collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which MLP version do you think has the best animation style?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Which MLP version do you think has the best animation style?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
I think it's kind of disingenuous to compare the format/style/polished nature of animation spanning a time period of 30 or so years. If G4 doesn't have the most polished animation, given the advances in tech since the 1980s, then it's failed in its objective.

I feel like to answer this properly means to strip the technical side of G4's animation style out of the equation and just talk about the art design..? I mean, G1 animation has a lot of bloopers, but that's also something common to most other eighties shows.

I don't know if I'm explaining it right but the "G4 animation is best because it's more modern" angle sounds like something the other side of ponyland would come up with.

I honestly am not surprised to see people say RaMC. Weirdly for me as a kid it took some getting used to. I actually, possibly like Catrina better, but I can't tell you specifically why that is. But with time I have got to like the RaMC animation style as well. I grew up with only 4 eps and they were all from MLP&Friends so that was what I was used to. I think that's a factor in how I think of these.

I am not sure about the style of Tales animation, although I love Tales possibly most of the G1 animations. I think my love of it came from the fact it wasn't full of what as a child I thought were 'mistakes' (ponies not sold here/featured under different names) or the fact I first saw it at 13 when I was just about turning teenage. It's not the prettiest animation but I guess I have fondness for it.

Some G3 animation is quite beautiful, some of it is a bit odd.

Gonna step away from the shows for a bit, though, because my favourite animation is probably animation that appears in commercials. Or that rainbow snippet we haven't quite identified yet. In terms of commercials, even G2 can be included in the discussion. I remember the G2 commercials when they were on TV, so I suppose I have a kind of fondness for them (and the 'animation?' in the game I guess).

I don't really care for FIM. The animation style is ok, but it feels like it's trying to be...something. I don't know what, but it's especially how they animate Pinkie when she's having one of her silly moments. Like it's trying really hard to be cool and funny and...eh, it's not my thing.

The summary - I am not huge on the animation, that used in some of the commercials is interesting and different, and probably like Catrina's animation more than RaMC if you have to push me. And let's not leave G2 out - it didn't have a series, but it did have animation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
G1, but only Midnight Castle and Catrina.

Then G4 (later seasons, moving down to the earlier ones), then the rest of G1, then G3, then 3.5. I love them all, but yeah. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MOTOSTOKES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »
Tales and the G4 2017 movie/Rainbow Roadtrip have my favorite animation styles, plus theyre both super fluid

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
I adore Midnight Castle and Catrina and consider those best.  Midnight Castle was my introduction to My Little Pony so that's the style I imagine ponies in.

I loved the Wedding Episode of G4.  But I don't know if it was the actual animation or the music and story that got me.  I really don't feel they look like My Little Pony, more like caricatures. Still very cute, but not what My Little Pony looks like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal