collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is only BBE Sundance stamped China?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline iam_misshennessy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Is only BBE Sundance stamped China?
« on: April 15, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »
So you may or may not know, some ponies will be stand with Hong Kong in the exact same pony will be stamped with china. For example, summer Wing pony High Flyer can be stamped with either Hong Kong or China. There are very subtle differences in the two, and it's usually that one is just a little chunkier than the other. I'm taking pictures of items I'll be selling and I noticed as I was photographing the bottoms of the feet on some of my beddy bye eye baby ponies, that Sundance is stamped with China. The rest were Hong Kong.

I checked all of my beddy bye eye ponies that are for sale, including two Sundance. Unfortunately my pony room / office plan isn't going to happen as originally planned due to now needing to share the room with someone, so all of that stuff got put on hold and therefore my ponies are still mostly packed away :( so I did not check my own set of beddy bye eye ponies.

But from the 20 or so that I have for sale, the only two that had China stamped on the bottom of their feet, are the two Sundance.

So is there a beddy bye eye baby Sundance that is stamped Hong Kong? Or are there others in the line that are stamped China? Or is it just Sundance stamped with China?
I SELL VINTAGE & NEW NAME BRAND TOYS!
* Taking a break from inventory to focus on expanding my personal collection, so VERY interested in trades!
- ISO & trade link coming soon! -
SALES
Message with toy requests. 100s of brands!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Is only BBE Sundance stamped China?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:57:55 PM »
I have a small army of BBE babies for well, unthinkable, dirty rotten terrible purposes... I'll check mine over the weekend to see what the foot stamps all say.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:30:42 PM »
Interesting catch. I checked all my BBE, Sundance is stamped China with the rest having Hong Kong.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
I am pretty sure all the ones I have seen are China stamped. I checked my Molly doll and she is marked China as well.

This is interesting, Molly was released in 1985-1986? Am I right in thinking that some of the ponies that year were made in China and others Hong Kong?

I wonder what it says on her box about her manufacture?

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:33:58 AM »
The No Country Sundance sold in Europe is also suspected to be made in China (because that's what the UK box says). Both she and Baby Sundance feel a bit different compared to other ponies from the time. It's like there is more space between the hair plugs than you normally see on a HK or a later China pony.

I think these two may be special cases (maybe Hasbro doing some testing). Otherwise all regular ponies seem to have been made in Hong Kong at this time (other kinds of ponies/creatures like flutters and pony friends were made in China). I believe it was around 1988 all production started to move to China, and many ponies from this time can be found marked either China or Hong Kong. By 1990 onwards all ponies should be China only.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
I see the name sundance, I mentally bang my head against the wall :)

As Lilja says, there's already a lot of conjecture about the NC sundance we had here, and whether she might be Chinese. This seems to feed in with her being used as parts in SunPearl at a later date too.

If her baby is also made in China I wonder if it has something to do with the dolls. I can't get to Megan to check her at the moment, though...I just wonder if they were made at the same factory and that's the reasoning.

Aren't Princess Ponies from 1987 also often China? Or did I hallucinate that memory?

There are a lot of HK/China versions of ponies around the years Lilja mentioned, and some that continue long beyond that (for example, Starlight babies can be NC, HK or China). But Baby Sundance is a bit early...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 12:02:19 PM »
Aren't Princess Ponies from 1987 also often China? Or did I hallucinate that memory?

Yeah, that's true. And the first set of TAF ponies also have China versions. Might have something to do with these ponies' later release in some European countries.

It's interesting to consider if the accompanying dolls had something to do with it. Perhaps it was more cost effective to manufacture dolls and dolls' clothes in China. The Megan and Pony Wear cards also say "made in China", despite most other Pony Wear parts still being made in Hong Kong. Hasbro's Jem dolls also switched production from Hong Kong to China (which was in 1986/1987). And the Pony Friends set was intended to include dolls at one point. Maybe it was just more convenient to have Sundance and Baby Sundance manufactured in China as well, so they could be assembled and packaged in the same country. It could simultaneously have been a way for Hasbro to test out having ponies made in China, if they were considering moving the entire production there eventually.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
I feel we are close to an answer some how :O

Lilja I have never thought of comparing NC and Baby Sundance :wow:

They are indeed all China :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:30 AM »

So they're all made in China? I did a search on eBay and found a few princesses that the sellers claimed were marked Hong Kong. But looking closer at the ones that have photos from below it does indeed look like it actually says China. I guess that would make some sense, since the princesses are also a bit special with their multiple parts inset symbols. All that extra manufacturing might've been cheapier/easier to do in China.

I wonder if the Starlight Babies (and possibly their US equivalent set) were the last ponies to have Hong Kong versions?

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »

So they're all made in China? I did a search on eBay and found a few princesses that the sellers claimed were marked Hong Kong. But looking closer at the ones that have photos from below it does indeed look like it actually says China. I guess that would make some sense, since the princesses are also a bit special with their multiple parts inset symbols. All that extra manufacturing might've been cheapier/easier to do in China.

I wonder if the Starlight Babies (and possibly their US equivalent set) were the last ponies to have Hong Kong versions?

They are all made in China; first set and second set, German excusive, PAT  PEND and no PAT PEND and all the funky variants. The only Princesses not made in China are the Mexican variants :) ;)

I am by no means an expert on regular ponies :blush: Nirvana is more my area of speciality. I do know that after 1986 until about 1989, you get a whole mix of hoof marks, China, Hong Kong, Thailand and all PAT PEND vs. no PAT PEND.

It would seem the Starlight Babies were the last ponies to get a HK run, but you can also find them marked as NC as well.

Love pkw xxx

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
If we really want to talk about what Hasbro did with Jem - and believe me, we probably don't, but in terms of the timeline - they were sold between 1985 and 1987-8ish, nominally.

There are versions made in HK and then China. In the US release I think there may be dolls from the first year stamped HK and ones stamped China, and all the second year dolls are China. But there are also ballwrists which have no country of manufacture on their back, smaller body sizes and darker make up. They're very common in Europe and are sometimes mistaken for the end of line superstar dolls, although they're not. I think they are also made in HK according to the boxes, but they don't have a country stamp on the actual toy. I would have to doublecheck that though.

And there are also Mexican and Spanish Jem dolls from around the same time, the former of which was dominant in the UK for some unknown reason. I think bringing Jem's manufacture into it might muddy the situation, except that it's interesting there was a Spanish factory involved in producing first wave Jem dolls in  around 1986. The year of doom in MLP terms.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal