collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What is your favorite type of chocolate?

Milk
16 (50%)
Dark
12 (37.5%)
White
2 (6.3%)
Other
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Chocolate!  (Read 2589 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Chocolate!
« on: September 17, 2021, 09:55:59 AM »
Milk chocolate is usually too sweet for me. I like dark, but not too dark. I have tried some of the 60% cocoa and up chocolates and they're too bitter. There was one exception, it was chocolate covered pomegranate seeds and was something like 70% - that was really good!

I also like white chocolate, but in small doses otherwise it's also too sweet. I like chocolate and peanut butter together. Dark chocolate expresso beans are delicious and one of my favs :heart:

Not a fan of nuts in my chocolate. I'll eat it, if I have no other choice and have a craving, but I like plain chocolate better.

If I'm in the candy aisle and can pick whatever I wanted, it would be the dark chocolate truffles from Lindt. So good! They are expensive though so I don't have them very often. Next on my list is Hershey Special Dark and then dark M&Ms. Cadbury used to be a favorite but it was sold or something in the US and it's made by someone else now. Not as good as it used to be! Palmer chocolate is the worst. Too waxy.

I'm always curious about chocolate from other countries because Americans like so much sweet and I think it's probably over processed like a lot of other American foods. Where is the best chocolate from? Belgium?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
Noo not another food thread, I'm supposed to be on a diet! XD

When my siblings and I were younger, our dad would sometimes go to England to visit his side of the family. We couldn't go with him most of the time because we couldn't afford a full family vacation, but he made up for it by bringing home a very special souvenir - Cadbury chocolate! Plain Dairy Milk bars were always my favorite, but my siblings liked Creme Eggs the most.

My dad doesn't travel much now in his old age, so I hadn't tasted any Cadbury in a very long time. That is, until my sister told me she had this whole pack of mini chocolates she was just going to throw away - apparently, she doesn't like Dairy Milk at all!

I only wish I'd savored it a bit longer, because those delectable, nostalgic bites did not last long with me XD for the record, I think Norwegian Freia chocolate is probably "objectively" a bit better. But the nostalgia, man... Say, when is the Arena ever going to have a chocolate swap? :P

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »
Noo not another food thread, I'm supposed to be on a diet! XD

When my siblings and I were younger, our dad would sometimes go to England to visit his side of the family. We couldn't go with him most of the time because we couldn't afford a full family vacation, but he made up for it by bringing home a very special souvenir - Cadbury chocolate! Plain Dairy Milk bars were always my favorite, but my siblings liked Creme Eggs the most.

My dad doesn't travel much now in his old age, so I hadn't tasted any Cadbury in a very long time. That is, until my sister told me she had this whole pack of mini chocolates she was just going to throw away - apparently, she doesn't like Dairy Milk at all!

I only wish I'd savored it a bit longer, because those delectable, nostalgic bites did not last long with me XD for the record, I think Norwegian Freia chocolate is probably "objectively" a bit better. But the nostalgia, man... Say, when is the Arena ever going to have a chocolate swap? :P

you can join the thread: Let's help motivate each other to reach our goals  :happy:

As for Chocolate I voted Milk Chocolate...  :blush:

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »
In my old age *ahem* I've kinda gone off chocolate!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 08:46:46 AM »
Milk is deffo my fave: the right balance of creamy sweet to rich. I also like dark chocolate for its rich taste. White can do one though; it's just too sickly for me.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 04:43:41 PM »
I like milk and dark is alright. Can't stand white though.
My favorite is matcha green tea chocolate though.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 10:07:04 PM »
I like all good cholcolate types, but the favourite is Lindt Excellence Sea Salt Caramel. Lindt is a Swiss company i think, but the chocolate is made in France.

https://www.lindt-home-of-chocolate.com/en/
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
Dark chocolate!  I think around 70% is what I like the best.  :yummy:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 06:15:33 AM »
I really like white chocolate best.

My parents are real chocoholics and both eat chocolate every day, in fact they have a cupboard that’s designated to chocolate.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »
I like milk chocolate best if it has "things" in it like nuts or pretzels or what have you.  Not a fan of plain chocolate bars/pieces, or of most dark chocolate.  I really like good quality white chocolate but I really dislike poor quality white chocolate.  Not sure what is going on there, maybe vanillin vs real vanilla. Mmmm, I haven't had chocolate in awhile, now I want some!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
I think I have to share my Microwave Fudge recipe.  Super easy and delicious.  Even people I know who "hate" chocolate have asked me for my recipe.

1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa (I use Hershey's brand)
1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
You can add nuts, but I never do.

Mix powdered sugar and cocoa together in a large bowl.  Add margarine and milk then cook in the microwave for two minutes (I think this is mainly to melt the butter so if you haven't got a microwave you could probably melt it in a saucepan and just add it to the powder mixture).  Add the vanilla and blend well.  Put fudge in a glass or plastic pan or distribute into mini paper cupcake cups (I place the cups inside of the cupcake pan until the fudge is set up so that they keep their shape better).  Place in refrigerator until set up (I usually eat it with a spoon anyway).  Enjoy. 

If you use fat free milk do not use fat free margarine or it will not set up well (you can use one or the other but using both causes issues).  Also if you put it into an aluminum pan it will not set up well.  You can still eat it with a spoon, though.  Using butter instead of margarine is fine but it might set up with a harder consistency so maybe counteract with lower fat milk.  I've made this in Montana, Colorado, Utah and Florida and haven't noticed that altitude affects it too much.

Another variation is to melt mint chips (I usually use Andes mint pieces) and mix it in when you add the vanilla so you get Mint Fudge or peanut butter chips for Peanut Butter fudge. This changes the consistency a bit but not much and tastes delicious.

Offline Luxrayx

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »
Ooh Pokeyonekenobie, that sounds so easy and yummy, I've GOT to try it :enthralled:
Although... You know people who hate chocolate? Who are these people and what's wrong with them?! :lol:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
I really like good quality white chocolate but I really dislike poor quality white chocolate.  Not sure what is going on there, maybe vanillin vs real vanilla.

It could be the amount of wax put into the chocolate.  Most people don't know this but American chocolate has wax (edible) put into it to give it a longer shelf-life and shinier finish.  That's why once you don't really notice it until you have European chocolate and then the taste/texture is kind of obvious.  Some brands have more than others and it's definitely more noticeable in some brands than others but it's there.

Ooh Pokeyonekenobie, that sounds so easy and yummy, I've GOT to try it :enthralled:
Although... You know people who hate chocolate? Who are these people and what's wrong with them?! :lol:

I don't know what's wrong with people who hate chocolate. Unless they're allergic to it they just haven't tried the right kind yet!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
Dark chocolate, but I love milk too. I hate white chocolate. Not that it technically is chocolate, not really. Not according to the chocolate museum I once went to in Brussels anyway! It's too sweet for me.

We have pretty decent chocolate here in the UK. Europe is probably better; we get some in import. Belgian and Swiss chocolate maybe up there?

I don't really like US Chocolate. Not that I've eaten a lot of it, but we had a friend who sent us some stuff once, and we just weren't really fans. There are a lot of US sweetshops over here, who import US candy, but I tend to steer clear of normal candy and haven't really gone through the other US range to see if there are exceptions. I do like Oreos, but that's about it.

I was born in the UK city where the Cadbury's factory is, and my train to University used to go to Bourneville. I was kind of shocked to learn the US doesn't get proper Cadbury chocolate but something under licence. Although I am not sure who owns the factory now.

When COVID is over, and when I'm sure of what the rules are about mailing candy now we're out of the EU and all that junk, I think it would be fun to have a chocolate swap :)

Edit: Apparently it's ok to ship sealed packages of chocolate all over the place! But better done when it's not too hot...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:35:12 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »
I was born in the UK city where the Cadbury's factory is, and my train to University used to go to Bourneville. I was kind of shocked to learn the US doesn't get proper Cadbury chocolate but something under licence. Although I am not sure who owns the factory now.

We used to have real Cadbury's here, but it was bought by... I want to say Nestle, or something happened where it started being produced by someone else but still uses the Cadbury name. It's not that great. Like Pokeyonekenobie said, they add wax to most chocolate and it can really make a difference in quality.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal