collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: She wrote to Basic Fun, you won't BELIEVE what happened next! Doctors hate her!  (Read 4549 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Not clickbait! :P

So I wrote to Basic Fun and said, essentially:  "I love your retro ponies! :inlove:  The Twinkle Eye ponies look great!  Are you planning on making more?  I hope you do!"

So after a while (quite a while because the US post office sucks now) . . . I got a letter back!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wow!!  So here's the gist of it:

We received your letter about the My Little Pony retro line and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how much you love collecting and playing with them! We will try to continue to produce and release more replicas of the originals (there are over 500 of them!!!) every season. A toy season runs "Spring" and "Fall" so every January and every August if you google "My Little Pony Retro Basic Fun" you may see the new items that we have launched that season.

Please feel free to check out www.basicfun.com to see our latest and greatest toys in case you see others you want. After the Twinkle Eyed Ponies, we plan on showing retailers the following to see if they want to sell them for us:

WOW!!  So (if the retailers will pick them up) they will be releasing the Flower Fantasy ponies from Year 10 / 1992!  No one saw this coming!!

I don't know if they specifically wanted a set of three ponies or if they really like lace or what, but that set is hard to find . . . In all my years of collecting (since the late 90s) I only ever found one in the wild!

For those unfamiliar with them, here are pics of them from My Little Wiki:

Spoiler

The one with purple hair (Love Petal?) is a long time want of mine so I'm pretty excited!   It also sounds like they want to sell them individually AND as a three-pack, which might make it easier to get all three.

The other good news is it sounds like they are game to keep producing retro ponies as long as they can find retailers to carry them, which is a relief.  I was sort of worried that they would stop after Target bailed.  (Of course I'd like to see the retros distributed more widely, but I will take limited distribution over cancellation any day . . . I hope the TEs sell so well that Target and other retailers want them again.)

Now the other question is . . . If the Flower Fantasies are planned for Fall 2022, what is planned for Spring 2022?  Nothing?  Still the Twinkle Eyes, since their distribution was slowed down by the port issues?  Some other set?  Hopefully we'll get answers at the New York Toy Fair or before!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:12:18 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
They are just hop skip n jumping around with these sets. Cool results Lady M! :hifive:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
This seems to throw the idea that they need to get the pony first out of the water since they are hard to find.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
Can't wait to see them, especially Sweet Blossom! :lovey: Thanks for sharing.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
THE HEADLINE ON THIS POST TOPIC HAS ME ROLLING!! :lmao: DOCTORS HATE HER! :lmao:

I'm so excited you heard back from them, and even got a pony to boot!! How lovely!! I hope they were encouraged by your letter, and I VERY much hope we will get flower fantasy ponies someday!!! :frolic: I still don't have originals, so it would be very cool to finally have a whole set!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Oh wow, this is so cool, I can't believe they wrote back! And dang, the FLOWER FANTASIES?!?! That's pretty much the last set I'd have expected! Dang. Nice to hear they're not out of the game yet!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
That's awesome that they wrote back to you AND that they are making that set!  I need one to add to my Sugarberry pose collection, and she is so hard to find...

Thread title is hilarious  :lol:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
fascinating!  i would definitely buy the Flower Fantasy ponies (again and again and again LOL)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
You get two cookies just for the lol title.

On topic, Wardah's right. They're not as expensive as Mimic, but they aren't exactly common. So unless one of the BF people had them in their attics...

There's something we can speculate on though - and it's genuinely wide open after this - and that's the fact that to produce the colorswirls requires two poses not yet in BF production.

So question time. Are we going to see a set with those two poses ahead of this apparent Flower Fantasy release?

Tic Tac Toe/Bright Eyes?
Crumpet/Taffy?
Strawberry Fair/Up Up & Away?

The letter says 'after the TEs' so maybe the first option not so unlikely...
TAFs seem a logical choice as well...

But if they're breaking chronology now, who knows.

And maybe it will be a thing going forward that we only get small sets/4 or 3 rather than 6, which means we might see more later sets that had 3 ponies or that sets with more ponies will continue to be cut down for production cost sakes.

This kind of letter is lovely, by the way. It reminds me of the letter correspondence I had with the Hasbro customer service team in 1995, when they were human beings who actually answered questions and didn't just copy paste some answer for wordcount (sigh). Nice to know some companies still work that way.

I'm interested that they're keeping going, since it was initially 3 years. They must be good sellers, which says everything about G1 tbh.

If the flower fantasies do happen, and get here, it will be a first for the UK. Not that BF producing ponies that Hasbro didn't sell here is anything new, but this is a kind of...a choice we didn't see coming.

@Basic Fun: Keep the longer hair please!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:34:15 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Wow, I am so excited for these!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Considering they made Her Majesty's Wallpaper and are making the Flower Fantasies, do you think we'll get some TAFs? My kid would kill for Sugarberry, Munchy and Night Glider.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone was betting on that set being next after the TEs! :lol:

I'm guessing BF chose this set because they will be eye-catching on store shelves. The hope might be that this will increase sales and will offset the cost of producing two new molds (although that has been the norm for most previous sets). This will also give them a good collection of molds to fall back on for possible future releases. It probably also helps that it's only three ponies so they can easily make the full set.

It's surprising they didn't go with the TAFs instead, since it's a similar gimmick and those ponies are very iconic and beloved. For the second TAF set they even have access to most of the molds already. But perhaps the Flower Fantasy ponies are just a bit more fanciful.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
I'm really glad they're doing a later G1 line this time around since they tend to be harder to find and more expensive. I wish distribution of Basic Fun ponies could be more widespread though. I love this set and it'd be nice to get these rereleases so I don't have to pay significantly more for the originals.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Interesting choice! I hope they continue this non-chronological approach, it makes it all the more exciting! I'd love to get the Tropical Ponies in the future!!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Glow n Shows! I desperately want a beautiful Star Glow without having to pay through the nose. :straw: :rasp: :banana: :apple: :pineapple: :dance:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal