collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 Moving Head?  (Read 801 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
G2 Moving Head?
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:43:12 PM »
Hey! I have a g2 Clever Clover (original release) I bought a while ago. I only have 2 gen 2 ponies for reference. The other day I was explaining to a friend about how some ponies turn their heads while others don't, and I noticed my Clever Clover turns his head and my Prince Firefly doesn't. I thought this was odd as (to my knowledge) ponies didn't intentionally have turning heads until some point during g3 (besides a couple of ponies who specifically made to have turning heads like the g1 baby ponies with the turning head mechanisms etc.).

The only time I know of these earlier ponies having turning heads is if someone had removed their head. Example: I have a baby ember whose head turns because the previous owner took her head off to clean her. The weird thing about that is the g1 ponies I have who have turning heads because they were cleaned have a specific way their heads turn. It's hard to describe, but the g1 heads move a lot more looser and feel like they'll more easily pop off. My Clever Clover's head feels super sturdy and is like a g3 whose head is meant to turn. And idk if that's because of the harder plastic or if he genuinely was meant to have a turning head.

So I guess my question is, do some g2 ponies have the head turning mechanism? Or did someone at some point take my Clever Clover's head off?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: G2 Moving Head?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »
I find it odd that your Prince Firefly's head doesn't turn. Every single one of my G2 ponies has a turning head, it seems very intentional.

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
I find it odd that your Prince Firefly's head doesn't turn. Every single one of my G2 ponies has a turning head, it seems very intentional.

Seconding this! Most G2s' heads turn, save for ones with magic motion gimmicks that would prevent it (like Moon Shadow for example). Prince Firefly's as far as I'm aware, should be able to turn! All my G2s' heads turn save for Moon Shadow and the playset release of Light Heart (whose heads move up and down instead).

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:30:32 PM »

Seconding this! Most G2s' heads turn, save for ones with magic motion gimmicks that would prevent it (like Moon Shadow for example). Prince Firefly's as far as I'm aware, should be able to turn! All my G2s' heads turn save for Moon Shadow and the playset release of Light Heart (whose heads move up and down instead).

Oh wow! I did not know that! My knowledge of g2 is quite limited despite it being my favorite design-wise.  ^^;

To be fair, I don't think I really honked on my Prince Firefly's head too hard, so maybe it's just stubborn? I'll have to check but man, I really did not know that! I assumed turning heads weren't a normal thing until some-part through g3. I guess that explains why my Clever Clover's head turns so well and sturdily. I wasn't really trying to move my Prince Firefly's head as I was under the assumption it wouldn't move so yeah, maybe it will if I try harder...

If not, I have no idea why it wouldn't turn...Maybe somebody would've glued it back on but why?

I'll update you guys in a couple hours/tomorrow to see what happens  :blink:

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 10:40:23 PM »
I can’t get at my Prince Firefly to check, but most G2s have turning heads.  The exceptions usually have a reason(internal lights/sound/mechanical gimmicks for the most part).  If you got yours second hand, it is possible that someone glued the head down either because they just wanted it to be like that(people do weird stuff to ponies), or someone pulled the head off for cleaning or restoration, and broke it so it doesn’t stay on normally.

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 10:53:56 PM »
I can’t get at my Prince Firefly to check, but most G2s have turning heads.  The exceptions usually have a reason(internal lights/sound/mechanical gimmicks for the most part).  If you got yours second hand, it is possible that someone glued the head down either because they just wanted it to be like that(people do weird stuff to ponies), or someone pulled the head off for cleaning or restoration, and broke it so it doesn’t stay on normally.

Prince Firefly's Head: A Dramatic Retelling of About Five Minutes Ago

So, I decided to check my Prince Firefly right now because the anticipation was killing me. I was either going to wait until a couple of hours from now when I finished my essay, or tomorrow if I was just too tired. The mystery was nipping at me though...Why wouldn't his head turn??

I got up from where I was sitting and walked over to my pony display case, turning the lamp on to shed some light. I stared at him through the glass...Why won't your head turn!?

Just as I picked him up, a huge crack of thunder sounded off from outside...I knew this either meant I was going to find out something weird about one of my most beloved ponies, or I was going to find out I just wasn't a very observant person.

I stared at him a little longer...Did I really want to do this? What if his head didn't move? What would that mean? I possibly had a pony with a glued head? Had he been damaged in the past? My perception of my perfect Prince Firefly would be ruined forever. It was at this point I got chills and seriously considered just putting him back. But the question I had been asking ever since I read the replies about like an hour or so ago rung in my head once more...Why won't your head turn!?!?

I took a deep breath and braced myself...Given my past experiment trying to move his head, I knew I'd have to use brute force however I couldn't be strong enough that I'd risk breaking him. I placed my fingers on his head, pointer finger and thumb to opposite ears. Took one more breath, closed my eyes AND

With a quick breathe out I looked at what happened to my pony, shock displayed across my face. His head moved??? And I barely had to put any force behind it?? What was this horse-baloney! Just the other day I tried with probably more force and his head didn't budge at all...But there he was, face forward to me as if he was saying "Yeah you dummy, maybe you should actually pay more attention to the toys you have...or at least try more than once to move my head!"

Relief washed over my body as I realized my Prince Firefly was normal, nothing wrong at all. I carefully set him back on his specific shelf and closed the doors to the case. Another dumb mystery was solved...

TL;DR Literally nothing is wrong with my Prince Firefly, I just must've not have tried hard enough to move his head. Sorry for wasting your guy's time, hopefully my dramatic retelling made up for it though  :lookround: :blush:

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »
Hah, no worries, it's always alright to ask a question! I'm glad your Firefly does move after all; I was a bit worried for a bit.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:51:12 AM »
That was a great story! :iconclap:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
Hah, no worries, it's always alright to ask a question! I'm glad your Firefly does move after all; I was a bit worried for a bit.

Me too! I was wondering why his head would've been glued in place or something. My biggest fear was if his neck peg somehow melted into his bodies plastic (I've seen this happen with G1 ponies although it isn't a big deal cuz they aren't supposed to move their heads anyway). Thankfully the mystery is solved! :D

Post Merge: September 15, 2021, 05:15:36 PM

That was a great story! :iconclap:

Thank you!  :biggrin:

Mimic drawn by me~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
we were with you the entire time!!! LOL  great post
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »
we were with you the entire time!!! LOL  great post

Thanks! If nothing else I'm glad my post was at least entertaining  :lol: :satisfied:

Mimic drawn by me~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal