collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
Re: IDW to End Friendship is Magic Series-G1/G4 Crossover Mini-Series
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2021, 12:15:09 AM »
No...it just exposes that they don't know the first thing about G1 and don't have any viable source material to use as their reference. If they did proper research on the characters they wanted to draw, then they'd probably get the colours right, whatever style they used.

It usually annoys me when collectors put random words into the search engine and just believe whatever answer it spits out, but this...is on a whole new level.

I don't even know what to think.
(But go mad on the customs anyway xD)

Would those customs be titled Screen Error Morning Glory?  :P

Abbreviated to Scrorny.

Scrorny! :snicker:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • MOC Mimic
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »
Dang, you're right, looks like they DID use that wonky screengrab as a ref! I was racking my brains trying to figure out where the heck the colours could've come from, since everyone else is pretty much the right colours and I couldn't recall Morning Glory ever going purple.. that cap must've come from a bad/low quality TV grab or something, I'm pretty sure her colours are consistent in the series.

Although, going off how they drew her wings, it looks like they DID look up more than one ref pic so... weird. Maybe someone else coloured it. Her colours aren't that off in the screenshot either... It's just odd since CC and Glory are drawn pretty much exactly how they appear in RaMC:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

right down to the ribbon colours, and then there's purple MG and it's just... *shakes head*

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
Oh geeze  :hmm:

I'm surprised they didn't some how add Starlite running on the rainbow.

I'm glad I wasn't expecting to enjoy this comic. Now I'm only for the Volcano and any signs of Surprise, even if they mess her up. :zzz:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G5 Hype Train
    • Tungler
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »
I'm afraid now that they're just going to color morning glory wrong when she appears in the actual comic! That feels like a pretty dire error. They have to provide cover artists with some sort of colors, right?

Haves | SalesPony Life Wiki | G5 Wiki
Steam: MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz | IG: Ponystrange; G5MLP | Sig by the lovely Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »
I'd love a new pony in those colors. Reminds me of Twist. Maybe G5 will finally see a resurgence of flutter ponies? Make the wings translucent and colorful like sun catchers.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • MOC Mimic
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2021, 08:09:52 PM »
I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure how comic covers work these days, with all the variant covers and such. Some of the ones I've seen (not for MLP specifically but in general) definitely seem to have been a case of "We gave the artists free reign" idk if they'd have been regulating colours... but yeah you'd have thought someone would have pointed it out. :p I'm still curious as to why it's Morning Glory at all since the solicitation said it was *Rosedust* in the story? Not that there's anything wrong with them having both but I dunno, it just seems weird.

(Well.... actually I'd prefer they keep away from MG since she's my favourite and I don't want them to mess her up, but.. you know what I mean. :silly:)

I hope they get it right for the comic itself, at least. Heck maybe they could fix the cover before it goes to print if they realize it's messed up in time, somehow I feel like they probably won't bother to though x) I really wouldn't nitpick if it was just a slight colour error but come on... would it really have killed them to do more than 0.2 seconds of research on this? ^^;;;

Offline Taffeta

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2021, 08:35:49 PM »
I can completely believe they did 0.2 seconds of research on it. This is the world we live in now. I swear, if people did more than 0.2 seconds of research on their pony finds and collections, I'd probably be able to retire. I'd certainly have a party. It's the fault of google. The instant answer is better than the one that takes time, and this is kind of the proof of it.

Also, I don't think they really think our generation will notice, or care, about this as an entity. And there's no real recognition or respect for G1 as a thing in the whole construction of this. They're just tools to try and construct their own version of the narrative. It's not really like they've seriously tried (from what we've seen so far) to build a cohesive cast or narrative for this collab.

Instead of having a selection of specific ponies and sticking to it and illustrating them in the way they have the M6, they've been all over the place.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »
I can completely believe they did 0.2 seconds of research on it. This is the world we live in now. I swear, if people did more than 0.2 seconds of research on their pony finds and collections, I'd probably be able to retire. I'd certainly have a party. It's the fault of google. The instant answer is better than the one that takes time, and this is kind of the proof of it.

Also, I don't think they really think our generation will notice, or care, about this as an entity. And there's no real recognition or respect for G1 as a thing in the whole construction of this. They're just tools to try and construct their own version of the narrative. It's not really like they've seriously tried (from what we've seen so far) to build a cohesive cast or narrative for this collab.

Instead of having a selection of specific ponies and sticking to it and illustrating them in the way they have the M6, they've been all over the place.

I've a feeling this little "project" will go out with barely a whimper anyway. It certainly didn't come in with a bang.

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
The next issue is another big snooze fest.... VERY predictable and all the modern things in the dialog of the daughters is ANNOYING.

I only like Violet Shiver because I love winter/snow/ice stuff...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I fear I already know what's going to happen in the next issue  :zzz:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+100)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
My spoiler-y review!

Issue 1:

Issue 2:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the detailed review, Dragonflitter ;)

On the End of Flutter Valley, @Wildshadow - that was quite dull, boring and neverending as a plot anyway. Probably a bad choice to use as a basis.

For the most part the witches and the smooze (and even Megan, honestly) didn't have much presence in the UK comic, not even around the time the movie was out. But I do remember there was one MLP&Friends issue which for some reason went into the whole idea of the smooze and ponies being attacked from it, including Majesty, who among others was knocked out by it. The weird thing about this story for me was that it was some time after the movie had left cinemas - I'm talking years - and it was just so...out of sync with the comic in general?

The description of this makes me feel the same.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G5 Hype Train
    • Tungler
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2021, 05:26:44 PM »
Forgot to say the second issue came out the other day. Love your review, Dragonflitter!

Total snooze fest all around. It's weird seeing the new ponies drawn freshly but the mane 6 + Starlight being drawn to mimic stock images. I can point out some instances of tracing or heavily referencing popular google image results, but for some reason the new ponies don't get this treatment?

Haves | SalesPony Life Wiki | G5 Wiki
Steam: MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz | IG: Ponystrange; G5MLP | Sig by the lovely Starscout <3

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2021, 06:08:00 PM »
My spoiler-y review!

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

On the End of Flutter Valley, @Wildshadow - that was quite dull, boring and neverending as a plot anyway. Probably a bad choice to use as a basis.

Offline Taffeta

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2021, 06:09:39 PM »
@Wildshadow - I meant as their basis, not yours ;) Sorry :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
This sounds like a mess, and not even in the surreal alice in wonderland or crack fic way. At least there's an entertaining possum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal