collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Questions  (Read 907 times)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Nintendo Switch Questions
« on: August 28, 2021, 12:54:56 PM »
So i think my nintendo wii is finally dead. the replacement controllers i bought a few years ago both died a few days ago and i'm not going to replace them.

i don't play video games all that often but i really like older games from the 80's and 90's. Zelda and Mario mostly. i have a playstation but i really can't get into the newer games. so would the nintendo switch be a good option for playing older games? i prefer to play on the TV
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Nintendo Switch Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »
Depends! Define "older games"? It's not backwards-compatible like how the Wii can play Gamecube games, and the selection of old games on the platform has been a huge criticism. There's no Virtual Console like the Wii U, Wii, and 3DS had. However, if you want "old games", like NES/SNES, there's an online subscription service, $20 a year, that grants you access to a library of NES/SNES games, including most Mario and Zelda games.

For Mario, you have the Mario 3D All Stars Collection that was a limited-time release last year but you should be able to find it somewhere. It has Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Sunshine all on one cartridge. You also have the new Mario games, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Mario 3D World, and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (a port of the 2D platformer on Wii U. Yeah, the title isn't great haha). There's a new Mario Party (Mario Party Superstars) that comes out very soon that's a sort-of remake of the old N64 Mario Party games, and has online support!

I'm not too familiar with Zelda, but you do have Breath of the Wild, Skyward Sword, and the Link's Awakening remake. There's some spinoffs too like Cadence of Hyrule and Hyrule Warriors. Breath of the Wild 2 is highly anticipated and is scheduled for release some time next year. Of course, this is on top of the NES/SNES games that come with the Nintendo Online subscription.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 02:50:25 PM »
For specifically older games? I would persue other avenues. If you have the actual cartridges, we have some console (I can find out what at home)that plays both NES and SNES cartridges. Otherwise, it will be more cost effective to just replace your wiimotes. You'd have to repurchase your old games or pay for the Nintendo Online service to access some NES and SNES games (I don't remember which games are currently offered...).

You may have heard of joycon drift-this issue plagues nearly every Switch console. I have been lucky so far but I count it as an inevitability at this point, meaning it can be unreliable and bothersome to replace the Controllers.

I'm not sure the going price right now, but there are officially licensed plug and play versions of the NES and SNES that might suit your needs depending on the games you like.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 08:08:42 AM »
yeah i think i'm just going to replace my controllers. again.

i mostly play zelda link to the past, majora's mask, and ocarina of time. it looks like most of the nintendo 64 games aren't on the switch. so not the best solution for me. i also play the nintendo and snes mario games but less often. i really liked the virtual console on the wii and really only bought the wii because my old snes died.

I don't have any cartridges from my nintendo 64. i still have my gamecube games. all 2 of them along with the controllers. i don't play all that often and when i do it's only for 30 min - 1 hr. i don't have the attention span i had when i was younger. so probably not worth spending the money on the switch right now.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 07:42:44 PM »
I know you've decided to not get a Switch for now but I want to add my thoughts  also. 

I love my Switch. :D  That being said I had issues with mine.  One month after I got it my left Joy Con stopped working completely.  The Switch wouldn't recognize that it was attached/connected  rending the controller useless and also making it impossible to play any games since both controllers are needed.   I contacted Nintendo and because I didn't have another set of Joy Cons to confirm whether it was a controller issue or Switch issue I had to send my Switch and both Joy Cons back to Nintendo for them to find the problem.  If I'd had an extra pair I would have just had to send the controller that wasn't working in. 

It turned out that the left Joy Con was bad and Nintendo sent me a new one when they returned my Switch and right Joy Con.  I was pretty upset about the Joy Con not working and  having to send my Switch in to be checked out at the time but I've had very few issues with it since then and they did fix the problem quickly.  I recommend buying an extra set of Joy Cons just in case there is a problem with the originals.   

I usually play in handheld mode because the TV in the living room only has two HDMI ports which are both in use.  I could hook it up to the TV in my room but I don't have the space to keep my Switch in there all the time.   

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Shystar06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
The Switch has a very poor selection of older games, unfortunately. And you don't even get that without a paid subscription. Nintendo completely dropped the ball on this aspect along with quality control for their JoyCons, which we've had to have replaced twice.

Your best option if you don't want another Wii might be an emulator or two. They take a bit of work to set up but even a cheap computer can easily pretend to be a N64 or SNES nowadays.

As a bonus, you will never have to worry about having to re-buy old controllers or power supplies or other parts that will become scarce/expensive.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »
The switch is a emulation powerhouse if you have a first release unit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
Well there's the NSO, or Nintendo Service Online which let's you "rent"  8 and 16 bit games. But if you wanna own them,I'd suggest sticking with a 3DS because it still has a virtual console. Switch also has arcade archives which you can in fact purchase on the eshop. There are also  physical collections and eshop games on the Switch such as the SNK Collection,  Mega Man Legacy Collections, Castlevania Collection, Sega Collection and they recently put Zombies Ate My Neighbors  on the eshop.

But yeah, a 3DS would be your best bet, outside of emulator and roms.

Post Merge: September 10, 2021, 12:09:10 PM

Swtch is a mixed bag, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:09:10 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal