collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on unicorn horns?  (Read 1641 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Opinion on unicorn horns?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 01:33:37 AM »
Kirin aren't really unicorns though, at least not in the western understanding of what a unicorn is (the word kirin can be used for unicorn but it's also used for giraffe, so...yeah...let's not even go there). In any case, I am not quite sure how I see them, but I don't see them as a unicorn - more related to a deer than a horse? Maybe that's just the Japanese though, but it does feel that way (which would be more of an antler maybe than a horn...possibly?)

Personally, I've never thought about this before. I don't think I've a massive strong feeling about it overall. I was always happy with G1 horns as they were. I like statues with long pointed unicorn horns. I'm not wild about fakies in general, so am not sure if the horn/hoof thing matters to me...

I agree that horns do not belong on every species just to make money. But narwhals are fine :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 01:52:17 AM »
Kirin aren't really unicorns though, at least not in the western understanding of what a unicorn is (the word kirin can be used for unicorn but it's also used for giraffe, so...yeah...let's not even go there). In any case, I am not quite sure how I see them, but I don't see them as a unicorn - more related to a deer than a horse? Maybe that's just the Japanese though, but it does feel that way (which would be more of an antler maybe than a horn...possibly?)
IIRC, classical unicorns are closer to deer and goats than horses, so I can see kirins as the edgier cousin to unicorns.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 04:59:21 AM »
IIRC, classical unicorns are closer to deer and goats than horses, so I can see kirins as the edgier cousin to unicorns.

There is an old theory that a unicorn is actually a rhinoceros, so...:)

I guess I see your point, but for me they're distinctly different enough to not overlap. A kirin is a kirin to me, not really a deer and not a unicorn. Just a kirin.

But I'm not quite sure how the chinese (Qilin) is represented in general. The Japanese may have taken theirs closer to the deer because the deer is traditionally sacred in shintou, so I'm not sure if we're talking about two mythical creatures who have evolved from their roots or just one.

And the Japanese do use kirin to refer to a giraffe, which is definitely NOT a unicorn. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamsofUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
I actually did some research on kirin/qilin myths for a character and mlp got pretty close. Yes even the Nirik thing they had ties to spitting fire.
Just trying to make everyone happy.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
I'm also a fan of the Last Unicorn and I think that they are the ideal unicorn for me.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
I have no strong opinions on unicorn horns other than G4's were too stubby.

However...

In G5 it seems like the horns are on TOP of the head rather than on the forehead, which bothers me. A bit hard to tell on Izzy because of her bangs (it's hard to call it a forelock when there's so much), but it's very obvious on Alphabittle.

Right between the ears. I don't like it at all.

But maybe it's just a problem with Alphabittle? Don't feel like skimming through the movie to get profile views of background ponies, but the other unicorns don't seem to be as extreme. Would still prefer it to be further down.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »
^ TBH I think it's just the shape of his head and probably the angle, because unicorn horns are very difficult to draw from the front. :D And this generation seems to favour the front view a lot! It's probably related to the fact that the anatomy in general is closer to predatory animals (cats, dogs, humans), apparently to make them "cuter". But now that you mention it, the position kinda reminds me of anthro/human unicorns, or people wearing unicorn headbands. Anyway, any profile views I could find of G5 unicorns seem pretty normal to me. The G5 ponies have a rather weird skull shape...

As for non-MLP unicorns, you sometimes see interpretations where the horn doesn't protrude from the middle of the forehead but the top of the head (occipital crest? anyone here more familiar with horse anatomy?) so that it's kind of aligned with the spine. I guess anatomically that would make more sense. In fact, medieval and Renaissance depictions of unicorns tend to favour this style...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:30:17 AM by Griffin »

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 01:28:34 PM »
Spiral horns are the best. But depending on the unicorn, different horns may be better suited so I dont mind different styles. My big no no is when horns are put in the middle of the mane growth. That is just wierd... Its fine if the mane is styled  around the horn but it shouldnt just sit in the hair.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
I have always thought the horn on the dieu et mon droit crest is quite elegant actually.

Also thank you Griffin for separating mediaeval and renaissance. I see so many comments online where people say renaissance when they mean mediaeval...they overlap yes...but are not the same.

That first image looks a bit odd mind.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamsofUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2021, 04:20:16 AM »
you know who does good horns?
all the bella sara artists
Just trying to make everyone happy.