collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Madame Alexander Dolls - Help Needed  (Read 1111 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Madame Alexander Dolls - Help Needed
« on: July 12, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
Backstory: My mother-in-law has a very large collection of Madame Alexander dolls from across multiple decades and ranging in a variety of sizes. Quite a lot of them were removed from their original boxes (boxes were kept, she flattened them all for storage reasons). Because of various health reasons she can't physically do much (she is not bedridden, but does have to spend almost all her time laying down) and her eye-sight is not the greatest at this point. So the process of identifying the dolls and trying match the dolls to their boxes (or wrist tags that were removed) is up to me and my husband.

Does anyone know of any good identification sites to help identify doll lines or which years they may have been produced in? I know that the names of the dolls are often on the dress, but a number of them were produced multiple times in different but similar outfits. (Betsy Ross, so far I have found 3 versions in her collection, but no way to identify the year) or ones like "Little Women" were produced so many times as well as the "international" type dolls. 

Also, the rubber bands inside some of them need to be replaced. Has anyone ever replaced these, and do you have a specific place you get the rubber bands from? I have watched a couple youtube videos and it seems simple enough, but wondered if anyone had personal experience doing it and if there was a specific place online that you prefer the bands from.

Lastly, if anyone knows the difference between a "bent knee" and a "walker" Madame Alexander doll and how to identify them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:32:41 PM by toyjunky »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Madame Alexander Dolls - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »
I haven't had much luck finding anything as far as a solid community or resources go for vintage dolls. You may be able to find some Madame Alexander doll books showing various releases. I know my library has some.

I would suggest joining the FB group "Vintage and Antique Doll Showplace" and seeing if anyone there is willing to help you out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Madame Alexander Dolls - Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:19:41 PM »
 Thank you for the book suggestion. While I was unable to find any specific ones at my local library, I did find one on Amazon that focused solely on the international dolls (and she has a lot of those) and it has been very helpful in identifying various items (shoes, accessories, etc.)  :)

I ended up purchasing a small set of doll bands on Etsy and was able to repair 5 of her dolls pretty easily. So that worked out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 05:23:08 PM by toyjunky »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal