Pony Talk > Off Topic

Do you take vitamins or supplements?

<< < (2/6) > >>

SunPony:
I'm taking a large amount of vitamin D per my doc.  Sometimes I take a multivitamin if I feel like I didn't eat enough veggies that day.

Mewtwofan1:
No but I probably should take a vitamin D supplement, considering where I live. I’ve tried to take vitamins/supplements in the past but I forget about them too quickly because it’s not a very pressing matter to me. My arm isn’t falling off, so I forget about it.

BlackCurtains:
Vitamin D is popular. There is plenty of sun where I live (Florida is "the sunshine state" after all) but I don't spend a lot of time outside and when I do I try to avoid direct sunlight.

A lot of people don't know how much vitamin D contributes to mental health. Low levels can cause or worsen depression. When I started the prescription for it, it was something like 20,000 units, I felt so much better mentally. I take 5,000 units a day now and make sure I never miss any or run out, because I can notice a difference right away if I go a few days without it.

--- Quote from: Luxrayx on November 05, 2021, 02:07:43 PM ---The first time I went to my doctor, I was informed that I had the lowest vitamin D level he'd ever seen.
--- End quote ---

Same! My doctor said it might as well be zero, I had so little.

--- Quote from: Griffin on November 05, 2021, 09:35:29 AM ---Magnesium would be good especially when it's hot in the summer (I can't sleep and get restless feet when it's hot) but I haven't found one yet that would be easy to swallow. XD When it comes to food I have very few aversions or issues with texture, but large pills are something I can't do, and even small pills are problematic if they have a sort of chalky texture. Capsules and coated pills are usually ok... So, I stick to mineral water if I need magnesium. As for vitamins etc. I always buy chewable tablets if possible.

--- End quote ---

You should have seen the potassium pills I had to take, they were huge. Definitely the biggest pill I've ever had. My magnesium are pretty good sized too. I don't really have a problem with pills, but sometimes my throat rebels and I have to try again (maybe it's a subconscious reaction?). I agree with you about capsules being easier, about half my pills (including medicines) are capsules. My multivitamin is a gummy. The store is always sold out of the pill and at first I hated them, never been a fan of gummies. But I'm used to it and now, it's not bad and it's one less pill XD

--- Quote from: Beth3346 on November 05, 2021, 10:03:15 AM ---no prescriptions but i take vitamin c and b12. i also take melatonin to sleep and sometimes i take biotin and vitamin d. i'm not sure they do anything though. i'm overall skeptical about vitamins lately but the ones i take regularly taste good :)

--- End quote ---

Biotin is one I'm thinking about adding. It's supposed to be good for skin, hair and nails. As I said above, vitamin D supports mental health, so if you have problems with that, it's a good thing to take :)

--- Quote from: Mewtwofan1 on November 05, 2021, 11:46:12 PM ---No but I probably should take a vitamin D supplement, considering where I live. I’ve tried to take vitamins/supplements in the past but I forget about them too quickly because it’s not a very pressing matter to me. My arm isn’t falling off, so I forget about it.

--- End quote ---

I have a 7-day & night pill organizer, otherwise I would completely lose track. Maybe one of those would help you remember? I'm not a doctor (but I do have a lab coat!) but I recommend vitamins D and C. I think everyone should take those :3

Ponyfan:
I take a multi, C, D, E, and a probiotic. I also get a weekly B12 shot along with my Slim Shot that I'm taking for weight loss.

Ponyfan

Taffeta:
My mother and I were talking about this yesterday and looking up the vitamins in specific fruit and vegetables that I eat a lot of, and they do cover a lot. One advantage of me being home is that I'm in the house of people who can cook, and also the house of people who have quite strictly managed diets because of my Dad's genetic issues managing cholesterol. I mean, I wouldn't say my diet is as good as his, but when I'm here it's not bad.

I looked up my vit D and they're 1000 units. That's what I was advised to take by the doctor daily, I forget what the prescription was but my last blood test result was apparently also normal. I've also read that it can help mental health, but also that vit D deficiency is common in northern Europe (which the UK technically is) and also in autistic people so yeah, double whammy. My parents already take it mind you, my mother with calcium because she has osteoporosis as well as all the other things she has (headdesk).

My pills are really small, I can't take capsules as most of the ones that exist are coating either in something containing E numbers or they burn my throat. This applies to antibiotics as well. In the summer it was liquid vit D which tasted a bit like what I imagine it would taste like if I ate my shampoo, but I actually preferred it that way. I can swallow these tablets but you have to take them with a lot of water and that annoys my routine, which I'm still trying to build them into.

I know too much vit D can be bad for the kidneys and such but...I think you have to get to a serious level before that happens. I'm not sure about taking other vitamins and minerals, I prefer to do that via diet, but I'm hoping the vit D this winter will make me less inclined to hibernate ;) I always wondered why my brain went into sleep mode when the clocks went back, and now maybe I know...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version