collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tales of Lost Art  (Read 2297 times)

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Tales of Lost Art
« on: August 30, 2021, 06:34:32 AM »
I'm sure we've all lost art pieces before. Maybe you didn't save your digital work and the power went out. Perhaps something traditional was lost in the mail. Maybe in high school someone stole your ceramic dragon.

We've all got stories.

What is yours?

Mine. Well. In high school someone stole my ceramic dragon. It was the end of year project for a major part of our grade in art class. This was when art was required along with music, home ec and shop class (yes, I am old). We all spent months on our sculptures. I was very proud of mine. It was a three piece dragon that looked like it was "swimming" through the table. Each section was about 6 inches long. He was decorated with spines and teeth and had a spilt tail.

We had painted and glazed our work, and the teacher was going to take everything home to fire in her kiln. You may not know that ceramic paints can change colors when fired. So having used some of those paints, I wasn't exactly sure how mine would turn out.

We were to collect our sculpture the end of the last day.

I got an A+.

When I went to get my dragon, he was gone from the table. I asked the teacher where did my dragon go. Someone had stolen him! I never got to see the finished piece. I didn't have art class that day. I was so angry and shocked. Who would steal someone else's sculpture?

I had great friends that summer that tracked down the kid that had taken it. I decided back then not to confront him (but I think some of my friends did).

Over that summer I discovered Sculpey clay, remade my dragon and he turned out even better than the first. My mom still has him on a shelf. Then I started sculpting regularly and it continues to this day. So, I may have lost one sculpture, but I gained a skill and my love of art only grew from there. Maybe it wasn't a bad thing after all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Tales of Lost Art
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 07:49:37 AM »
That's so sweet of your friends to track him down. :)

I don't have any large stories. I had a Tumblr account I made shortly after I was 13 that I posted a lot of my first digital art onto, since I got a tablet that following December. I deleted the account in 2015 or 2016, I think. I wish I hadn't now! A lot of my other friends also deleted their first accounts and now there's no way to see the art since no one with an active blog had reblogged it, and I think that laptop is dead.

A little bit after that, I would simply move accounts instead of deleting entirely, and then I just stopped moving blogs. A lot easier to keep track of my stuff now.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:54:24 AM »
When I was in elementary school, my parents weren’t the best…

Long story short, I had a lot of my things thrown away. I had a massive blue binder full of these comics I would make for my friends! The comic was called ‘Whiskers and Wolf’ and it was about (you guessed it!) a cat and a dog as best friends. They would get into so much trouble together! Whiskers the Cat was the main troublemaker, and Wolf the Dog was more reserved. I was able to find an incomplete comic in an old composition notebook a few years ago, but that blue binder with all the comics is lost to time. I really wish I still had it because I remember how happy it made my friends when i would release a new comic after school on Fridays!

Those were the days

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline EllyFant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Honestly I am on this website because I was trying to find some "lost art" that I found. Earlier in the summer some friends I play DnD with were going to play a My Little Pony campaign and I when it came to making a character I remembered a popcorn themed pony I drew for a thread on here. I remembered really liking the design and so I tried I revisited this forum after not logging in for years to try to find the picture, and Butter Romp was reborn lol.

I really wish I still had the original drawing so I could scan it in and clean it up more, the same with everything else that was in that sketch book, but since then I've lived in 3 different states and 4 different houses/apartments so its long gone.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 03:57:53 PM »
Thankfully I haven't lost much. Most of my traditional art form junior high and onward are stored in bins at my parents, and I have a strict organizing system for my digital art on my PC, though I do need to get a backup system in place in case of computer troubles.

However, near my junior or senior year of highschool, I had a celebratory bonfire burning of a lot of my art form middle school and art of an abusive ex-friend that I burned. I wish I held on to some of that middle school art, as it contained a lot of my earliest novel concepts that I can't remember at this point to revist :(
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Shystar06

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
I lost a hand-drawn picture of an unnamed cat-like anime character for 15 years. Rediscovered it in a giant pile of old stuff.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 02:41:51 AM »
I lost one of my doodle sketchbooks back in 2003. My first ex and I went back to the steakhouse we'd been at but they couldn't find it. I also regret giving one of my Lion King sketchbooks to my second ex. I'll never get that back. I also am missing several pieces of art that I loved that were drawn for me back in 2002 because it was back when I was brand new to any sort of online art communities and it was before I was smart enough to save the art people drew me so when those artists deleted their galleries....that art went with it. I did ask one if she could send it to me but she'd deleted it from her files also.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
Lots of old drawings of mine from when I was little have of course never survived the years. And I've lost a lot of painstaking sprite edits to computers dying on me.

But the two lost pics that stick in my mind the most would have to be the first two pictures I ever put up on the internet, on the silly little personal website I created in the late '90s:
A picture of Thomas the Tank Engine pulling a truck with Tai from Digimon in his cab, and Skarloey puffling along beside a lake with a train. I think I forgot to snag them off Geocities when salvaging the rest of the site before the shutdown, and then I lost my original downloads of the site anyway. And they weren't cached when Archive.org archived the pages.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 02:33:04 AM »
About 10 years ago I had a computer crash.
Much of my old digital art, works in progress, finished pieces, PSD files was lost. Also high-quality scans of traditional art I had given away...

If anyone remember old Elfwood I had a account there and since my computer broke I at least had a lot small resized art saved on their servers. Naive as I was I though elfwood would be around forever so the last remains of my old art was deleted when the site closed down all of a sudden.
It might not have been good art but it´s still fun memories and a way to see development compared to new art.
Always remember to do backup of your stuff, people.  :shocked:

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
Alonia.
It was a gift to a friend, but he turned out to be an absolute POS. I deeply regret offering her. She was beautiful. I have no idea what happened to her now, I cut every contact with that guy.

Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 01:55:30 PM »
About 10 years ago I had a computer crash.
Much of my old digital art, works in progress, finished pieces, PSD files was lost. Also high-quality scans of traditional art I had given away...

If anyone remember old Elfwood I had a account there and since my computer broke I at least had a lot small resized art saved on their servers. Naive as I was I though elfwood would be around forever so the last remains of my old art was deleted when the site closed down all of a sudden.
It might not have been good art but it´s still fun memories and a way to see development compared to new art.
Always remember to do backup of your stuff, people.  :shocked:
I remember Elfwood... Such a shame it went belly-up
should be perma-moderated

Offline SweetNightmare

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 02:47:02 PM »
I remember when I was around 13 years old and I've just thrown away a lot of my art that I've made when I was 11-13 years old. Because I didn't like it anymore. My mum saw that i wanted to get rid of them and did tell me that I should keep those. I didn't listen and got rid of them anyway. And yeah I think I've started to regret that in a couple months after I've done that. Not that any of it was "good art" but they were memories, a lot of early drawings of my old OC's (that are still around to this day) just went into the recycling, never to be seen again. Since then I've been keeping all my drawings, sketchbooks, scans and digital art.
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal