collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Price check: Mimic  (Read 3116 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Price check: Mimic
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 10:59:59 AM »
It's a really good idea.  I don't know if I would send them Mimic unless they could promise to make her.  But, I really, really hope they do.

Yeah, my first goal is to write them a letter and see if they even plan to make more Twinkle Eye ponies and to point out how popular Mimic is.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline DazzleBright

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Grew up with g3!
    • View Profile
    • My pony tumblr
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that pretty much everybody who likes g1 ponies is going to want a Mimic! I bet a lot of people will also want 2… one to have MIB, and one loose. If LadyMoondancer’s petition comes to fruition and they see how many people want them to make retro Mimic, I bet they’d listen. They could make so much money! Maybe people could pre-order them so that they can guarantee it’s worth it before they start production? But BF doesn’t seem to want to deal with shipping individual ponies to people, just selling bulk cases to stores. Maybe they don’t have the capabilities for that? I don’t understand why they don’t just sell the ponies on their website. That would solve a lot of availability problems. Yeah, you can get them on Amazon or eBay but the prices are so jacked up… anyways this turned into a ramble. Go Lady!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 02:28:47 PM »
I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that pretty much everybody who likes g1 ponies is going to want a Mimic! I bet a lot of people will also want 2… one to have MIB, and one loose. If LadyMoondancer’s petition comes to fruition and they see how many people want them to make retro Mimic, I bet they’d listen. They could make so much money! Maybe people could pre-order them so that they can guarantee it’s worth it before they start production? But BF doesn’t seem to want to deal with shipping individual ponies to people, just selling bulk cases to stores. Maybe they don’t have the capabilities for that? I don’t understand why they don’t just sell the ponies on their website. That would solve a lot of availability problems. Yeah, you can get them on Amazon or eBay but the prices are so jacked up… anyways this turned into a ramble. Go Lady!!

Well...there's a big fat difference for BF paying $5-$20  for a pony to remake and paying $200-$300.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »
Yeah, that's the problem - they specifically need Mimic herself, right? Cause of her eyes? She's the only TE in that pose, right? I seem to remember a previous thread where we came to that conclusion.. that they'd need Mimic so they could see how to attach her eyes.. might be misremembering.

I think this is a great idea LadyM! :) I agree w/ waiting for a reply from BF before sending them anything, I'd hate for a Mimic to go to "waste" ;) But if you start a petition, let me know, I'd definitely sign it. I think a repro Mimic would be wonderful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »

Yeah, in the US there aren't a lot of ponies in that mold.  Mimic, Milky Way, Princess Sparkle are the ones I can think of.  But if they get a pony they can reverse engineer the mold.

And don't forget Bangles! But yeah, there are only four ponies in that pose which isn't a lot!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 02:55:20 AM »
@LadyMoondancer, I'm not personally a fan of the Mimic pose however I do love a campaign and will sign anything that might help other collectors and of course Basic Fun... I would have thought that if they do make Mimics they would sell a fair few?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »
Hmmm...this is definitely an interesting proposition for Basic Fun! I agree with others that have said that you'd want to get confirmation from them that the pony would get made.

Another thing to consider is that you would want to make sure the specimen in question was a good color; I don't know how much Mimic tends to vary in color with age...I doubt anyone has enough of them to compare! But I know she always looks different in photos, ranging from whitish green to yellow to neon green, and it's likely just differences in photography and lighting. But I'm thinking of Heartthrob, of whom they must have unknowingly purchased a discolored specimen to use as their prototype, because her BF color was definitely not the nice lavender-pink of her original look. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but figured it didn't hurt to mention it! I'll follow your progress and be supportive of your efforts!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
I was wondering about BF Heart Throb but that would explain it! I'm lucky to have a nice original.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »
i'll sign a petition for a Basic Fun Mimic :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
I'm not sure if online petitions really do anything, personally, I have never heard of one doing anything no matter how much it gets spread around. But if only one in history can actually work I would love to see a repro Mimic. I do believe that HQG1C has her pose as either a blank pony, or at least one character. Maybe both. I think all the would have to do in that case is cut out the eye part before using it to make their mold for her.

Actually, if they would make her, I would expect for her price to actually sky rocket...the demand to have the ORIGINAL, "real deal" would definitely be strong imho.

...Speaking of, I'm still sore that they didn't choose Galaxy to be in the set of confirmed TE repros. No offense to Sky Rocket but I'll never stop believing that she deserves to be in that place!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
A repro Mimic? I'd get 2! Hopefully this petition would work out.
:happy:

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »
yeah it would be interesting to see what happens to the price of Mimic if she gets a Basic Fun release. it seems like the prices of the others that were re-released have stayed a little high IMO. though i haven't checked for a few months and prices were higher with the pandemic. i find the prices of collectibles to be interesting since their "intrinsic" value isn't really high. though i have an ongoing argument with my partner about the real value of investing in gold or silver. i'm not a fan.

i definitely have moments where i wonder if i'm silly for spending so much on ponies over the years. i don't collect as an investment but i do like knowing that i can sell if i need money. and i did sell off some of my collection when i needed money. idk money is weird and silly sometimes too.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »
If its not on FB or Twitter or something,  I'll sign it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the support guys! <3  I went bit the bullet and bought a Mimic off eBay because I didn't want messiness if I ran a GoFundMe and then Basic Fun didn't end up making Mimic or whatever . . . She is currently drying off after getting her hair washed.

I also sent Basic Fun a letter yesterday saying, basically, "I'm excited about your upcoming Twinkle Eye ponies!  I saw the stock photos and they look great!  Are you planning on making MORE Twinkle Eye ponies after this set?"

I've found if you ask multiple questions of a company, they're likely to miss some of the info you were asking for.  Hopefully they'll write back, and then I'll have a starting point to work from.

Everyone, pleeease buy the current TE set if you can . . . Spending $$$ is the best way to show that this is a worthwhile venture for Basic Fun.  I know it's annoying that they aren't sold in more stores, but that is due to the stores not wanting to stock them, not Basic Fun's fault.  (Maybe we should start a campaign aimed at Target / other major retailers telling them to carry the Basic Fun ponies!)

I'm not sure if online petitions really do anything, personally,

I'm going to try to get a letter writing campaign going rather than an online petition because, yeah, online petitions are not taken seriously.  There's no way to verify that an online petition has been signed by real people rather than bots.  But with real letters you can look at the postmarks and see that they're coming from different areas.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2021, 08:13:59 PM »
Congrats on your new pony :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal