collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Roses, the late David Austin and Dame Judi Dench  (Read 662 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • Things I make and Do
Roses, the late David Austin and Dame Judi Dench
« on: June 29, 2021, 08:28:11 AM »
Is anyone else obsessed with roses? I found this amazing photo series from the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in 2017.

https://www.pumpkinbeth.com/2017/05/new-introductions-david-austin-roses-2017/?unapproved=76509&moderation-hash=79bb2b28d94ccf4d3b953143ff677f03#comment-76509

The late great David Austin presents Dame Judi Dench with a rose he has named in her honour. She looks radiant, he's amazing, it's all too much  :cry:

Hope you enjoy.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, Crumpet in de-flocking condition, Waterfall blue towel, Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:
:green: Happy to do deals for Arena members on any of my stuff for sale on Ebay  :green:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Roses, the late David Austin and Dame Judi Dench
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 09:53:58 PM »
I will share this with my Mum, she LOVES roses. She has a selection of her favourite roses in the garden, all bought from David Austen. From memory she has:

Iceberg (not David Austen, but was already in the garden when we moved in)
The Prince
New Dawn
Scepter'd isle

There are two others I can't remember the name of, but they are both pink and highly scented.

I recall Mum and Dad going on a trip to see the David Austen nursery some years ago.

Love pkw xxx

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »
I love plants in general, and roses are super pretty. I bought some plants from Claire Austen last spring, but not roses...we already have too many really for any more.

Right now we have Leverkusen up the front of the house - it's about 20 years old and it's beautiful, but you do get a shower of petals as well xD. At the back we've two Dortmund which are really stunning this year.

I think they might have come from DA but it's a long time ago.

We've also got a couple of others whose names I forget, who did come from DA. One is a frilly white-pink rose and the other a peachish colour. They're about 15 years old now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MOC Mimic
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 04:11:35 PM »
I just inherited three roses at our new house. One is definitely 'Desdemona' another might be 'Charles Darwin'.  The third is a medium pink double that's harder to ID. possibly 'England's Rose'.

I love Leverkusen and New Dawn particularly, you ladies (or your Mums) certainly have good taste in roses!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, Crumpet in de-flocking condition, Waterfall blue towel, Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:
:green: Happy to do deals for Arena members on any of my stuff for sale on Ebay  :green:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Master of Orange Ponies
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
When I was a little kid, one of my friend's dad grew roses on a professional level. He would show them at competitions and stuff. Anyway, their backyard was FULL of roses. We weren't allowed to play in most of the yard, but there was a place with a sandbox we could play in. I remember being very respectful of them and telling the other kids, before my friend could, don't play by the roses! Haha :)

|Wants|Raincurl|Belltock|
Avatar by Shaiyeh. Sigs by Annie and SDS.

• MOC Mimic
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 09:11:37 PM »
When I was a little kid, one of my friend's dad grew roses on a professional level. He would show them at competitions and stuff. Anyway, their backyard was FULL of roses. We weren't allowed to play in most of the yard, but there was a place with a sandbox we could play in. I remember being very respectful of them and telling the other kids, before my friend could, don't play by the roses! Haha :)

His passion for roses must have impressed you! I got hooked when I helped to grow a mirror collection of David Austin roses. They are so good en masse.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 10:12:35 PM »
I know I got my appreciation of roses from my Mum. I would make rose water with the rose petals (with her permission).

She had about 10-14 hybrid t roses in the front garden at our old house and 6-10 old roses in the back garden including a couple of climbing roses. The ones I recall we had there were: Little White Pet", Mermaid, Gertrude Jekyll, Iceberg, Rose Peace and Blue Moon. She had a moss rose as well, I recall her calling it "The Nymph". It was a long time ago now and my memory is fuzzy.

Love pkw xxx 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal