collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you drink Energy Drinks?

Yes
5 (22.7%)
No
15 (68.2%)
Sometimes
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Energy Drinks, do you use them?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Energy Drinks, do you use them?
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:07:38 AM »
I admit this post is selfish of me because I'm trying to find an Energy Drink that actually works :P

So far I've tried Starbucks and Java Monster (I gravitate toward the coffee flavors). Neither one did much of anything. Caffeine doesn't affect me like that. In fact, I can have 4 shots of espresso and go to bed. The coffee I drink every morning has espresso in it too and I drink it not to wake up but because I like how it tastes.

Sometimes if I drink two Dr. Peppers back to back, I can get a jolt or a sugar buzz, whatever it is. It doesn't happen every time, so I tend not to do it unless I'm desperate for some energy. It is short lived though.

Many years ago at a small convenience store, I picked up a little bottle of something called Dragon-something. It worked very well on me. I never see it anywhere though. It was in like a little plastic jug and had a black and gold label.

So back to the topic, do you find energy drinks helpful? What is your go-to? Or are you like me and they don't work on you?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:11:09 AM by BlackCurtains »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: Energy Drinks, do you use them?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
if you consider coffee an energy drink then yes. but only 2-3 cups in the morning.

i used to drink coffee throughout the day before i worked from home and it made me super irritable. whenever i drank coffee late into the afternoon everything would annoy me. I also used to drink 2 redbulls/day years ago. and i don't recommend that at all. i would feel great for about 30 minutes and then i would crash. also i started having chest pains after a while. not good! now i can't even stand the smell of redbull.

i do like coffee/espresso based drinks like lattes but i really only drink them for the taste.

i don't really find that coffee affects my sleep either. i've literally fallen asleep while drinking a starbucks latte. (i was watching tv in bed not at starbucks)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 10:59:24 AM »
Since I don't drink coffee (can't stand the taste even if you put so much sugar in it it's hardly coffee anymore) I usually treat myself to a Red Bull when I need it. I try to stick to the 8.5oz ones, sugar free when possible, and I try not to have more than three a week. It could just be a placebo effect for me, but I do feel it helps when I need it.

If I have a 12oz, or drink a Monster, I'll often find myself a bit too jittery and overwhelmed. G-fuel was too sweet and made me sick, Bangs are similar. I think Mountain Dew Game Fuel and Mountain Dew Rise taste good, but I feel like I didn't get an energy boost from them.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
I'm not supposed to have caffeine and I try to avoid having a lot of sugar... So I don't really use energy drinks.  But maybe there are some that don't involve either?  I would be interested in trying something like that just out of curiosity.

Sometimes I have some Gatorade after hockey, especially if we have back to back games.  Way back in my high school days I liked something called "ultra fuel" which I believe was a caffeine-free sports drink.  I'm not sure if it is still made, or even what exactly what was in it.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »
I'm kind of afraid to try Redbull or any of the Mountain Dews because I have two heart conditions. Though, again, caffeine doesn't make my heart race, neither does sugar (I don't think?) Dr. Pepper has 39g of sugar, which is more than the Java Monsters actually. Huh.

I think that little Dragon drink was mainly ginseng and other herbals and whatnot. I should do another search, see if I can find it.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
No, I've tried some years ago and they all tasted horrible. I haven't tried a coffee flavoured one but personally I wouldn't see the point as I can just have coffee instead. :D  In general I try to avoid sugary drinks, and I rarely feel the need for an extra boost. Not saying I don't feel tired, but maybe I'm just used to pushing myself if need be. Every now and then I've resorted to all-nighters (shame on me) but on those days/nights I don't have any extra caffeine, eating is more important.

I drink coffee but only a couple of cups per day, and I've been trying to replace my afternoon coffee with tea lately. With varying degrees of success... Today was a coffee day. :P It's more about the taste than the caffeine for me, though. Maybe I could try decaf... I won't give up my morning coffee though, not yet! :D 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 02:22:17 PM »
If anyone is looking for all natural, sugar free energy drinks I absolutely swear up and down by Yerbae. They’re a local company here in AZ, but it looks like they now sell across the US and also on Amazon. I know this because I was hoping to pick up a few while I’m in Texas for the Pony Friends Forever Convention. :P

I got a sample of them at Costco about 4 years back and I’ve been drinking them ever since. They’re actually marketed as “enhanced sparkling water” but eh, I call it an energy drink. :lol: It may be slightly a placebo effect, but they give me a far better boost of energy than any other caffeinated or energy drink I’ve tried. I feel alert and well rested (even though I’m usually not!) but without the jitters or racing heart that you might get with other brands. It’s really tasty to boot! The 16 oz flavors are sweeter than the 12 oz flavors imo.

To be fair though, like BlackCurtains I’ve never felt too much of an effect from caffeine anyway, so my word of “no racing heart or jitters” may be just more of a “me” thing than anything else.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »
I love Monsters but usually I just prefer to simply have a coffee.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
I'm like Sun Pony, caffeine is not really a friend to me, it takes very little to impact me quite a lot. I don't drink tea or coffee and I've never tried an energy drink, it's just not worth the risk. I've never drunk coke and I can't even tolerate additives or e numbers very well ;) Chocolate is my only caffeine vice and then only in small amounts at a time. So I can't help with this one.

I once had to take a paracetamol that had extra caffeine in it for pain before a root canal and I don't think I slept in 2 days. My mother thought it was hilarious. I didn't.

I'm guessing that caffeine is one of those things that the more you drink it, the more tolerance you get from it. I think energy drinks in too high a quantity can have detrimental health effects though, so something to keep in mind.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
I'm looking at other avenues to boost my energy. It's funny, because my regular daily coffee has more caffeine than the Monsters I bought, and Dr. Pepper has more sugar. The energy mix of the Monster drinks are interesting though and they do contain ginseng, but maybe not enough for me? Or I could be leaning too much on the whole "ginseng gave me energy once a decade ago" thing :P

Speaking of, I bought some B12 and Korean red(?) ginseng supplements. When I was on a cocktail of a steroid shot, a B12 shot and the first time I took my Vyvanse medicine, for the first three days I was feeling fantastic. I had so much motivation and energy I could barely sit still. I was pain free and in a great mood. I'm trying to recapture that.

If anyone is looking for all natural, sugar free energy drinks I absolutely swear up and down by Yerbae.

Amazon has variety packs and the price isn't bad. I'll keep this in mind :)

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 10:33:41 PM »
When I need to, I slam back a red bull!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:38:48 PM by Loa »

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 01:53:08 AM »
The way you say 'use' them makes them sound like something very inadvisable! I don't but my husband does. He has a physical job and sometimes has a tin of pop as my Nan would have said. I must admit some of the Monster ones do have a very nice flavour, but the best ones can be hard to get ahold of. Thier marketing is very good because people go hunting for them on Ebay and they become cult items.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 03:46:40 AM »
I've never had an energy drink in my life - most of them just look too sweet for me, and I'm one of those people on whom caffeine has no effect, so I can't see the point in me drinking them.

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 04:00:06 AM »
*looks at the can of red bull next to me* :blush:

I drink them, not sure often anymore, but I do use them.
Mainly red bull and monster (white, but the other sugarfree ones are good too). Only the sugarfree versions, I hate sugary drinks.
(and I love coffee. XD But can't always stomach it. energy drinks come in handy when that happens. )

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
The way you say 'use' them makes them sound like something very inadvisable!

LOL I had the same thought when I typed it :P But I don't think most people drink them because of the flavor alone, they drink them to get the energy burst. So it's using them for a purpose other than "I'm thirsty so I'll drink this"

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal