collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Eggs  (Read 1693 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Eggs
« on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:13 PM »
Yes, it's another food thread from me :lol:

Do you eat eggs? How do you like them prepared?

I'm a lacto-ovo-pescatarian, which means I'm a veggie that eats dairy, eggs and fish (only certain dairy and fish though - but that's not what this thread is about)

There was a time when I wouldn't eat them and thought they were gross. I eventually got over that and now I like them. If I lived in a place where I could have them, I'd keep chickens for their companionship and eggs.

I am picky about how they are prepared. I like them scrambled or hard fired with a broken yolk for sandwiches. Hard boiled is good too, and I like egg salad with mayo and lots of pepper. I also like them slightly undercooked in the pan because they keep cooking on your plate and usually are perfectly done when you start eating. I hate when they get tough from overcooking and green yolks in hard boiled.

Sometimes I get a craving for eggs. I figure my body is telling me I need protein or something.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 05:01:18 AM »
Fun topic!

I like eggs but try to eat them in moderate amounts, and only buy organic ones. I'm trying to learn more ways to replace eggs in cooking and baking (have already discovered chick pea omelette, for example, which I actually prefer to traditional omelette... but that's not the point of the thread either).

I'm not terribly picky about the way they are prepared. I'm not a huge fan of scrambled eggs, though. Poached eggs sound tedious to me so I never make them but I will certainly have them when offered! At home I usually eat fried eggs on toast, boiled eggs (soft or hard, depending on purpose), or tamagoyaki. Shakshuka is amazing, too! I generally prefer my eggs with slightly runny yolks, unless the recipe calls for hard-boiled eggs.

Egg salad isn't really a thing here, but we make "egg butter" which is pretty similar - it doesn't have mayo in it but just chopped hard-boiled eggs, butter and some salt (& pepper). I sometimes add chives or spring onion, and my parents like to make a lighter version by replacing some of the butter with cottage cheese. Egg butter is traditionally eaten with Karelian pastries (thinly rolled rye dough pastries filled with rice porridge or potato mash). Not something I have very often these days, but occasionally it's fun to go back to the basics. :D   

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 06:30:51 AM »
I love eggs. I like them scrambled, hard boiled, deviled  and made in to omelets.  I also like poached eggs but I don't know how to make them. 

Fried eggs are okay but my mom gets fixated on making them several times a week.    I like warm hard boiled eggs but my dad thinks the perfect way to serve them is to put them in ice water fore several minutes before eating them.  I will eat them that way too.

Ponyfan 

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 07:35:28 AM »
I like eggs. Scrambled, deviled, folded, egg salad, in soup, in rice. I've decided to cut back though.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 11:43:59 AM »
Growing up as a very picky eater with food sensory issues, eggs were one of the foods I avoided the most. Unless I was cracking one open to mix into whatever i was baking, I wouldn't touch them.

I still don't like them, but my boyfriend keeps putting scrambled eggs into my breakfast tacos now and insisting on them, and a few days ago he did one unscrambled but I made him cook the yolk so I wouldn't get sick. It was ok, but I still wanted to gag when I ate the cooked yolk  :X :X

I'll never understand how people eat these things!! I'd die before I put a deviled egg in my mouth.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »
I like eggs. I used to love soft-boiled eggs for breakfast. I don't often have them these days, ditto hard-boiled eggs in sandwiches. I just prefer other food items these days, I suppose. Sometimes, my partner or I will make scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast, but it's a bit tricky, as he likes them a lot less well-done than I do, so we have to compromise.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
I do enjoy eggs BUT... I'm allergic to them! If I eat them in trace amounts (ie baking) it's fine. if its something like Mayonnaise I end up congested. Eating them in bulk makes me very unwell.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 05:42:45 AM »
I really don't like eggs very much. One of my first clear memories was of my dad trying to trick me into eating some scrambled eggs by telling me they were the Scrambled Eggs Super from the Dr. Suess book. I make them for my kids all the time because they are easy to make, cheap, and full of protein, but the smell of cooking them makes me gag. I can choke down an omelette occassionally, so long as there is enough stuff in it that I don't really taste the egg. I don't like their blubbery texture. Sometimes I'll eat a fried egg on toast, but it needs to be over easy/medium...and I can't think about it too much while I'm eating it.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 12:42:24 PM »
I do enjoy eggs BUT... I'm allergic to them! If I eat them in trace amounts (ie baking) it's fine. if its something like Mayonnaise I end up congested. Eating them in bulk makes me very unwell.

Interesting! Is it all eggs? Like do you have the same problem with quail?

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 08:19:33 AM »
I eat eggs quite frequently. It's one of the few things I can eat. Lol. I only eat them scrambled, though. My mom makes them really good, and I also really like Braum's in their country breakfast.

|My Collection|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 06:58:55 AM »
I love eggs and will eat them in pretty much any form except raw!  My favorite might be deviled eggs... My mom makes great ones, I should really get her recipe.  Growing up we had about a dozen egg laying chickens at any given time so there were always plenty of eggs.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 12:44:05 PM »
i like eggs now. as a kid i would only eat them scrambled or deviled. i still sometimes get a little squeamish about the yolks. when i do my dogs get a treat :)

i really want to learn how to make eggs benedict. probably without ham since i don't really eat a lot of pork. i bought one of those egg poacher basket things about a year ago but i still haven't used it.

i also love omelets and they're not all that hard to make. the trick is to stop cooking before they look 100% done. they keep cooking after the heat is off. i used to make one almost every morning when i worked from home. i really need to start that again :) i don't get too fancy with them. just whatever cheese i have around and/or chives. maybe some hot sauce.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 01:45:38 PM »
As a kid, I would only eat eggs with toast soldiers xD. Now I eat fried eggs a lot, but I can't cook them...so I have to wait for when someone else is. Fortunately Mum eats a ton of them because she can't eat fish any more :)

Eggs are great :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline EllyFant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
I'm not a big egg fan. And I'm strangely picky and will only eat eggs that are prepared by myself, as when I was a kid I saw my grandmother use an egg with a blood spot in it, which freaked me out. I used to eat them more when I had a coworker who had chickens and I'd trade her blackberries for eggs. Now I rarely will buy them from the grocery store; the only time I buy eggs is when I have a recipe that calls for them.  I also dislike breakfast food, which eggs seem to be a pretty big part of.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »
I have pet chickens so I eat lots of eggs! The egg industry is pretty bad, even ‘organic’ chickens are killed at 72 weeks as they’re no longer productive :( still, organic farms are better than battery farms. All of my hens are rehomed from factory farms and they still lay really well! Eggs are definitely a staple in our house, especially in summer when they lay more frequently. We hardly get any from November-Feb so they’re a treat when spring comes around again :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 03:04:07 PM by Noasar »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal