend a couple of hours playing silly games at the end of the old year and then welcoming in the new with the London fireworks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 01:28:28 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal