collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35-40th Anniversary ponies - Mark IV  (Read 38452 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 35 Anniversary ponies - Mark IV
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »
It'd be really evil if they decided to sell the babies blind bagged. The newborn twins would be especially suitable for this. People would want to complete the twin pairs as well as trying to get the full set. :biggrin:

That idea is absolutely evil...... don't give them any ideas.
On the bright side, the Posey set I bought on ebay (for way too much than I prefer) arrived early, are perfectly fine and are in the same 3 language box that everyone is seeing.

In regards to the question of "Why don't they have their own store, why not sell to collectors online, etc." the reality is Basic Fun is a toy company making products for kids. Despite the fact that we are enjoying buying them, the target market is kids (and for parents who have kids to remember having them and then wanting to buy them for their own kids).

There is a really good video (if your interested) that this particular YouTube channel has in regards to how to tell if toys are designed for kids or collectors and it also has a brief discussion of why certain products and not others are given retail space. The person that made this video worked for Mattel at one point and a lot of the videos on their channel give insights into the toy industry decision making processes. While they generally do talk about action figures, a lot of the same information applies to toys/toy brands in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3hHVlXxMY

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:17:19 PM by toyjunky »

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 05:34:05 PM »

In regards to the question of "Why don't they have their own store, why not sell to collectors online, etc." the reality is Basic Fun is a toy company making products for kids. Despite the fact that we are enjoying buying them, the target market is kids (and for parents who have kids to remember having them and then wanting to buy them for their own kids).

I actually spoke with Basic Fun about this a few days ago when I was thanking them for replacing a defective pony, and they explained that they just aren't 'set up' to create and run an online platform to exclusively sell their products- which is sad, but I think BF is a bit smaller than the bigger toy companies (MGA, Hasbro, Mattel etc) so that would explain why it's not on the table.

I don't think I'd agree that it's because the Retro line is entirely intended for kids; they frequently talk to collectors and acknowledge the requests of collectors for certain ponies, reveal which ones are coming next, etc so they definitely understand that both adult MLP collectors and the more casual, nostalgic adult customer is a primary driving force behind this line, so if they had the ability to sell them online I think they likely would.

In other news, they didn't confirm or deny that the line will be ending after the TE set; they basically just said it depends on whether or not retailers will pick up any other sets in the future- they also indicated that while Cracker Barrel and Meijer are the only major retailers picking them up, they do also have a distributor who sells to small specialty shops!

Since there are a few smaller shops carrying the Posey set, I hope they'll be getting the TE set as well.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 02:41:36 PM »
In fairness getting online retailers on board would probably be enough.

Over here knex imports them and that seems to be the case even with the trilingual boxes so I am hopeful...

Our small retailers have had the posey set.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 12:16:05 AM »
One thing that concerns me about the Basic Fun marketing for MLP is that their Instagram feed is nonstop Care Bears, with occasional breaks for Pound Puppies; there's almost no MLP, and there hasn't been for months now. I don't necessarily think that it's that instagrammers aren't posting about them, but that BF is choosing not to highlight those posts. There's also almost no Strawberry Shortcake, who's currently at my Target while MLP is not.

I really hope Target gets the line again, or we at least can get a standard place to find the latest releases online!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Magicharp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Playing music on my harp named Grover!
    • View Profile
    • The Punisher's Harp
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
I've seen a lot of Care Bears in the toy section of my local Wal*Mart store I visited a few days ago to pick up some socks I ordered online. There should be MLP in the section as well. But alas, no MLPs found, but there are lots of Care Bears and Cave Club dolls on the shelves in the MLP/doll aisle.
"One Batch. Two Batch. Penny and Dime." - Frank Castle

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
It is concerning that Target has dropped the line given its reach over there, but maybe the pandemic has made online sales more successful? It may be when things settle they might reach out to Target again.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
The MLP sections at my local Target and Walmart have only one or two MLP things in them and the rest of the aisle is full of other toys. 

I saw Surprise at Cracker Barrel last week and a few Strawberry Shortcake dolls there also.

My local Target didn't have any BF ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »
Trying to keep everyone on the same page, MLPMerch is up to date.

We are expecting twinkle eyes next. Sky Rocket, Fizzy, Gingerbread, and Sweet Stuff.

Fizzy & a pristine Gingerbread will be on my wish-list!!  :cool:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 07:12:34 PM »
Checked my BF Surprise and sure enough she has a bit of yellow on her leg where her tail was connected with the rubber band.  It looks like someone drew a line on her with a highlighter.  Does anyone know if I can sunfade it out or will it burn the plastic?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 02:56:59 PM »
Heh, I told my sister which TEs were on the list and she was righteously disgusted at the selection. They're all ponies she has already ;) She wants Masquerade and Whizzer ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
Heh, I told my sister which TEs were on the list and she was righteously disgusted at the selection. They're all ponies she has already ;) She wants Masquerade and Whizzer ;)

I'd love to have Bright Eyes. :lovey:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »

I'd love to have Bright Eyes. :lovey:

Ditto Bright Eyes! She's kind of a mini-grail on my list...I just can't seem to bring myself to spend $40+ on her, but she's the TE pony I want the most (after a certain green unicorn who costs 10× that much, of course!)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 04:48:44 PM »
I don't have any of the TEs BF intends to release and the idea of crisp white Gingerbreads getting made is exciting!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 12:31:56 AM »
Checked my BF Surprise and sure enough she has a bit of yellow on her leg where her tail was connected with the rubber band.  It looks like someone drew a line on her with a highlighter.  Does anyone know if I can sunfade it out or will it burn the plastic?

I missed this before - I haven't tried to do anything with mine, because I'm worried about damaging that beautiful white. It's not too much of a bother, her being marked, it's just a bit of a shame that the yellow hair seeps in like that and that Surprise is a white pony. :/

If you do decide to sunfade, let us know how you get on.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 03:25:04 AM »
Trying to keep everyone on the same page, MLPMerch is up to date.

We are expecting twinkle eyes next. Sky Rocket, Fizzy, Gingerbread, and Sweet Stuff.

I'm so excited for these! Really hoping we get them. I don't have Gingerbread and Sweet Stuff, due to thier plastic problems. I did own a minty Gingerbread for about a week but I sold her because she made me feel worried because she was 'too nice'. I did have my cousin's childhood Fizzy but I sent her off to be re-haired and she never returned. I don't happen to have Sky Rocket iether. So this release would be great for me. Happily (for me) I also love the Gingerbread pose! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I'd also have loved to see Whizzer because she is cute and so often has the head-body mismatch. Masquerade would also be lovely: THE HAIR! Fingers crossed.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal