collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about fade-prone hair colors!  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Question about fade-prone hair colors!
« on: April 08, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
Hi peeps! I'm still around, just not very active in the toy-collecting community these days.

Anyways, I'm taking the last of my ponies out of storage, and I'd like to know: what hair colors are prone to fading? I know light pink is one, but I wonder if there are others I should be concerned about.

Secondly, can these colors be faded by indirect sunlight? Most of my ponies are stored on an open bookshelf right behind my bedroom door. As such, they're usually in semi-darkness. Is it still safe to store fade-prone ponies there, or do they need to be banished to my closet?  :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to read. Hope life is treating everyone well.  :good:
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Question about fade-prone hair colors!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 02:07:52 PM »
The pink hair is what you need to worry about. I don't think other colors fade like that one does. Your ponies sound safe where they are :) Indirect sunlight is okay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:03:03 PM »
I've had a few with Atomic Blue hair (Firefly's color) that I swear have faded, but I've never heard anyone else say this, so maybe it's just my eyes seeing the color differently, who knows.

I know you didn't say anything about fluorescent lighting in your storage situation, but I'll take the opportunity to throw out the warning that fluorescent lighting can fade fading pink hair and playsets. Growing up in the 80's, I had a basement bedroom with no window (guess it was legal to stash a kid in a windowless room without egress then?!), as well as a basement playroom/rec room area where my pony stuff lived, never seeing daylight of any kind. Our pink-haired ponies faded to pure white within weeks of owning them, and our playsets yellowed big-time.

Now, perhaps the standards for fluorescent bulbs have changed in the past 35 years with all the environmental upgrades everything has gone through in recent years, and it's possible it's no longer the problem it was in the 80's...but I just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who keeps things in a basement lit by those industrial-type fluorescent bulbs.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:53:09 PM »
Seashell's green can fade to blue and Gypsy's orange can also bleach out but only with serious sun intervention. I've seen it with neon yellow too.

Fading pink...I think that indirect sun can do it. I'm not sure how well my SS ponies have fared in the cabinet, although they are out of the sun. But some are more pale to begin with than others and I think that's a factor.

The ones that live in my cupboard are fine. Interestingly my Sunblossom lives in my wardrobe, which faces the window from the other side of the room. The doors are normally open, but she hasn't faded at all. I think she might have the non-fading version of the fading pink hair...but I'm not certain. It's the same colour, it's just not faded at all from living there for years.

So it may be a pony by pony issue as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:53:32 AM »
I'm so paranoid about my fading pink haired ponies. XD It's a shame because I'd like to display them in rooms that get sun.

Fading pink was the only issue with hair as far as I know, but I've been wondering the same thing about body colors and discoloring. Like that light pastel blue color that can turn gray.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:38:14 PM »
I think any fluorescent color (like on Surprise, Sugarberry, or Barnacle) is going to be more prone to fading just because fluorescent pigments and dyes aren't very lightfast. Fading pink seems fluorescent to me so that might be why it bleaches so easily.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »
I think any fluorescent color (like on Surprise, Sugarberry, or Barnacle) is going to be more prone to fading just because fluorescent pigments and dyes aren't very lightfast. Fading pink seems fluorescent to me so that might be why it bleaches so easily.

You just reminded me, I had an instance where the blue streak on a Glory faded, but not the purple! I'd almost forgotten.

(Love your Peridot pic)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 11:24:11 PM »
Bowtie's non-fluoresent matte pink fades as well. Or there were different shades being produced on ponies. A lot of mine do not match with each other.

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 04:01:17 AM »
All of my Fading Pinks are stored in complete darkness in a box, I'm not taking any risks.  :lol: (Coco Berry is isolated from them in a drawer though, because of her scent)
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal