collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which MLP version do you think has the best animation style?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Which MLP version do you think has the best animation style?
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
My Little Pony has been on my mind A LOT lately! Specifically the animated versions of MLP! So I wanted to ask a question here... which adaptation do you think had the prettiest animation?

I'll start first... as a kid I loved the animation in the 1986 MLP the movie. I know many people dislike it but I think that it looks lovely! The lush green forests and the small woodland animals made me think of Disney movies like Snow White and Bambi. The ponies in the movie also looked very cute .. the only thing I disliked was that their eyes didn't have any "whites" in them... with the only exception being the twinkle-eyed ponies.

When I grew older I found out about the first ever Special or pilot "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and I thought that this was the prettiest MLP ever looked! The ponies look very horsey but they also have some appropriate anthropomorphic expressions to them! I also liked that the color palette was a bit more muted and not overly saturated....

So yeah I think "Midnight Castle" is my favorite animation style... followed by the 1986 movie.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Which MLP version do you think has the best animation style?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
G1, which includes the Specials, Movie , and all of N' Friends + Tales.

G3 is cute, but something is just a little off and took me some getting used to.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:44:11 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
G1 is my favorite animation style. A lot of the commercials have animation too and I just love it. One of the things I love about the ads is even though some of the animation styles are different from ad to ad it's all coherent enough that you can tell it's all MLP.

G3 is okay but not as pleasing to me as G1.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
RAMC had awesome animation, including the best hair animation I've seen. (not how it moved, but how it was styled)

Everything after that had the Ponies' hair look like thick noodles or something... Megan's too
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »
RAMC hands-down for any hand-drawn animation. The ponies weren't weirdly lumpy, the hair was beautiful, and was more cinematic than the n' Friends edition.
I think the G5 movie will have lovely CGI-it looks well-animated! I prefer it's snap to the sometimes slow G4 movie.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:16:34 PM »
To me RaMC is absolutely the best animation MLP has ever had, it is literally how every piece of pony animation should look. The rest of G1 is far below it but it actually isn't bad, it may have its problems like low FPS rate or animation errors, but those were things outside of the animators' control considering the resources and conditions they had to work with (like with many animated shows of the time), and overall you can see at least they put their effort in it when you look at the character designs, background art, or even some of the animation cycles. G3 (save for G3.5) overall seems to have higher production values than G1, but to me it kind of feels too sugary (which of course doesn't make it bad) and the character designs start looking a little less horse-like for the first time. On the other hand, I can't stand the G4 animation, although I realize that plenty of people will probably disagree.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »
I’ll thrown in another vote for RAMC being the best all around! Escape from Katrina was good too, even if a bit simpler. I wish they would have kept that art style all throughout G1! Mlp n friends is probably the worst art style and animation for me.

I also have a major soft spot for G3 since that’s more so what I grew up with. I like the super bright colors, the detailed backgrounds, and the art style. I think G3 was the closest the animation ever looked to the toys. I also adore all the detail drawn in the hair in the earlier specials like A charming Birthday and Dancing in the clouds!

G4 has arguably the most polished and fluid animation, but I don’t like the art style quite as much as earlier gens. The first season still has a lot of charm where the facial expressions weren’t quite as exaggerated and the story lines weren’t so over the top. I generally prefer my ponies to be simple lol! Now that I think about it, the G4 movie actually had a really nice art style and animation quality! That might be one of my favorite looks for pony along with RAMC

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:45:18 PM »
To be honest Friendship is Magic has the best looking animation in my opinion as much as I also love G1 and G3 when I'm being perfectly truthful to myself, I like G4 animation the best.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
RAMC is the easy answer, but also early G3. I love the art for Charming Birthday and Dancing in the Clouds. The thin lines, the hair, the colours... chef's kiss. The art style for Minty Christmas onward is... fine. Not as good, but fine.

Not a cartoon, but the animation in the G2 computer game is fantastic. :)

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:29:13 AM »
Maybe a cheat answer, but I feel it's already fair to say that the G5 movie has the best animation  ;)

Signature by LordBlumiere

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
RaMC, hands down! Catrina also looks gorgeous.

Honestly I'm not a fan of (what I've seen of) G4, something about the walk cycles just bugs me. Felt the same way about Lion Guard though, so I think it's less a FiM-specific thing and more of a Flash animation thing.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »
I love the RAMC animation and FiM.  :)

Offline Star Catcher

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »
If i had to pick i would say the G4 movie animation.
I really liked how the ponies were styled in that one and it was so nice to watch some good 2D animation on the big screen again.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 03:51:49 PM »
RaMC is my favorite.  I was watching it just last night and wishing I could draw that style.

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »

I think RAMC is the best animated pony design. Balances horsiness and cuteness quite nicely. 

The later G1 stuff is a little too lumpy, and the ponies go off-model quite often, resulting in some weird looking shots:

And the designs of the non-ponies, especially many of the villains are too silly and cartoony when compared to the ones in the specials.

I really like the look of the Tales ponies. Similar to the '86 ponies, but a little cuter and more expressive.

G3's fine, but doesn't really capture the elegance of the toys in my opinion. They tend to look especially weird from the front, but the same can be said for any MLP gen, really. The backgrounds are also gorgeous. I like how flowy the hair is in the early movies as well.

Regular G3.5 is already pretty ugly, but when it comes to the Newborn Cuties, it's like they didn't even try at all.

G4 has the most polished and fluid animation, and I find the style really cute and pleasant to look at, even if they don't really look like ponies.

Pony Life is...not great, so simplistic it's hard to tell what's going on.

G5's very detailed and expressive, and I like the bodies and hooves but I find the faces of the ponies a little uncanny. Also 3D just doesn't appeal to me as much as 2D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal