collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you?

Yes
21 (70%)
No
4 (13.3%)
Sometimes
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Do you take vitamins or supplements?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Do you take vitamins or supplements?
« on: November 05, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »
I'm turning into my dad :lol: He has a briefcase full of vitamins and minerals. I started taking some more recently. I'm up to 7.

A couple of them were recommended by my doctor and I had to take prescription strength first (vitamin D and potassium). I take magnesium at night to stop my body jerking and twitching. In the morning I take a multivitamin, vitamin C, B12 and ginseng. The last two were what I started recently, hoping they would give me an energy boost. It's working so far!

I used to have to take iron for anemia but that's cleared up and I don't have to take it anymore. Those pills smelled so bad.

I've been thinking about vitamin E and biotin for my skin.

Do you take any supplements? What do you take them for? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Do you take vitamins or supplements?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »
Occasionally... No prescriptions, but up here in the north pretty much everyone should take vitamin D at least during the winter months. I take it when I remember :P Other supplements that I try to take at least every now and then include zinc (for a general immune boost as well as my nails and hair) and omega 3 / fish oil. I guess B12 wouldn't hurt either. When making food that is completely plant-based I usually try to put in some nutritional yeast which has B vitamins, folic acid etc. I eat animal products too so I don't worry about it too much.

Magnesium would be good especially when it's hot in the summer (I can't sleep and get restless feet when it's hot) but I haven't found one yet that would be easy to swallow. XD When it comes to food I have very few aversions or issues with texture, but large pills are something I can't do, and even small pills are problematic if they have a sort of chalky texture. Capsules and coated pills are usually ok... So, I stick to mineral water if I need magnesium. As for vitamins etc. I always buy chewable tablets if possible.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
no prescriptions but i take vitamin c and b12. i also take melatonin to sleep and sometimes i take biotin and vitamin d. i'm not sure they do anything though. i'm overall skeptical about vitamins lately but the ones i take regularly taste good :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 01:36:53 PM »
Up till this year, no, but I had blood tests in June which resulted in a Vit D prescription, follow up blood tests and the admonition that I should now take Vit D, especially through the winter, as a regular thing. So now I take Vitamin D, under doctor's orders.

Otherwise, no.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
The first time I went to my doctor, I was informed that I had the lowest vitamin D level he'd ever seen.

My doctor was only one year away from retirement at this time.

Needless to say, I've been taking vitamin D ever since :lookround:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »
I'm taking a large amount of vitamin D per my doc.  Sometimes I take a multivitamin if I feel like I didn't eat enough veggies that day.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 11:46:12 PM »
No but I probably should take a vitamin D supplement, considering where I live. I’ve tried to take vitamins/supplements in the past but I forget about them too quickly because it’s not a very pressing matter to me. My arm isn’t falling off, so I forget about it.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 06:10:46 AM »
Vitamin D is popular. There is plenty of sun where I live (Florida is "the sunshine state" after all) but I don't spend a lot of time outside and when I do I try to avoid direct sunlight.

A lot of people don't know how much vitamin D contributes to mental health. Low levels can cause or worsen depression. When I started the prescription for it, it was something like 20,000 units, I felt so much better mentally. I take 5,000 units a day now and make sure I never miss any or run out, because I can notice a difference right away if I go a few days without it.

The first time I went to my doctor, I was informed that I had the lowest vitamin D level he'd ever seen.

Same! My doctor said it might as well be zero, I had so little.

Magnesium would be good especially when it's hot in the summer (I can't sleep and get restless feet when it's hot) but I haven't found one yet that would be easy to swallow. XD When it comes to food I have very few aversions or issues with texture, but large pills are something I can't do, and even small pills are problematic if they have a sort of chalky texture. Capsules and coated pills are usually ok... So, I stick to mineral water if I need magnesium. As for vitamins etc. I always buy chewable tablets if possible.

You should have seen the potassium pills I had to take, they were huge. Definitely the biggest pill I've ever had. My magnesium are pretty good sized too. I don't really have a problem with pills, but sometimes my throat rebels and I have to try again (maybe it's a subconscious reaction?). I agree with you about capsules being easier, about half my pills (including medicines) are capsules. My multivitamin is a gummy. The store is always sold out of the pill and at first I hated them, never been a fan of gummies. But I'm used to it and now, it's not bad and it's one less pill XD

no prescriptions but i take vitamin c and b12. i also take melatonin to sleep and sometimes i take biotin and vitamin d. i'm not sure they do anything though. i'm overall skeptical about vitamins lately but the ones i take regularly taste good :)

Biotin is one I'm thinking about adding. It's supposed to be good for skin, hair and nails. As I said above, vitamin D supports mental health, so if you have problems with that, it's a good thing to take :)

No but I probably should take a vitamin D supplement, considering where I live. I’ve tried to take vitamins/supplements in the past but I forget about them too quickly because it’s not a very pressing matter to me. My arm isn’t falling off, so I forget about it.

I have a 7-day & night pill organizer, otherwise I would completely lose track. Maybe one of those would help you remember? I'm not a doctor (but I do have a lab coat!) but I recommend vitamins D and C. I think everyone should take those :3

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »
I take a multi, C, D, E, and a probiotic. I also get a weekly B12 shot along with my Slim Shot that I'm taking for weight loss.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 03:55:01 AM »
My mother and I were talking about this yesterday and looking up the vitamins in specific fruit and vegetables that I eat a lot of, and they do cover a lot. One advantage of me being home is that I'm in the house of people who can cook, and also the house of people who have quite strictly managed diets because of my Dad's genetic issues managing cholesterol. I mean, I wouldn't say my diet is as good as his, but when I'm here it's not bad.

I looked up my vit D and they're 1000 units. That's what I was advised to take by the doctor daily, I forget what the prescription was but my last blood test result was apparently also normal. I've also read that it can help mental health, but also that vit D deficiency is common in northern Europe (which the UK technically is) and also in autistic people so yeah, double whammy. My parents already take it mind you, my mother with calcium because she has osteoporosis as well as all the other things she has (headdesk).

My pills are really small, I can't take capsules as most of the ones that exist are coating either in something containing E numbers or they burn my throat. This applies to antibiotics as well. In the summer it was liquid vit D which tasted a bit like what I imagine it would taste like if I ate my shampoo, but I actually preferred it that way. I can swallow these tablets but you have to take them with a lot of water and that annoys my routine, which I'm still trying to build them into.

I know too much vit D can be bad for the kidneys and such but...I think you have to get to a serious level before that happens. I'm not sure about taking other vitamins and minerals, I prefer to do that via diet, but I'm hoping the vit D this winter will make me less inclined to hibernate ;) I always wondered why my brain went into sleep mode when the clocks went back, and now maybe I know...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 03:57:23 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 04:15:27 AM »
My kidneys are one of my organs that is in fact fine and has no problems :lol: But like I said, my level of vit D was so low it was like I had none at all. Too much of any vitamin can be bad, I know they warn about too much vit E, which I'm looking into taking too. I think they're regulated because you only ever come across 3% daily requirements for potassium, another one that can cause serious problems if you take too much. So even between my multivitamin which is 3% and the extra I take that's only 6%. The rest I get from food.

I can't really eat raw veggies and the good stuff in them is lessened when you cook them. I usually buy frozen, ready to steam veggies. Same with fruits I use in my smoothies. I buy potatoes and onions and eat them frequently. They keep a lot longer than other things. Potatoes are good for potassium :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »
My dr told me to stop taking B12 pills once I started getting B12 injections because taking both would be too much for my body to handle.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
I take cod liver oil with glucosamine to keep my joints well oiled so I’m more supple for pole dancing 😊

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 04:13:22 PM »
Nope and never have, maybe except for something effervescent when I feel sick, like recently after having my vaccine.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 04:56:43 AM »
Hmm. So the biotin I bought isn't just biotin, it has other stuff in it including vit A and my multivitamin also has vit A. I know you can OD on that. So now I'm not sure what to do. I guess it's my fault for not checking the ingredients on the website, but I thought it was like every other vitamin from the same brand and just contained what it said on the front label.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal