collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What should I do with all of these ponies?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
What should I do with all of these ponies?
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:09:48 PM »
I've got a bunch of ponies in a box that has been.. Moved from house to house. They're all pretty baity with rough hair. I know I could use fabric softener and magic eraser to clean them up but I'm wondering if that's even worth doing or should I just sell them cheap and then buy ones in better condition? I know all of you have spa days for your ponies and I'd LOVE to see your before and after results! I'll pull 'em all out and take a photo later on but let me see your sad to happy cases so I can get inspiration XD

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with all of these ponies?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
All up to you on what you want to do! Either option is a good one, if you're up for the tasks of cleaning/selling! What are some of the ponies you have?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 10:09:10 PM »
Either one might work, personally I’d go with fixing them up myself. But that might be because I have difficulty selling/getting rid of things :blush:
You do what is best for you!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:42:34 AM »
Like what MewTwofan1 said, I would restore them myself as I hate to see a pony go. Whichever option seems easiest for you to go forward with!  :good:

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:34 AM »
In my objective opinion, you should leave them under the park bench down by the rail station at 4:29 PM. Come alone, and don't contact authorities. Everything's gonna be juuuuust fine.

lmao but really putting up a sales page under For Auction with images might be a good idea, at least to see how other people value them
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:54:39 AM »
In my objective opinion, you should leave them under the park bench down by the rail station at 4:29 PM. Come alone, and don't contact authorities. Everything's gonna be juuuuust fine.

lmao but really putting up a sales page under For Auction with images might be a good idea, at least to see how other people value them

:lmao:

Do whatever you want. If you're wanting to get rid of them,  there's always pony peeps looking for a good clean up project.  Would suggest keeping any that have sentimental value.  If you wanna clean up, then start a little at a time and see if it changes your mind.

MO Starhopper
Before: I was so thrilled to find her, I was literally blinded to the fact that she had a rust explosion,  and a chopped mane.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Rusty-Pony-609811009

After: I had help from the wonderful Sunshine on etsy, who rehaired her for me. I cleaned up all that ickyness.

https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Restored-Starhopper-687035516
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:04:14 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
Depends on who they are! If they are G1, prices have increased lately and it may be difficult to regain those ponies for prices you had them at before.

Other gens it's up to you! I enjoy cleaning them up but I also enjoy cheap ponies that come in terrible condition to clean up.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »
How exciting! As long as you don't trash 'em we should all be on the same page. If you want to try your hand at restoring them, best of luck, but it's also totally okay to pass them on to someone else up for the job.

Wishlist

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:45:01 PM »
Personally, I’d give them a basic scrub and a hair conditioning before deciding what to do with them. There are a few reasons for this.

First, you can’t know what the real condition is until you clean them.  It doesn’t have to be too involved, but a good scrub and a bit of hair care can go a long way. I have had more than one pony clean up a lot better than expected. 

My personal best was a Sugarberry that was in my “bait” box. She looked wretched - disgustingly dirty, matted hair, sticky,  just awful. I didn’t want to touch her, let alone work on her.   I fully expected her to end up discolored with bad hair even after cleaning. I just washed her and did a basic hair treatment(wash, comb, condition, air dry).  She cleaned up into a basically mint, pure white with beautiful, silky factory curl.  She’s now my collection Sugarberry, and she looks almost straight off the card. I was shocked!  I didn’t do any special kind of restoration - just a good wash and a hair treatment. I don’t have before/after pics. I wish I did. I was not expecting her to turn out at all. She was in my “hopeless bait” pile, which are the worst condition ponies I have.

Second, you’ll probably get more for even flawed ponies if they’re clean.  You’ll be able to more accurately describe them, they’ll photograph better, and buyers don’t like getting nasty items in the mail.

Third, you can practice your cleaning methods on low value, low risk ponies.  Make any mistakes, try out new products, and develop your techniques on a bait Peachy - not that lucky thrift store Mimic find. I ended up doing a massive amount of ponies in a short time for a pony meet, and I got fast and good at it.  I tried out new combs and products to do it, and I learned a lot.

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 10:45:38 PM »
What gen are they? I might be interested in fixing up some G1s :)
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.

Offline chichiri_chan

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
As everyone else has said, I think a basic wash with a Magic Eraser and brushing out their hair can do wonders. I still have my childhood collection, which I've kept on display for over a decade. Although I've been good about dusting the ponies, I didn't know how to properly clean them until fairly recently. (Started learning when I joined the arena and trading post.)

I thought most of my childhood ponies were in "bait" condition, but cleaning them showed me otherwise. A few are still baits, but most look amazing! It's incredible what a Magic Eraser and doll hair conditioner can do.

If you plan on selling, I think you'll probably get more money out of clean G1s than dirty G1s. And if you're debating on whether or not to keep them, seeing what condition they're really in might help you decide.

(Please note, this is assuming they are G1s we're talking about.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal