collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How much would you charge for acrylic paintings?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline The-Extravagant-Pony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
How much would you charge for acrylic paintings?
« on: November 06, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
I typically sell sewn work so I'm not too familiar with pricing for paintings. I've been painting quite a bit lately though and I'm working on a few acrylic paintings with g1 style art. How much should I charge?

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: How much would you charge for acrylic paintings?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 03:52:27 PM »
I'd say it depends on how big the piece is, if it's background/no background etc. It's hard to give a general estimate. Can you post an example?

You could also look into selling prints of your art. That tends to move better, and you can sell the same piece multiple times, so to speak. But, give us some ideas of size, style, etc, and I'm sure we can help out!
:lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline The-Extravagant-Pony

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »
I'd say it depends on how big the piece is, if it's background/no background etc. It's hard to give a general estimate. Can you post an example?

You could also look into selling prints of your art. That tends to move better, and you can sell the same piece multiple times, so to speak. But, give us some ideas of size, style, etc, and I'm sure we can help out!
:lovey:

I'll definitely take pics! I'll have to try posting on IG and linking the post here though because I can't get back Into my Flickr account.  :(

Here's a small non pony painting that I just need to seal.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CV87oRGFgDj/?utm_medium=copy_link
This one is 4" X 6" . I'd make the paintings in various sizes.
I'm working on a Sugarberry painting currently. :)

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 02:46:32 AM »
Usually its the price of supplies + what you think your hourly wage should be for your time spent × the hours spent working and shipping as a side thing

So say you spent $5 total in supplies for this one project but you think you deserve $8hr and you spent 4hrs on the project, thats 5 + (8x4) so you would price it at $37 plus shipping
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »
I was price-checking on Etsy to see how much I should price my mini canvases for - people out there are charging $5! Like, dude! Painting in miniature is HARDER, I'm not sure what those guys are doing out there! :lmao: So unfortunately there will always be a wide variance of prices, so make sure you charge what feels fair for your size and level of detail!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
An amatuer(you may or may not be idk) could charge less than minimum wage. What is it worth to you? Some artists especially hobby/self taught just want to make a bit over the cost of supplies to support their hobby. If it costs $5 for supplies and takes 4 hours to draw and paint, would you be willing to paint one for $20? Or do you want it to be worth your time? I am professionally trained and it can be hard selling art and finding a niche or market for it. I'd try to keep it under $30 for you. You can always lower or raise your price if there is too much or too little demand.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:15:59 PM by Iceglider »

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
i was always told never charge less than min wage per hour and add in supply cost depending on if you used what was in stock or if you had to go and get more.

ultimately it is up to what you feel comfortable charging for your works, less as you are starting out some do just the cost of supplies, and then up the prices as they got better.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to SDS for my sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal