collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4.5 Section on Strawberry Reef - what am I missing?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline StrawberryReef

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberryreef.com
New G4.5 Section on Strawberry Reef - what am I missing?
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

After a very long break due to medical and family issues, I am slowly getting back to updating www.strawberryreef.com.  I *think* I have completed the following in the G4.5 section. Please let me know what I'm missing or if you see anything that needs to be corrected. Also if you know of any variations not listed or if any ponies are identical between releases, please let me know. Also if any are store or country exclusive please let me know.

Blind Bag - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_mini.html
Regular - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_regular.html
Poseable - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_poseable.html
Fashion Style - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_large.html
Huge - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_huge.html
Special Features - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_special.html
Prize - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_prize.html
Equestria Girls - https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G4.5/BodyType/G4.5_EG.html

Thanks so much for your help!
SR

P.S.  I do plan to update the G4 section as well.  Just starting small... :)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New G4.5 Section on Strawberry Reef - what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:04:03 PM »
Glad to see you active again, hope you are well!  I can't comment on G4.5 really, I didn't collect them at all - but I want to let you know I use your site all the time, mainly for the G3 section.  So your hard work is definitely appreciated  :biggrin:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:43:28 AM »
Same here, I love the G3 section of your website especially. It's really lovely that you're able to give some more time to pony stuff at the moment, I'm sure everyone will love it! Welcome back :good:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 05:47:45 AM »
calling Taffeta.... she had compiled a list of incorrect info on the site and was hoping someone would come back and fix it :) 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:38:37 AM »
calling Taffeta.... she had compiled a list of incorrect info on the site and was hoping someone would come back and fix it :) 

>.>

<.<

People know me too well.

There are a bunch of G1 twitches that I'd love to see fixed on SR, but nobody can do everything at once. If at some point you're interested in getting the G1 international data straightened out and fixed, I'll happily help you do it - because a lot of people use Strawberry Reef, and it's been really demoralising seeing some false information being reinforced.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:19:45 AM »
Cool to see the site getting updated again!
The ponies between waves 1 and 2 of the brushables have differences in quality and can have their differences discerned. Wave 2 brushables have less hair plugs, slightly different hair quality, and some other printing downgrades.
If you've been using MLPMerch to find out the releases, you should be pretty up to date, but I'm curious where the Cutie Mark Crew will go!
Do you put written information about discerning differences between releases? If you do, for the brushable/regular releases, the Unicorn Sparkle and Pony Friends collection be told apart. Unicorn Sparkle should have glitter on the horn, but if it doesn't, the Pony Friends collections have less variation on the Cutie Mark. For example, Rarity doesn't have the lines defining the facets on her gems. The Potion Dress-Up ponies have tinsel in their hair.
I think you have stock photos of the poseable ponies which are actually renders- are you ok with that? I can provide some toy pictures if you need them instead taken in a lightbox, as well as pictures of 3 of the Smashin' Fashions with no accessories. Also, there are two versions of the Twilight Smashin' Fashion, but the variation is in accessories and not the pony itself.
Can't speak on the EQG. This looks nice and comprehensive!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StrawberryReef

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
Glad to see you active again, hope you are well!  I can't comment on G4.5 really, I didn't collect them at all - but I want to let you know I use your site all the time, mainly for the G3 section.  So your hard work is definitely appreciated  :biggrin:
Same here, I love the G3 section of your website especially. It's really lovely that you're able to give some more time to pony stuff at the moment, I'm sure everyone will love it! Welcome back :good:

Thank you so much SunPony and Artemesia!  I'm glad the site continues to be helpful :)

>.>

<.<

People know me too well.

There are a bunch of G1 twitches that I'd love to see fixed on SR, but nobody can do everything at once. If at some point you're interested in getting the G1 international data straightened out and fixed, I'll happily help you do it - because a lot of people use Strawberry Reef, and it's been really demoralising seeing some false information being reinforced.

Oh my gosh!  Yes, Please let me know asap.  You can email me at [email protected]. I would prefer to fix errors before adding new content.  I didn't start researching until 2006 so most of my G1 info came from what other sites or what people have reported, and I have zero personal knowledge of any international ponies.  I would love any info!  I apologize if you tried to contact me in the past about this... I kinda fell off the map.  Thank you.

Post Merge: April 07, 2021, 11:31:08 AM

Cool to see the site getting updated again!
The ponies between waves 1 and 2 of the brushables have differences in quality and can have their differences discerned. Wave 2 brushables have less hair plugs, slightly different hair quality, and some other printing downgrades.
If you've been using MLPMerch to find out the releases, you should be pretty up to date, but I'm curious where the Cutie Mark Crew will go!
Do you put written information about discerning differences between releases? If you do, for the brushable/regular releases, the Unicorn Sparkle and Pony Friends collection be told apart. Unicorn Sparkle should have glitter on the horn, but if it doesn't, the Pony Friends collections have less variation on the Cutie Mark. For example, Rarity doesn't have the lines defining the facets on her gems. The Potion Dress-Up ponies have tinsel in their hair.
I think you have stock photos of the poseable ponies which are actually renders- are you ok with that? I can provide some toy pictures if you need them instead taken in a lightbox, as well as pictures of 3 of the Smashin' Fashions with no accessories. Also, there are two versions of the Twilight Smashin' Fashion, but the variation is in accessories and not the pony itself.
Can't speak on the EQG. This looks nice and comprehensive!

Thank you for this great info.  If you happen to have pictures side by side of the Wave differences would be ideal..  I know the Trixie waves have different eye and hair colors too.

I do specify the differences between releases but usually just one major difference to tell them apart.  So if one has a glitter horn and the other doesn't, I would specify that.  If the only difference is cutie mark variants, I would specify that, etc... again, any pictures showing side by side comparisons of variations would be amazing.

I would love to non-stock pictures of the smashin ponies as well if you are able to do a white background would be ideal.  If you could show them standing and on all fours would be great and without their clothes is preferred.  I won't be doing accessory variations at this time but will keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks again for your help!  Please email any pics to [email protected] and let me know how you would like to be credited ie username and link to any personal page.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
Wow, it's great to see you back again! I love Strawberry Reef, use it a lot for G3 stuff ^^

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 12:29:23 PM »
I'll try and look it over soon and send you a proper list of stuff by email - the one that sticks in my mind is that white Tootsie was never sold in the UK, but I remember there are others.

The problem is that DV started the trend of badly presented international information, and since then sites have just recycled through the same mistakes without checking them back to the source material. There was a misplaced trust in DV to be correct that has had long term consequences in some cases - DV often overrode information from international pony collectors for reasons known only to them.

Although international is a disingenuous term - there's no such thing as a US pony, and international covers multiple different releases, including Nirvana - if we can at least get it so that the site assigns ponies to their correct set and year, then that would make such a difference.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StrawberryReef

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 02:11:42 PM »
I'll try and look it over soon and send you a proper list of stuff by email - the one that sticks in my mind is that white Tootsie was never sold in the UK, but I remember there are others.

The problem is that DV started the trend of badly presented international information, and since then sites have just recycled through the same mistakes without checking them back to the source material. There was a misplaced trust in DV to be correct that has had long term consequences in some cases - DV often overrode information from international pony collectors for reasons known only to them.

Although international is a disingenuous term - there's no such thing as a US pony, and international covers multiple different releases, including Nirvana - if we can at least get it so that the site assigns ponies to their correct set and year, then that would make such a difference.

I am anxious to learn any info you have and if there is a better way to distinguish between countries or releases, I am all ears.  My goal is to make this helpful to collectors so whatever makes the most sense.  Also, do you know why most sites refer to releases by "year 1" instead of "1982".  Is there an easier way?  How would you recommend I list the ponies that belong to specific countries vs non-US release, etc...?

Thanks again :)

Post Merge: April 07, 2021, 02:12:22 PM

Wow, it's great to see you back again! I love Strawberry Reef, use it a lot for G3 stuff ^^

Thank you :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 02:20:25 PM »
To be honest, I've been trying to reworkn my own site behind the scenes to make it more logical for everyone, with more attention to the different release dates and formats between places. I think the big issue is something like this.

Imagine as a kid in Europe you have the walking pose Twisty Tail and Pretty Vision in your childhood collection.

You want to ID them both. You bought them together.

But in order to find them, right now you have to know to go to the US section for Pretty Vision and the UK variant section for walking pose Twisty Tail.

Imagine that happening 20 times over and over as you go through your collection.

I get a lot of emails about ID from people in the UK who are confused. The thing is people on the Arena mostly have just learned to deal with the inconvenience of a US-centric system and know where to look for things, but if you don't know where to look, it's a bit of a problem to figure out.

The original pony sites were written for a US audience because that was the community. It's not the community any more, just a portion of it. Yet we're still dealing with the US-centric system rather than a more global system to make ID easy for everyone.

I've done a rudimentary list based on the pages you have up at the moment. I feel like warning you that to really go through and do the country releases, you're probably jumping down a rabbit hole you may never get out of. BUT I do think there are some fixes you can tackle easily on the existing site.

The problem is that most of the mainstream sites are built from other sites, rather than original research. And that's how mistakes perpetuate. It's hard to do an ID site from raw source material now, because a lot doesn't survive or is already in other collectors' hands. I think that's one reason people haven't attempted it, or have stuck to the US release as it's more effectively documented. But the reality is that there are no US exclusive ponies, and the various other country releases are more complex and don't fit into the US year timeline. When sites try and fit them into that timeline, you get messes like the timeline on the Wiki, which has frankly no idea when some ponies were sold or what set they belonged to.

Again, not helpful for people outside the US trying to ID their collections.

So yeah.

I'll email you the list anyway. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »
Strawb it's so good to see you!!! I love the G3 part of your site & use it regularly. I'm glad you're willing to sort things out with other areas as well xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »
so excited to have you back <3
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline StrawberryReef

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »
To be honest, I've been trying to reworkn my own site behind the scenes to make it more logical for everyone, with more attention to the different release dates and formats between places. I think the big issue is something like this.

Imagine as a kid in Europe you have the walking pose Twisty Tail and Pretty Vision in your childhood collection.

You want to ID them both. You bought them together.

But in order to find them, right now you have to know to go to the US section for Pretty Vision and the UK variant section for walking pose Twisty Tail.

Imagine that happening 20 times over and over as you go through your collection.

I get a lot of emails about ID from people in the UK who are confused. The thing is people on the Arena mostly have just learned to deal with the inconvenience of a US-centric system and know where to look for things, but if you don't know where to look, it's a bit of a problem to figure out.

The original pony sites were written for a US audience because that was the community. It's not the community any more, just a portion of it. Yet we're still dealing with the US-centric system rather than a more global system to make ID easy for everyone.

I've done a rudimentary list based on the pages you have up at the moment. I feel like warning you that to really go through and do the country releases, you're probably jumping down a rabbit hole you may never get out of. BUT I do think there are some fixes you can tackle easily on the existing site.

The problem is that most of the mainstream sites are built from other sites, rather than original research. And that's how mistakes perpetuate. It's hard to do an ID site from raw source material now, because a lot doesn't survive or is already in other collectors' hands. I think that's one reason people haven't attempted it, or have stuck to the US release as it's more effectively documented. But the reality is that there are no US exclusive ponies, and the various other country releases are more complex and don't fit into the US year timeline. When sites try and fit them into that timeline, you get messes like the timeline on the Wiki, which has frankly no idea when some ponies were sold or what set they belonged to.

Again, not helpful for people outside the US trying to ID their collections.

So yeah.

I'll email you the list anyway. :)

I'm going to make a separate G1 question regarding these concerns and hopefully we can brainstorm with others and come up with some solutions!  I got your email and will be studying it! :)  Here is the new thread... http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401141.0.html  Please give me your insight! <3

Post Merge: April 07, 2021, 06:28:46 PM

Strawb it's so good to see you!!! I love the G3 part of your site & use it regularly. I'm glad you're willing to sort things out with other areas as well xxx
so excited to have you back <3

Thank you both!  I'm so glad to be back :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal