collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Discolored TE Pony? Help Please!  (Read 820 times)

Offline KasaraWolf

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Discolored TE Pony? Help Please!
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
Hello!

Its been quite awhile since I've posted on here! But I am back and with a question~
I have a TE Gingerbread who is discolored and has cancer spots. I found her some years back at an Arizona thrift store while on a road trip and would love her to join the rest of my herd. However, I was wondering what method I should use to restore her. I was thinking the hydrogen peroxide method would work, BUT I heard there is also a sun bleach method, but I saw a post somewhere that said that sun bleaching her could burn the pony :wacko:. Her hair is already damaged and her cutie marks are almost completely gone (on one side there is no cutie mark at all, so I don't know if she ever had that one to begin with honestly) so I most likely will re hair her and maybe touch up what's left of the cutie mark, or get rid of it completely. If I do go with the Hydrogen Peroxide, do I need to pop out her eyes, or will they be okay?

Pictures below! (The ponies in the background are ones I am planning on selling later on)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Any help is much appreciated!!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Discolored TE Pony? Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 04:29:33 PM »
Gingerbread is notorious for discoloring, and I don't think I've seen one that's completely white.
Sunfading always has a chance to burn any pony. Whichever you choose, just keep a close eye on her and take her in if you start to see things turn for the worse.
Hydrogen Peroxide will, I think, take off any coating on her plastic eyes. If yours doesn't have any of the shiny coating, then there's not much else it will do. Of course, you'd have to put her in the sun too if you choose this.

Personally, I'd just leave her. Gingerbread is too fickle a beast for me to reliably say one specific method will work.

Her hair doesn't look too bad in my opinion either! But that's probably because I'm used to defrizzing and G4 with rough hair.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
Yeah Gingerbread just might need to model some Pony Wear to cover her spots.  She doesn't really restore well...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 04:58:03 AM »
It is possible to find a nice Gingerbread. Incredibly rare, but possible. Restoring one that bad...probably not going to happen. I don’t think anything really takes out age spots, and most whitening techniques have an equal chance to make things worse as they do whitening for ponies like her. I think the only guaranteed way to get her pristine white would be to be a *really* good painter who can get the finish *perfect*, and reconstruct the symbol perfectly too.  I ended up with a Nightlight that had some age spots painted over very well(discovered it cleaning, and boy was that a surprise), but if the whole body is discolored, it’s a whole body repaint.  If you’re already planning on rehairing and repainting the symbols, that is an option. Some people can paint without leaving any brush strokes, but a spray gun would easier for the whole body. 

Personally, of she was mine, I’d make a little display of things from/related to the trip I found her on, and make sure they were strategically placed to cover up as many problems as possible.  The already mentioned ponywear idea is an option too, though some outfits might stain. 

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 05:22:06 AM »
Buy a primer (Vallejo) prime the pony make sure you cover the eyes wait for the pony to dry over night then paint it white redo the symbols. Then let it dry and then coat it with a matte varnish to make sure the paint doesn’t chip.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 07:27:47 AM »
Gingerbread does get sunburnt, she has fading pink hair and you'd damage the eyes with hydrogen peroxide. You'd need to pop the eyes out and keep the hair away from the solution and sunlight. I think the hair can be savec with a gentle defrizzing method. They really don't look that bad. Try some conditioner.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »
I tried sunfading a slightly creamy Gingerbread, now she’s solid brown. Don’t sunfade her, it won’t work. Peroxide or a fbr are probably your best shots, but be warned that peroxide won’t make age spots go away and if you paint over the age spots, new age spots will show up over the paint.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal