collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Child Crimes Against Ponies!  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
Child Crimes Against Ponies!
« on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:42 AM »
Ah, children. Innocent? Or dangerous criminals? I think we’ve all had at least one instance of not treating our toys the way Toy Story intended— what’s the worst damage you’ve seen a kid, well-meaning or not, do to a pony?

I have two examples— one well-meaning, one...not. I was born in ‘97, but when I was 9 I discovered G1 and the world of vintage toy collecting. As such, I was ecstatic to discover that a friend of mine had a G1 pony (who I later found was Mommy Sweet Celebrations) that she didn’t really want, and she let me keep it. I’d been gazing at old fan sites and cleaning tips for ages, and now that I finally had a pony in my hands to keep... that I immediately took a sharpie and scrawled “PROPERTY OF [name and initial]” across her belly on the non-display side. I still have her, and though the marker is gone, the message is emblazoned on her side in pink stains.

I’ll have to post the second story a little later— it’s a bit grisly 😵 but what tales of misfortune do you have?
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Child Crimes Against Ponies!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:34:51 AM »
As a small child I was a unicorn horn nibbler >.>
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »
The worst thing I personally committed as a child was to take a pink highlighter to Posey and Lickety Split's faded hair to get it pink again. It worked, but promptly faded again, thus not doing any lasting damage. Unless you count my putting my initials, super tiny, on the bottom of a few of my ponies' hooves in pink pen. The ink faded and spread out over the years, until it looks like a little neon pink blob similar to a regrind stain.

My son, on the other hand, committed a worse crime to some of his ponies: chopped their forelocks off. One of them was my baity-but-beloved childhood Baby Surprise. I'm not too happy with him. I always wondered what possessed kids to cut forelocks, and then my kid goes and does it. When questioned, he shuts down and says, 'I don't want to talk about that', and won't look at me.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
Playing in the water. I loved seeing the rainbow colors swish and swirl in the bath tub and swimming pool. Upon opening Windy one day, water and brown stuff came out and my grandparents tossed her. I didn't play with them in the water anymore.  Except for Baby Wave Catcher.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
Ah yeah...water. The above-mentioned Baby Surprise went everywhere with me for a while, including the bath, the lake, and the swimming pool when we were on vacation. Miraculously, her head is still sealed, so I have no idea what is lurking inside. I suppose I shouldn't have let my kid have her; she's probably a borderline biohazard. Guess I'll find out someday when I get around to rehairing that forelock  :cry:

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
I was always really careful with my toys and never did anything intentionally to damage them.  That being said a few of my ponies suffered damage through normal play.

In my childhood ponies I had adult Wavedancer and a few baby sea ponies. All of them ended getting moldy on the inside and my mom threw them away when she saw the mold.  The only baby sea pony that survived was Baby Celebrate because my mom wouldn't let me play with her in water.

My grandma bought me Twinkler one day and she came with free pony lipstick.  Of course I used the lipstick on Twinkler and it wasn't until I was an adult that I read that the pony makeup was supposed to be washed off after playing with it. Twinkler still has lipstick stains around her mouth.

Ponyfan 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Queen Sophie

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:53:36 AM »
I was a child so I didn’t have the responsibility to take care of toys but I wish I would have known I would have collected them in the future! My mother says she mostly threw them out cause they got gross and they were the g3 castle (I forget what it’s called it had a sun that’s pouring out water and you use the pony’s magnet) and my favorite childhood toy the inflatable air balloon!
I think I had a few more ponies I know I had Sunny Daze (and a Christmas ordainment of her) I’m very sad I could not rescue them! I always keep looking in my childhood toys in the large bins trying to convince myself that they are still some there!
The only ones that were in the bins that I rescued were Cinnamon Breeze and Cloud Climber

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
Ho boy. I've opened enough rusty ponies to be familiar with this...

I thought I read someplace where somebody said they peed on one of their ponies as a kid but I can't recall where I may have seen that! I think that's one of the strangest. I myself didn't really "play" with toys as a kid unless the only friend who did that was around so I can't give my own examples.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 03:17:12 PM »
Ho boy. I've opened enough rusty ponies to be familiar with this...

I thought I read someplace where somebody said they peed on one of their ponies as a kid but I can't recall where I may have seen that! I think that's one of the strangest. I myself didn't really "play" with toys as a kid unless the only friend who did that was around so I can't give my own examples.

:shocked: That's nasty. Why would they do that?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »
Ew.

I'm off work now, so I'll tell my second story. Baby Tiddlywinks was one of my favorite ponies in my collection at age 10-- I do love her sculpt, she's so cute! But I had a habit of leaving her in harm's way. One time I brought her to Chuck E Cheese, thinking I could show her to the prize counter and ask if they had anything like it. Yes, it was the mid to late 2000s, and I was trying to see if they still had the Chuck E Cheese pony in stock. From the late 1980s. Regardless of whether this plan would have worked, I left her at a game somewhere and she got yoinked.

Thankfully, given that the pony wasn't exactly rare, I was able to score another on eBay with some allowance money. I didn't try to take her places, but the only thing more dangerous than a sticky-fingered child at a family entertainment center... is a middle school boy with friends over.

My brother and his friends were going through their "rebellious but not against anything cool" times, as we all did at age 12. They lit fire to some low-value pokemon cards, dunked his Tweety Bird beanie plush in the toilet, all the works. But I guess I left Tiddlywinks out at some point, because when I saw her next, it was... not good. A particularly funny friend sawed through her neck with scissors. Not ripping the head off, but destroying the whole assembly. I tried hot glue, but as you can imagine, it didn't do much. The neck-ring-peg-thing was sealed tight against the body to the point that I didn't even notice it was there-- I seriously believed that this baby pony's head had been attached differently. I was furious.

For some reason, my mom told this friend that he had to make a written apology in the form of a story. He wrote an absurd, gross-out piece of fiction about a pony named Buzz who went on a rampage of revenge. This would have been more fuel to the fire, but I actually found the story genuinely funny, and we made amends.

Until my older brother mistook Baby Cuddles for the pony whose head had already been chopped off and decided to rip HER head off too, since he thought it could be easily fixed. Jerk.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 03:42:10 PM »
I was generally careful with my ponies in the broad sense - IE, I didn't scribble on them, cut their hair, or otherwise mutilate them. However I was a kid, and I also had a kid sister. So some highlights I remember...

Naynie wrote her name on the hooves of one of my ponies, thinking it was hers. It wasn't. >.>

I taught Masquerade to fly on the school playground , aged around 5 or 6. Flying meant enthusiastically throwing across tarmac. Her eyes survived fairly well but are a bit scuffed as a result.

Pony nail polish in Star Gleamer's package means that a lot of my childhood ponies have polish flecks on their hooves. (Although I once got one from a carboot sale which had it all over the wings O.o)

Sand Digger and Mainsail abseiled out of my bedroom window to colour change their hair - but they didn't take damage from that.

Sunshower had to be treated for mould. But she was cured.

Star Gleamer and Songster had an irreconcileable difference of opinion when Songster's tail got caught in Star Gleamer's. The one and only time scissors have ever been taken to any of my ponies - though Mum did it so neatly that you actually can't tell.

And the favourite till last, from my sister, who, aged about three, borrowed some of my ponies to take to a friend's house (with permission). Where she promptly and accidentally (she's a bit clumsy) dropped Yoyo down the toilet. FOrtunately, it was a clean toilet, and even more fortunately, her Japanese friend's mum was a neat freak - but Yoyo did have to be disinfected when she was rescued and brought home.

On the less amusing front - two of my childhood mountain boys have hoof cracks, possibly from being trodden on in a school changing room when they were inside my bag. And more grim still, my Wild Flower lost her earring. I don't know how. But the earring was broken off when I came to take her out of my bag. The flower part of the earring was missing, which made me think someone either took her to play with her without permission and broke it somewhere away from where she should have been, or they broke it off on purpose out of spite. I was pretty upset. Her earring was never found.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 03:47:02 PM »

I taught Masquerade to fly on the school playground , aged around 5 or 6. Flying meant enthusiastically throwing across tarmac. Her eyes survived fairly well but are a bit scuffed as a result.

Sand Digger and Mainsail abseiled out of my bedroom window to colour change their hair - but they didn't take damage from that.

And the favourite till last, from my sister, who, aged about three, borrowed some of my ponies to take to a friend's house (with permission). Where she promptly and accidentally (she's a bit clumsy) dropped Yoyo down the toilet. FOrtunately, it was a clean toilet, and even more fortunately, her Japanese friend's mum was a neat freak - but Yoyo did have to be disinfected when she was rescued and brought home.

The image of these first two are cracking me up. Anyone remember that "let's fly to the castle" youtube video? Truly elegant. And oof, thank goodness for diligent moms!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 04:16:19 PM »
As a small child I was a unicorn horn nibbler >.>

yes all my early ponies have nibbled ears, horns and hooves.  LOL

years later I suggested to my best friend, while trapped in the backseat on a road trip, that the ponies caught pony pox!  so we drew dots all over them in pen!  D:

and Starshine's hair got chopped off by my neighbor's awful brother before I could snatch the scissors away from him >.< 

other than that, most of them have been through more mud, bathtubs, and childhood than I could ever remember.  I wrote their names on their hooves too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:19:30 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 04:16:36 PM »
I wasn't a child, I was a grown up who committed pony crime!  As a kid in the 80's, I was familiar with the early ponies up until so-softs and twinkle-eyed, magic message and sweet berry ponies.  I was unaware of the weird sets that followed.
In the late 90's/early 2000's, when I started collecting, I found a Dainty Delilah.  I thought some kid had ruined her hair, that they did something to the hair to make it poofy.  I cut it off! 
Later, I would find a Bouquet.  I thought this mane is stupidly long!  Why would anyone make a mane this long?  I cut it!
I've learned my lesson, though I think having alternate rehairs of the Puffs with normal hair would be nice.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
TBH, the first time you see a perfume puff in person, if you never saw them as a kid, it is confusing.

I remember Naynie bringing Dainty Dahlia home from the carboot sale one weekend and we kind of sat and just stared at her trying to work out what had happened to her hair.

If it had been any of the others in the set I might have recognised her, but Dahlia kind of just blended into the background to the point I forgot her existence completely.

Had a similar reaction the first time I saw a so soft pony. Very odd things. Lovely. But odd.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal