collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Americans, are you doing Thanksgiving?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Americans, are you doing Thanksgiving?
« on: November 22, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »
Despite the actual history of America, are you doing anything for Thanksgiving? :)

When I was a kid we would decorate with fall leaves and corn, maybe a pilgrim here and there. But it was always mainly about the food. My mom used to host the extended family and sometimes the neighbors back in the day. Sometimes she'd make two whole turkeys. Cherry pie from scratch. Homemade mashed potatoes and marshmallow yams! Yum.

This year it's just going to me and my parents, so we're doing it simple. Mashed potatoes and stuffing from a box. Can shaped cranberry for my dad. A premade pumpkin pie (I'm not much of a fan) and a small skinless boneless turkey breast. I'll be making the green bean casserole and olive dip (this is my famous dip - cream cheese, green olives and walnuts. It's delicious!)

We don't really do the whole "giving thanks" thing. We never did, even back at the large parties. We just eat :lol:

What's your tradition?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Americans, are you doing Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
In our family, Thanksgiving is about getting together as a family and being thankful for what we have.  It's not about Pilgrims and their interactions with the inhabitants of the land they crashed into. 

So this year my nephew came down from college (I'm not old enough for him to be in college!) and my mom is going to make both a turkey and a ham because he doesn't like turkey (and grandma spoils the grandkids so she doesn't mind doing both) and I'm sure my brothers will come out with their kids and we'll all eat and play card games and listen to the nonsense that comes out of my brother's mouth (not G-rated but generally hilarious).  And we usually go around the table and say something that we're thankful for.  My mom will make multiple pies (Pumpkin, peanut butter, chocolate, banana, and a cheesecake), though my nephew also doesn't like pie so she might do brownies or imitation Crumbl cookies this year (our neighbor has a cooking blog and just released a cook book of the cookie recipes so we have that) as well. We tend to have fresh-mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows on top, cranberries (both whole and jellied), stuffing, green bean casserole (which I don't like but everyone else does) and my mom's home made rolls to eat with the turkey. And I'm sure my sisters-in-law will bring salads or Jell-O of some kind.  The children will shoot each other with nerf guns, chase the dog, feed the dog, watch Spider-man or Disney cartoons and generally have a grand time. 

In short: food, family, and fun.  :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
My girlfriend will be staying with my family for a few days and we're going to celebrate on Wednesday! My mom works all day on Thursday. We just take it as an opportunity to eat. We used to see extended family, but since my Celiac diagnosis we no longer do, and even before then, if my mom had to work that day, we would usually stay home.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
I will be going a few blocks to my sister's house.  I am making the stuffing.  Our tradition is usually good food and company.  It's probably my favorite holiday because of the weather.  But Halloween is good too.  Hard to choose.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 04:11:55 PM »
I already had Thanksgiving with my boyfriends family last week (they did it early bc half the family is going out of town), then on thanksgiving day I'm going to see my family. Black Friday will be my 'Friends-giving' which is a nice potluck this year, and I have a lottttt to cook. I'm looking forward to that the most. I just like having the food cause I can't always afford groceries these days.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »
My parents are coming over and we are keeping it simple! :)

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 02:10:11 AM »
Just gonna be me, my partner, his mother and close friend of mine this year.  I'm not doing a ton of side dishes and my friend is bringing dessert, so it's gonna be really low key.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »
Everyone's plans sounds nice :)

I forgot to mention Thanksgiving is my cats "gotcha day". She was a tiny little fluff on my porch :inlove:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
On the actual day will be staying home and cooking a turkey for the first time in my whole life because the Thanksgiving gift basket from work ending up being /everything/ for a Thanksgiving dinner. Not at all what I expected and floored by the generosity. Planning on visiting my family on Saturday.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
Other then the obligatory thanksgiving meal? No. I don't even wanna do that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 04:32:11 PM »
Went to visit my parents over the weekend and had Thanksgiving dinner there just my parents and my partner. we're not that into the holidays but we like to eat so we do enjoy the holiday food.

We haven't done the big family thanksgiving in quite a long time. Family drama. i love them but being around all of them is really stressful and tbh i don't feel like they really like me or make an effort to talk to me. and now that i live out of town i feel less pressured to try to have holidays with my extended family. The holidays haven't been the same without my grandmother. she was a character but i miss her. she always made the best desserts. but overcooked the turkey. she was kind of the glue holding us together.

My partner and I are going to have a quiet meal at home. which is good because i'm tired from traveling. i usually put up the tree after dinner but i'm not sure if i will this year. sometimes i just don't feel the holiday spirit. and we're moving soon so one more thing to repack.

my parents will probably go to my uncle's for thanksgiving dinner. as far as they know everyone is vaccinated. even the previous hold outs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:38:20 PM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 06:16:39 PM »
Me, my parents, brother's family and sister's family were supposed to get together last Sunday since my parents are at the beach this week.  But brother canceled and sister canceled, saying they were sick.  So I get to be all alone.  But that's nothing new.  I'm always alone.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 05:25:15 AM »
Aw, Gator :( :deathhug:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 07:03:17 AM »
My husband will cook Thanksgiving dinner this year, just for the kids and us. It's been a rough year...my husband's grandma passed away, and that is where we usually went. My parents and siblings always went to my aunt's, but she passed away in March. We thought maybe my parents would host it, but now my mom is in the hospital. I've been really lethargic these days, and told my husband I didn't want to cook (or more specifically, I don't want to do the cleanup!), so he decided to take it on.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 12:10:05 PM »
We usually stay home for Thanksgiving.  My mom makes a lot of stuff the day before like pies so she doesn't have as much to do on Thanksgiving.   

Before my grandpa died we would usually travel out of state to spend Thanksgiving with him.  Those times were not easy for me because my grandpa was in a nursing home and that usually meant my mom and I stayed at my grandpa's house 99% of the time while she cooked Thanksgiving dinner and then brought it to the nursing home to share with my grandpa until we finished eating and then we would go back to my grandpa's house so my mom could start cleaning up with while my dad stayed with my grandpa as long as he wanted.  I usually had to work on homework or a project for college during that time to so that meant that I was also trying to get that done.

A couple of years ago we went to my cousin's house for Thanksgiving but my mom got food poisoning because she ate some food that had been sitting out too long. 

We have the traditional Thanksgiving foods although my mom alters the recipe for green bean casserole because she doesn't like mushrooms or things with mushrooms in it.  We also have a family dish that we call noodles that I don't really know how to describe.  It's noodles that are cooked in broth and something else.  They are really good.  :)

Ponyfan   

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal