collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your six favorite post-movie G1 sets?  (Read 764 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
What are your six favorite post-movie G1 sets?
« on: December 08, 2021, 10:51:51 PM »
There are a lot of popular sets in the first couple years of My Little Pony.  The adult sea ponies. The Rainbow ponies.  The original Baby ponies.  The ENORMOUS first set of So-Softs.  But let's look at the sets AFTER the landmark "movie year" (with the first set of So-Softs, first Flutter ponies, etc).

Here are my top six:

1.  Twice As Fancy ponies, Set 1 (Dancing Butterflies etc.), I absolutely love them!
2. Twinkle Eye ponies, Set 2 (Quackers etc) - I'm a sucker for Twinkle Eyes!
3. Baby Rainbow ponies - a simple set, but so cute!
4. Princess Ponies, Set 1 (Princess Royal Blue, etc) - They're sooo beautiful with their tinsel and medallion symbols!
5. First Tooth Baby ponies - I had two of these as a kid and loved them!  And they were some of the last babies based on existing adult ponies.
6. Merry Go Round ponies - Not a bad pony in the bunch, all great colors / designs

Honorable mention:  Sweetberry ponies - They almost got the sixth spot!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What are your six favorite post-movie G1 sets?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 04:27:19 AM »
1987 & after top six:

1: Mountain Boys. I doubt I need to say why to anybody who has seen any one of them in person. Had two as a child
2: Princess Ponies. Because DRAGONS!!! Had one as a child
3: Newborn Twins. Cute cute cute cute cute!!! Had a pair as a child (purple & yellow pegasus twins), & they were a Christmas present when I had a cold on Christmas Day
4: Brush & Grow Ponies: Because LONG HAIR!!! Had my mascot Twisty Tail as a child
5: Sparkle Ponies. My second fave gimmick to glow in the dark stuff was all things glittery, & Sparkle Ponies are glitter, glitter, glitter!!! Had two as a child
6: Playtime Babies. I love me  some Boys, & these boys are adorable!!! Had Paws as a child, & always hunted for a toy Scottie dog for him
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 05:30:33 AM »
1: Brush and grows. Their hair is just amazing on so many levels. Love them.

2:Twinkle eyes. They are so unique and I have almost all of them.

3:Big brothers. I love them but their colours aren't too diverse. Lot's of pink and blue. A bright green one would have been cool.

4: Colourswirl ponies. Harder to get and sometimes overlooked. They are really pretty.

5: Pony friends. Just a really cool thing imo.

6: Pearly baby ponies. Not just the seaponies, who are also cool, but the regular ones. They are really stunning and I love the use of different colours.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
So those are the sets made after 1986?
Than mine are:

1: Sundae Best Ponies
2: Candy Cane Ponies
3: Sweetberry Ponies
4: Twice as Fancy Ponies set 1
5: Perfume Puff Ponies
6: Princess Ponies

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
I'm assuming this means all sets from '86/"Year Five" onwards...

In no particular order:
1. Big Brother Ponies - Just the best, I love their molds and feathering, and cute hats and bandannas, and just... aaah! I'm a sucker for boy ponies!!! And don't make me pick between the two waves... I can't! :p
2. Twice as Fancy, Wave 1 - Wave 2 is also gorgeous, but wave 1 has my heart (though it was very close!). Some of the most beautiful designs in all of G1 in here. I really love ponies with extended symbol designs!
3. Best Friends Babies - I really love the simpler colourschemes of these. The more gimmicky ponies are cool too, but my favourites tend to be the simpler ones (which sounds weird/contradictory since I just said how much I love TAFs, but... oh well :P).. the nice and "basic" designs of these three really appeals to me, as do their bright, bold colours. And of course their little animal friends <3 just wish the pets weren't so difficult to find! Their names are cute too - Always loved the name "Billie" for a girl. Weird for a pony, but still :P
4. Mountain Boys - I! LOVE! BOY PONIES!!! And the MBs are just darling, their pretty and delicate colours, the weather theme, and those FRECKLES!! Ahhhh! Just the best.
5. Loving Family Ponies - Boys AND TAF-esque symbols, what more could I ask for?! I'm also always a sucker for family sets, there's something about them that's just so cute and classic. I really love how they did the babies' designs for these, too - combining traits from both parents for their symbols was just genius. I was debating between including these or the Family Friends, but I decided to go for the Loving Families in the end since I like them a little bit better (shire horse mold! Also because they're easier to find ^^;). But if we could put more than 6, I'd have included both for sure ;)
6. Ohhhh this is a tough one. So many to choose from (I had it narrowed down to about 15 sets! :P).. aaahhh... can I just go for a tie between the Pretty Pals and the Sweetie Babies, is that okay? ^^; The Pals are just adorable, I love the non-pony animals (wish they'd made more! and wish they'd bring them back for new gens! *With* symbols, if you please, Hasbro! :P The G4 hippogriffs were gorgeous, just wish they'd had symbols!), and pairing them with baby ponies was just such a cute idea. Then the Sweetie Babies are completely adorable - again, I'm a sucker for TAF symbols - and their sweet theme is cute, and they're just so unique, real standouts.

Honorary mention: The princess dragons!! The princesses themselves are cute and all, but the DRAGONS omg <33 Also the Pony Friends, who I very nearly gave the sixth spot just for Kingsley (my love!).

Also if all the baby brothers (the ones with the ball-jointed heads, I mean) had been in one set, or if Playschool Babies/Schooltime Ponies had been one set, they may well have taken the sixth spot! Sucker for boys, like I said, and the school ponies are very sweet, there's just something very cute and appealing about them.

Ahhh, it's so hard to pick just six! :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »
Movie's kind of irrelevant here except for the obvious Movie Star release, but I guess they're ironically ruled out despite coming out after the movie xD. If they were allowed, I'd include them, but I guess they're not.

I'm probably going to echo Ponybookworm some though as 1987/8 are favourite years for me in general.

Mountain Boys. I don't need to explain this right? Childhood nostalgia also added in for good measure.
Party Ponies ( 1st set TAFs in the US) - just in general. Also the 2nd set but the first set are childhood nostalgia
Newborn Twins. All of them but especially the first release.
Princess Ponies. All of them, but particularly the princess-and-dragon release because it is awesome and as a kid I adored them.
Brush & Grow ponies. Because HAIR.

...Choosing one more is hard. I like the brother ponies fine, but I wouldn't call them a special favourite. I would consider TEs as being pre movie or during movie release especially here, so I can't count them really. Same for the 2nd set flutters, as flutters were in the movie, even if not Tropi's set.

Maybe the glowing magics? I do like them. Or maybe Windy Wings? But there are a lot of other sets that rank about the same with me.

The above five are also not necessarily in any order of preference. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 08:33:57 AM »
Big Brothers
Glow n Shows
Pretty n Pearly Baby Sea Ponies
Mountain Boys
Secret Surprise
Precious Pockets
Sparkle Babies and Ponies
Second set Twinkle Eyes
Playtime Baby Brothers
Sundazzles
Roller Skate Ponies
Seaside Babies
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 01:28:54 PM »
1. Newborn Twins
2. Twice as Fancy

Those two are my absolute post-movie ponies.  Newborn babies are so cute, I just melt when I see them.  And Twice as Fancy don't feel as gimmicky as the other ponies.  I feel they fit in well with the previous ponies and they are so pretty.

3. Flutter Ponies
4. So-soft ponies
5. Twinkle eyes

I don't know, I keep flipping 3 & 4.  I love ponies from both of those sets.

6. Wingers

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 06:12:49 PM »

1. Rainbow Curls
2. Candy Cane
3. Twice as Fancy Set 1
4. Merry Go Round
5. Loving Families
6. Newborn Twins

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »
1. Sparkle
2. Rainbow Curl
3. Rainbow Babies
4. Teeny Tiny Babies
5. Merry-Go-Round
6. Sunshine

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 09:44:23 PM »
Summer/windy Wings- They are soo adorable! I love how small they are and their transparent butterfly wings.

Twinkle Eyes - IMHO the TE are more colorful than even the rainbow ponies and I love them for that!

Twice as fancy- Just love the symbols all over their backs! And many of them have very nice color schemes too.

Big brother ponies - They just look awesome in their cute hats and scarfs.

Mountain boy ponies - Just... Boy ponies. Lovely colors and the colors and symbols are very appealing :)

Tropical ponies - This set has grown on me a lot for many years as I wasn´t into them when I started collecting. I just like their bold neon colors a lot.

(Honorable mention: Candy canes, Merry go round and Rainbow curls)

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal