collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bleach or lighten dirty pony hair?  (Read 561 times)

Offline kid80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
Bleach or lighten dirty pony hair?
« on: October 25, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
I've just deflocked SS Buttons, but her fresh new look is conflicting with her janky, discolored hair. At the roots of both mane and tail is the nice, original, cerulean blue, but the hair begins to darken and desaturate towards the ends, which end up a dark slate color.

Not sure what caused this as I'm not the original owner, but I'd like to lighten the hair so that it will take dye. So far I've tried sunfading and soaking in hydrogen peroxide, but no luck yet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to lighten or bleach the hair--toothpaste, baking soda, Oxiclean, etc?--or is it just not possible?

Crossing my fingers that I can avoid a complete rehair... :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:23:55 AM by kid80 »

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Bleach or lighten dirty pony hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 11:11:12 PM »
I would bet you someone used bleach, oxyclean or peroxide to get that effect in the first place. The hair is made of nylon and the dye in it is incorporated into a very stable polymer chain that is resistant to most chemicals. So in short, you can't bleach pony hair without damaging it.

To look into the products you mention a bit more: toothpaste is a mild alkaline abrasive, I often use it to get rust out of tails where the washer has gone rusty inside. This will remove surface dirt but not usually harm the nylon as long as you soap it all out and condition the hair afterwards. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, so again an alkali but it has a more active chemical action. Oxyclean is similar but another level up and more active. Oxygen is released removing dirt. However it can also start to break down the pastic polymers leading to loss or changes to dye but also damage to the structure of the plastic. I tend to use bicarb for scrubbing stubborn dirt like pindot but I don't go as far as oxyclean because I think it makes future yellowing and plastic damage worse. 

Personally I would find a re-hair easier than dyeing if you're looking for a perfect result. Any mistakes with blue dye will be really obvious on a light pink pony. You already de-flocked the pony therefore it's been customised, so there's no need to do a full woven restoration on the hair. You could just add loops with a re-rooting tool and secure with PVa glue.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 05:47:16 AM »
agree with AG
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kid80

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 06:32:40 AM »

...there's no need to do a full woven restoration on the hair. You could just add loops with a re-rooting tool and secure with PVa glue.

Thank you for the analysis and advice, Artemisia's Garden! And thanks for also weighing in, lovesbabysquirmy :) I have to buy some needles to rehair Seaflower so I'll add some hair for Buttons to that order!

The method I'm planning on is loops and glue, but, out of curiosity, what is a full woven restoration?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:44:04 AM by kid80 »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
Fully woven is similar to the factory hair-if you look up "Lock and loop method" you will find something similar. It's a way to secure the hair without glue. There is also the knot method for rehairing without glue-both methods take longer time than just the rehair tool/needle push method that is more popular today.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline kid80

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 08:33:59 AM »
Cool! Thanks, tailrustedtealeaf!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 02:50:44 AM »
You're welcome, would be great to see some pics maybe? Good luck with Seaflower too, she's also such a lovely pony!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal