collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW IDW has announced G5 comics  (Read 16346 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2022, 08:36:53 AM »
My disclaimer - all my post is based on you guys giving me second hand information, since I have no intention of reading this myself. But with that said...

Spoiler
The fact they make a g1 pony say 'everypony' fills me with rage. It fits one of my most hated G4 customs, the desire to impose G4 everything on older generations where it doesn't belong.

Surprise is basically just being reinterpreted as Pinkie Pie because she's the concept 6 for Pinkie Pie. I don't think it requires a deeper explanation, since this is a G4 comic pretending to do G1 stuff to try and grab new readers given their own is fading away. But I can't imagine any actual G1 person would not notice these things.

That all said, G1 ponies do not have a set canon in their characterisation, so even if it's ugly, it's not out of keeping with G1 as a whole. So I am less mad about the warping of Surprise, given that if I'm honest with myself, I get just as annoyed by some of the G1 animation characterisations compared with the comic, and yet know they're valid.

On the tales pony. My initial thought was that it was a positive thing, as it maybe demonstrated they were part of G1, but I've rethought based on the possible (?) mention G3 Minty is in there. If so, Bon Bon may be there to 'represent G2' and in which case, it's as disgusting as Galaxy saying 'everypony'. It may be no such thing but otherwise using a tales pony seems a bit random. So that would be my instinct.

On the subject of sliding down the rainbow. I have a feeling this may have happened in the comic around the waterfall at some point. I don't have any issues with it at all really. It's just a bit odd.

So in summary - 'everypony' and Bonbon - if representing G2 - are disgusting. Everything else is just their creative freedom, even if it's a bit lame.

I feel like it's even moire mysterious why they would want to do a G1xG4 crossover given they don't understand even the first thing about G1. It feels like a very poor fanfiction that is somehow getting sold instead of just read online? They should just have left it G4.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »
Spoiler
Good point on the "is Tales 'representing' G2" thing - hadn't even considered that but you could be onto something... she HAS to be there for Brony-related reasons. It can't be a coincidence that they picked the one whose name bronies borrowed for a G4 background pony.

Honestly I've never understood why this comic exists. It's clearly not aimed at us - you know, G1 fans - but... I dunno, I can't say I know how G4 fans think, what they'd like to see, etc, but would they really be into this...? It seems so far removed from the G1 cartoons (or ANY previous G1 works - like I've said all along, I'm fine with a bit of reinterpretation, mixing canons, etc, but this just really feels like G1 in name only, not much connection to anything? It doesn't "feel" like G1) that surely it wouldn't appeal to any G4 fans who maybe enjoy some concepts from G1 but not the gen itself? if that makes sense? I'm sure there ARE some primarily-G4 fans who are also into G1...
The G4 stuff in the comic felt pretty generic to me, what I read of it, but I don't do G4 so I can't really comment there.

It's just a weird choice for a comic all around. Surely a crossover is meant to appeal to fans of both properties that were crossing over? Why make a "crossover" and then have it focus on entirely new chars who have nothing to do with G1 other than some very tenuous, vague, tacked-in links to older characters - which you could snip out and it wouldn't affect the story itself - and not introduce any actual G1 characters until the story's already over half over?!?! I know I keep saying this, but it's just so bizarre!

Out of curiosity - I know there was a FiM/Transformers crossover comic at some point - has anyone on here read it? Did that suffer from the same problems as this G1 comic or was it a proper crossover?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2022, 10:43:58 AM »
I don't know anything about Transformers so I can't speak on the comic's quality. I noticed a traced/heavily referenced Rarity in a preview image once. XD

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
My disclaimer - all my post is based on you guys giving me second hand information, since I have no intention of reading this myself. But with that said...

Spoiler
The fact they make a g1 pony say 'everypony' fills me with rage. It fits one of my most hated G4 customs, the desire to impose G4 everything on older generations where it doesn't belong.

Surprise is basically just being reinterpreted as Pinkie Pie because she's the concept 6 for Pinkie Pie. I don't think it requires a deeper explanation, since this is a G4 comic pretending to do G1 stuff to try and grab new readers given their own is fading away. But I can't imagine any actual G1 person would not notice these things.

That all said, G1 ponies do not have a set canon in their characterisation, so even if it's ugly, it's not out of keeping with G1 as a whole. So I am less mad about the warping of Surprise, given that if I'm honest with myself, I get just as annoyed by some of the G1 animation characterisations compared with the comic, and yet know they're valid.

On the tales pony. My initial thought was that it was a positive thing, as it maybe demonstrated they were part of G1, but I've rethought based on the possible (?) mention G3 Minty is in there. If so, Bon Bon may be there to 'represent G2' and in which case, it's as disgusting as Galaxy saying 'everypony'. It may be no such thing but otherwise using a tales pony seems a bit random. So that would be my instinct.

On the subject of sliding down the rainbow. I have a feeling this may have happened in the comic around the waterfall at some point. I don't have any issues with it at all really. It's just a bit odd.

So in summary - 'everypony' and Bonbon - if representing G2 - are disgusting. Everything else is just their creative freedom, even if it's a bit lame.

I feel like it's even moire mysterious why they would want to do a G1xG4 crossover given they don't understand even the first thing about G1. It feels like a very poor fanfiction that is somehow getting sold instead of just read online? They should just have left it G4.

Spoiler
I hated it so much when I read it. NOT G1 AT ALL!

The Surprise stuff irritates me because she is my absolute favorite pony and it makes me RAGE comparing her to Pinkie Pie. No matter the circumstances  :blush:

I'm also upset with myself when my mind is hyper focused on the tv show and forgetting about the UK comics, I need to re read my collection. My nostalgia kicks in too hard  :blush:

Oh my I forgot all about the "Tales is G2" thing   :blink:

I decided to just show the preview pages I got to see:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I do appreciate that Surprise's hair isn't yellow :lol:

I'm dreading to read the full comic at midnight  :P

With the Transformer comic, my best friend showed me a page just because of LGBTQ+ content (if I'm thinking clearly), but other than that I have no clue if it's any good.

MIDNIGHT EDIT: REVIEW….

:shocked: :| >_< -_- :mad: :pout:

Spoiler
When I thought I couldn’t hate it more, they found a way! Though the beginning had a kind of nice pace…they messed it all up and hit fast forward!

Surprise continues her horrible “valley/surf guy” dialog….

Ugh! Just so much was rushed in this issue -_- why did the writers and such hype that they liked G1??? Cause I don’t see it  :blink:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 09:47:02 PM by Wildshadow »

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2022, 07:21:54 AM »

Spoiler

Spoiler
I hated it so much when I read it. NOT G1 AT ALL!

The Surprise stuff irritates me because she is my absolute favorite pony and it makes me RAGE comparing her to Pinkie Pie. No matter the circumstances  :blush:

I'm also upset with myself when my mind is hyper focused on the tv show and forgetting about the UK comics, I need to re read my collection. My nostalgia kicks in too hard  :blush:

Oh my I forgot all about the "Tales is G2" thing   :blink:

I decided to just show the preview pages I got to see:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I do appreciate that Surprise's hair isn't yellow :lol:

I'm dreading to read the full comic at midnight  :P

With the Transformer comic, my best friend showed me a page just because of LGBTQ+ content (if I'm thinking clearly), but other than that I have no clue if it's any good.

MIDNIGHT EDIT: REVIEW….

:shocked: :| >_< -_- :mad: :pout:

Spoiler
When I thought I couldn’t hate it more, they found a way! Though the beginning had a kind of nice pace…they messed it all up and hit fast forward!

Surprise continues her horrible “valley/surf guy” dialog….

Ugh! Just so much was rushed in this issue -_- why did the writers and such hype that they liked G1??? Cause I don’t see it  :blink:

They clearly have never seen it in their lives.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »
I would agree with LAW. Either they used google and lied about liking G1, or they were made to change things they wanted to do to fit the demands of the publication. OR I suppose they were G4 people who didn't hate G1 but didn't understand the first thing about it. Liking and understanding are not necessarily the same thing.

Spoiler

That everypony *grr*.

What is very odd from those panels is the revolving door of G1 (ish) ponies. They're just appearing one after another but there's no real continuity. Surprise had nothing to do with the smooze, which might explain why she doesn't know what actually happened to it in the end...

The whole thing is what I said before. Bad fanfiction, only fanfiction that's making money. Somehow.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2022, 08:46:12 AM »
I'm off to work. Issue 4 continues to disappoint, though. You could take the G1 ponies out of the story and it does nothing to change it aside from the fact that the main ponies use some magical artifact they get from G1.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
I'm just happy that G1 ponies are portrayed in a positive light.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »
I do feel like G1 ponies don't need to speak G4-ponyish. They can leave that to the G4 ponies, and speak their own way, surely?

Spoiler
It's just I guess evidence that the people writing aren't fans of G1, they're more likely fans of G4 who are not hostile to G1, but don't know a lot about it. The smooze plot is good indication of that, since the smooze ate the Rainbow of Light, and that's also Megan dressed from RaMC...not the movie.

Baby Lickety Split must've grown up, and Bon Bon and Minty have never seen smooze, so what use they'll be I can't tell you.

I actually can't remember if Galaxy is in the movie. She probably is, timeline wise, but the fact I can't remember makes me think she's an odd choice of spokespony.

Yeah, I get that they're not actively mocking G1, but it's not exactly respectful either, to just merge them into the G4 world like they don't believe G1 has anything of its own to offer. It's not a negative light, but it's not really a positive one, since they're just there as props to further (a weak) G4-based narrative. Don't get me wrong, that's not an attack on G4, just the story they're building here is weak because they don't seem to know quite what they want from it. New characters, then old characters, then changing characters...

It's just a shame that they could have done so much to make this a really good story between two different types of pony, and it didn't happen. And I don't like generational crossovers, but it could have been done so much better for the fans of both.

Sidenote - it's hard to know why any G1 pony would be surprised at Pinkie Pie's usual attention seeking nonsense clumsiness, given the existence of Fizzy.

And if BonBon is there for the reason I think, that's not good. We shouldn't endorse something that wants to steamroller over the existence of a whole generation simply because they didn't have a cartoon.
I suppose devil's advocate says that everything is there to be reinterpreted through a new lens, otherwise it doesn't stay alive. And it's a way to connect G4 fans who are curious to the older generations through something they understand...? Maybe?

But it's not really a crossover.  There's nothing in this for G1 fans, unless they're also fans of G4...though if I were a G4 fan, I think I'd be confused.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2022, 07:02:08 PM »
There's not much for G4 fans either because it's a really lame comic issue. The comics have always been rather hit or miss, but the series mostly focuses on random villains that G4 fans aren't given a reason to care about. They usually put a lot of new characters into the comics, but those comics can often be weaker.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2022, 07:52:13 PM »
I do feel like G1 ponies don't need to speak G4-ponyish. They can leave that to the G4 ponies, and speak their own way, surely?

Spoiler
It's just I guess evidence that the people writing aren't fans of G1, they're more likely fans of G4 who are not hostile to G1, but don't know a lot about it. The smooze plot is good indication of that, since the smooze ate the Rainbow of Light, and that's also Megan dressed from RaMC...not the movie.

Baby Lickety Split must've grown up, and Bon Bon and Minty have never seen smooze, so what use they'll be I can't tell you.

I actually can't remember if Galaxy is in the movie. She probably is, timeline wise, but the fact I can't remember makes me think she's an odd choice of spokespony.

Yeah, I get that they're not actively mocking G1, but it's not exactly respectful either, to just merge them into the G4 world like they don't believe G1 has anything of its own to offer. It's not a negative light, but it's not really a positive one, since they're just there as props to further (a weak) G4-based narrative. Don't get me wrong, that's not an attack on G4, just the story they're building here is weak because they don't seem to know quite what they want from it. New characters, then old characters, then changing characters...

It's just a shame that they could have done so much to make this a really good story between two different types of pony, and it didn't happen. And I don't like generational crossovers, but it could have been done so much better for the fans of both.

Sidenote - it's hard to know why any G1 pony would be surprised at Pinkie Pie's usual attention seeking nonsense clumsiness, given the existence of Fizzy.

And if BonBon is there for the reason I think, that's not good. We shouldn't endorse something that wants to steamroller over the existence of a whole generation simply because they didn't have a cartoon.
I suppose devil's advocate says that everything is there to be reinterpreted through a new lens, otherwise it doesn't stay alive. And it's a way to connect G4 fans who are curious to the older generations through something they understand...? Maybe?

But it's not really a crossover.  There's nothing in this for G1 fans, unless they're also fans of G4...though if I were a G4 fan, I think I'd be confused.

:iconclap:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2022, 04:37:38 AM »
Spoiler
Galaxy isn't in the movie - her first appearance in the show is in "The End of Flutter Valley",l as an animation error, then her proper debut is in "The Ghost of Paradise Estate".

Personally I don't mind a bit of reinterpretation re: who was around for what events, etc, since the series was always a bit of a "revolving door of ponies" anyway (complete cast changeovers between RaMC and Catrina, and then again for the Movie; SS Twilight/Locket/FT babies just appearing out of nowhere), but yeah having Galaxy specifically be the main pony for this sort of thing is a weird choice, going off you guys' posts (haven't read the issue myself yet).

The G4 speak annoys me since (aside from the fact that I've always hated "everypony" etc anyway, it just sounds so stupid and forced... and, you know, G1 ponies didn't talk like that) - lack of differentiation between the casts!! when you have two distinct cast groups like this meet (esp. in a crossover situation, which this ostensibly is...), you want to really push the differences between the two, emphasize "these are different ponies from a different place (and time? idk)". If they all use the exact same expressions, speech patterns, etc then there's not much left to distinguish between the G4 gang and the G1 ponies, right?

Like I said, I haven't read this one yet so I'll bow out of the convo now until I get a chance to, but I just... don't get why they marketed this as a crossover, like you guys said... It just feels like the writers were told "you've gotta do a crossover", or one of them said "uhhh what can we do next, um, errr, what haven't we done already.. umm....... crossover?", and then they just spent an hour or two doing some basic googling on facts. I don't expect them to become super experts "just" to write a six-issue comic, but like... why does it exist to begin with? No one was asking for this as far as I can tell (obviously idk about the G4 side of things - if it was me, I've always preferred series to stick to their own storyline rather than doing crossovers - but obvs I can't speak for everyone there), the writers probably would've been more excited to do a story featuring chars they were 100% familiar with... just... why??

There's not much for G4 fans either because it's a really lame comic issue. The comics have always been rather hit or miss, but the series mostly focuses on random villains that G4 fans aren't given a reason to care about. They usually put a lot of new characters into the comics, but those comics can often be weaker.

Thx for the input from the G4 side of things, I was wondering about that... what I read of the story felt really lame and slow-paced when I was trying to take it as its own thing and not go "how the heck is this a crossover?!?!", glad to see it's not just me feeling like that :P

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2022, 06:10:44 AM »
Maybe it's just that it's trying to do too many things, thus failing at all of them.

On the subject of everypony, aside it being annoying (especially when fans use it in conversation ><), it's also not very inclusive. It always sounds to me like a bit of a hypocrisy, where only the ponies are important, rather than all the other species that also inhabit G4's world. I never thought of it particularly deeply till seeing that ep with the griffins and their treasure that is less important than friendship, but since seeing that, everypony just feels distinctly uncomfortable and colonial. And I know it's entirely accidental that that's happened. But sometimes the accidental stuff that just happens is the most awkward, because people just don't see it.

Thanks on Galaxy, Carrehz. I'm glad my memory isn't faulty about her being in the movie. You're right that the cast doesn't matter overly, so long as it's consistent from page to page of the comic even if not consistent with stuff outside the comic. I mean, its not like the UK comic stuck to the original cast when it did its version of the smooze story.  Image in spoiler as it's big.
Spoiler

This happened some several years after the movie and who knows why, or wtf was going on with beachball in that image...but on those grounds I can't really blame the IDW for tweaking the cast. It just feels like they didn't know what they were really aiming for.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:12:17 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »
I'm going to write my full review of the new issue soon, but I just wanted to say WOW winged unicorn Beachball! Never thought I'd see that! XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »
omg Taffeta I LOVE that comic cover! :lmao: WU Beachball!

I think I remember reading something about how that comic came about... something like, it was a last-minute fill-in job or... something? Argh, I'm blanking on the details but I'm sure I remember there being some particular story behind it. I tried searching through LadyMoondancer's tumblr to see if I'd read it there, but nothing came up :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal