collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Does this Article That I provide you... Upset You as a My Little Pony Collector? Read before Polling

Yess Definitely!!
6 (21.4%)
No I'm ok
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Question for the Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the Collectors/ Read First before Polling!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
I thought that the MLP Community would have been outraged.... cause people have said this on one of the comments of the article....

"There was absolutely nothing woke about the movie.  Wokescolds are seeing a lot of stuff that isn't even in there.  It's probably actually the least woke piece of content Hasbro has released in the past decade."

but i see all your point...

:hug:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »
I watched the film thought it was meh as it was basically get the elements of harmony together again (but crystals) really but I thought that it wasn't overly woke obvious  but I did wonder why if the unis pegs and earths weren't friends shouldn't the wendigos be turning every thing cold and icy ? and FOX always seem to talk
buzz-cocks on their news any way  :really:

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 02:51:09 PM »
Hi Everyone...
I just happen to see it on the net. It just seems that the news has nothing else pressing to talk about and they want to stomp on mlp's...

Like what trailrustedtealeaf said
The Fox News article sounds like the writer didn't even watch the movie. It's just a little compilation of Fox News being Fox News and a few interview quotes from the voice actors. Everyone took the title of the article and ran with it, despite it not actually having any substance.

I had no Idea Fox news had a bad rep already but in other parts of the world... :what:

I thought that the MLP Community would have been outraged.... cause people have said this on one of the comments of the article....

"There was absolutely nothing woke about the movie.  Wokescolds are seeing a lot of stuff that isn't even in there.  It's probably actually the least woke piece of content Hasbro has released in the past decade."

but i see all your point...

:hug:
:hug: Back Thanks I needed that!!! :happy:

I'm not trying to get on the bad side of the mlparena I was trying to show you what was happening... I guess it came off wrong too... Sorry bout that
 :hug: to all my MLP friends!!! :redface:

By the way I Love the Movie and G5 Collection I started.  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 03:12:00 PM »
Honestly, I find it amusing that Fox waited for this particular generation to discuss MLP's "wokeness".  The last generation...the whole series was a giant woke-brigade, to the point where it became insufferable.  This movie, I thought, was really good in how it tackled issues like friendship, unity, and activism.  It wasn't punching you in the face with "friendship!  friendship!  friendship!" like G4 was.  There was a *reason* for the need to discuss friendship and unity, not just "Oh you're an introvert who would rather read than make friends?  Here, let's take you on a 9-season-long journey to force you into being the princess of friendship.
 And forget about My Little *Pony*, let's focus on all the other ugly little creatures we have here and forget the what the whole franchise is about"  A New Generation, though it does hold what some might consider political issues, tackles it in a way that's not insufferable like FiM was.  It's just funny how Fox kinda just ignored FiM (though it definitely went after the fanbase...) when FiM was soooooo much worse and unsubtle  in terms of political messages. 

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
What exactly is ""woke"" about the G5 movie...? That it promotes being accepting and kind towards everyone regardless of appearance, background etc? I know it's Fox News but my celestials! That's just basic human decency!! And probably all kid shows have themes around friendship and caring for others anyway.

It's a pattern I've noticed, for clueless adults to come after things that are meant for kids or that is popular among them, and purposefully interpret the content to be adult or political in some way. We've seen it with Minecraft, we've seen it with Fortnite, with Emojis for celestials' sake, with Pokémon and fidget spinners and video games at large and it just. never. ends.

What it boils down to, imo is fear mongering from helicopter parents who want to lock their children in their bedrooms with no access to the outside world at all. They see everything that they don't understand or happens to be popular as a threat, and their kids suffer the consequences of being taught to fear the world around them. It's a sad reality of the First World.

Something for us grown ups to remember is that anything we see that we think might be made with adult themes and ideas is that much of the time, it's our imagination that reads into these things. The kids don't see a movie that's trying to make allegories to real world systemic racism, they see societies of characters that come together for the good of their world and themselves. They see a fun story about a bunch of friends going on an adventure together, through the ups and downs but staying friends in the end. That's really what MLP as a whole is about.

In short, it's just not that deep. It's a show about talking horses. Sit down and enjoy it. And learn not to take everything so seriously while you're at it.

Post Merge: October 12, 2021, 03:37:55 PM

I also forgot to add that the term "woke" is a word snatched from AAVE that was originally meant to refer to being aware of antiblack racism in every day society in this day and age, but now is a buzzword that older people tend to use to refer to anything that they think might be progressive or challenging the norm. So what I mean by that is that asking if MLP is "woke" now is like asking if the Care Bears are working to combat institutional oppression in their communities. * eye roll *
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:37:55 PM by Strawberry Swirl »
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »
"I think we don't see things as 'political' until they a) fall formally into the political domain (laws being passed) or b) until we see something we disagree with," Ross told Newsweek via email.
That's a quote from the Newsweek article and I have to wonder what it is about the movie Fox News disagrees with...
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »

I also forgot to add that the term "woke" is a word snatched from AAVE that was originally meant to refer to being aware of antiblack racism in every day society in this day and age, but now is a buzzword that older people tend to use to refer to anything that they think might be progressive or challenging the norm. So what I mean by that is that asking if MLP is "woke" now is like asking if the Care Bears are working to combat institutional oppression in their communities. * eye roll *

I want to let you know I was not asking mlparena if they were "woke" I dont know how that came about... I'm letting the community know what the news article said about the MLP's in general and I want to know if that makes the community mad along with me or am I wrong for being mad for it being called "woke"...

I agree though there is nothing woke about the movie and that makes me mad at the news article even more....

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »

I want to let you know I was not asking mlparena if they were "woke" I dont know how that came about... I'm letting the community know what the news article said about the MLP's in general and I want to know if that makes the community mad along with me or am I wrong for being mad for it being called "woke"...

I agree though there is nothing woke about the movie and that makes me mad at the news article even more....

"woke" is just a loaded term these days. i think that's the point of outlets like fox news highjacking it. to get people worked up when they see it.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »
"I think we don't see things as 'political' until they a) fall formally into the political domain (laws being passed) or b) until we see something we disagree with," Ross told Newsweek via email.
That's a quote from the Newsweek article and I have to wonder what it is about the movie Fox News disagrees with...

This is the fox news Article...
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/my-little-pony-gone-woke-netflix-progressive-creatures

I was wondering when someone would catch on that I posted Newsweek article... and not fox...

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 05:00:38 PM »
I want to let you know I was not asking mlparena if they were "woke" I dont know how that came about...

It didn't, I think you're misunderstanding the responses a little... But it's still worth speaking about because the article used the term in the first place. Actually I didn't expect many people here would even know the word, I always thought the Arena was more separated from the Internet at large lol, maybe thats a me thing.

Offline Zargata

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • KABOOM!
    • View Profile
    • http://Ogrebattle.weebly.com
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 05:47:06 PM »
Haven't seen the movie, nor will I anytime soon.

Just sounds like clickbait to get people to interact with the article. To drive discussion and views to their site.

Personally I would love to see more children media deal with complex issues in meaningful way, but I doubt that happened here in the new movie. Honestly is sounds like a pretty standard flick.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »
I'm not sure whether to be amused or concerned at the idea that being a member of the Arena somehow means being insulated from the entire rest of society. I mean, I hate social media with a vengeance, but it's not like you can avoid terms, terminologies and angles. Not if you're paying attention.

I'm not really a fan of the term woke; I don't think it's helpful in its original context or its wider one. Racism is a big issue that affects a lot of people in different ways. It can't be generalised under one word, not least because sometimes it's a lot more complicated than it appears on the surface.

G4 is really not as liberal as maybe it wanted to be in the first. Aside the class system with the princess perks, there's also the idea that ponies are superior to everyone else. I get the fact the line is MLP, emphasis on the P, but there's an unfortunate message that ponies > everyone else that runs through some of the storylines. I haven't seen the episodes with the school but I have to wonder why a pony has to educate the other species in friendship. Not least because she really doesn't understand it herself all that well - as the movie demonstrates.

I guess if you wanted to play advocate, if G4 was a liberal series, Twilight would have been elected the  princess of friendship by the whole of Equestria, rather than appointed by Celestia. You wouldn't have symbols singling out individual destinies, either...nor the need for everyone to universally adhere to the concept of friendship over everything else. Equestria's single-note message basically makes for a not healthy social structure. It's not deliberate, but it's the end result of pushing friendship at every turn - even on characters who may not want it or who are bullies/abusive. No other generation of MLP has done that in such a singleminded way...it's why it's a bit disconcerting.

On the subject of spooked parents, this also goes back a long way. Stormer's fishnets and the Misfits being generally 'violent' in the Jem cartoon is meant to have led to them taking more of a backseat to the Stingers. Who were psychological villains who promoted all kinds of other things that kids might not have understood so obviously as wrong. And of course, the most violent character was probably Rio, who even assaulted a pot plant on one occasion, but you know, he's meant to be a 'good guy'. :P

@Starflashbaby - I don't think you came across in a bad way at all. You have every right to be annoyed by the article, we're all just discussing the issues it throws up (not necessarily aiming that discussion at your comments specifically).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 06:15:10 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »
it's just annoying today how every piece of pop culture has to be for conservatives or liberals. it's annoying on both sides and i don't think it's something that resonates with most people. except idiots like me who enjoy being miserable and keep up with politics.

the article is annoying and i've always looked at MLP as an escape from the politics. i'm not annoyed at your comments though. :)

i'm just commenting on the larger issues that children's entertainment has been weaponized by bad faith political actors for decades. this isn't specific to MLP. i think it's just easy to get people riled up when children are pulled into the conversation. though i doubt the people at fox news who wrote the article really care about children. they just make a lot of money off clickbait and bad faith arguing. we have serious issues in the US but it's easier and more profitable to make up problems that don't exist than to try to solve real problems.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »
I want to let you know I was not asking mlparena if they were "woke" I dont know how that came about...

It didn't, I think you're misunderstanding the responses a little... But it's still worth speaking about because the article used the term in the first place. Actually I didn't expect many people here would even know the word, I always thought the Arena was more separated from the Internet at large lol, maybe thats a me thing.

Ohhh I get it!  :ohyeah:
it's just annoying today how every piece of pop culture has to be for conservatives or liberals. it's annoying on both sides and i don't think it's something that resonates with most people. except idiots like me who enjoy being miserable and keep up with politics.

the article is annoying and i've always looked at MLP as an escape from the politics. i'm not annoyed at your comments though. :)

i'm just commenting on the larger issues that children's entertainment has been weaponized by bad faith political actors for decades. this isn't specific to MLP. i think it's just easy to get people riled up when children are pulled into the conversation. though i doubt the people at fox news who wrote the article really care about children. they just make a lot of money off clickbait and bad faith arguing. we have serious issues in the US but it's easier and more profitable to make up problems that don't exist than to try to solve real problems.

Yess!!! Beth I totally agree!!!
@Starflashbaby - I don't think you came across in a bad way at all. You have every right to be annoyed by the article, we're all just discussing the issues it throws up (not necessarily aiming that discussion at your comments specifically).

Thank you Taffeta  :hug:

P.S I edited the wording to the poll I think it looks better now...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:14:26 PM by Starflashbaby »

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 10:48:32 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding the words for what I mean. I don't know if I agree that the Internet at large coincides with society, in any one place. There's certain customs, language, social rules, etc that don't really translate well in "real life." You probably can't expect for your parents to understand if you react to their Facebook post with an image or gif. We would know the image in question conveys a particular emotion or state of mind, but to them you may as well have responded with a picture of a pickle jar. And I really hope you wouldn't respond to a post about the loss of a loved one with "Can we get an F in the chat" (Can you imagine? GOD)

Anyway, yeah, I think the article can just be boiled down to somebody who's incredibly bored and actually has nothing notable to say about anything meaningful. It's fishing for attention and trying to cause mass hysteria over nothing, plain and simple.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal