collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone knows where that screenshot is from?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone knows where that screenshot is from?
« on: April 06, 2021, 01:49:52 AM »
Hey there y'all! I was looking at My Little Wiki and I came across that promotional picture for the vhs "Firefly's Adventure" (re-release of Rescue from Midnight Castle).
And I see there's a screenshot of what looks like to be Firefly and Megan but Megan there is pictured wearing slightly different clothing and the art style looks a bit more like the one from "Escape from Catrina"....

Do you think that was something like an early concept art or maybe something from a commercial??

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone knows where that screenshot is from?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »
The Firefly in the screenshot looks like Baby Moodancer without her horn to me.  Maybe someone recolored Baby Moondancer to look like Firefly for the promo?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:05:23 AM »
The Firefly in the screenshot looks like Baby Moodancer without her horn to me.  Maybe someone recolored Baby Moondancer to look like Firefly for the promo?

Ponyfan

I see! That makes sense... she does look a lot like Baby Moondancer... I wonder why they felt the need to edit a screenshot from "Catrina" instead of using screenshots from the original pilot haha... it seems like they went through the trouble for nothing hahaha.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 05:00:43 AM »
Looks like they referenced this shot when drawing it:

I assume the picture was put together to promote this particular release of the pony/video. I don't think they'd be able to have that kind of blush on Firefly if it was an animation cel. As for why they did it, maybe they preferred to show this design of Megan since it looks more like the doll than what she looked like in RaMC. Or that the art style of Escape from Catrina in general matches better with the one Hasbro was using at the time.

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 05:45:47 AM »

I assume the picture was put together to promote this particular release of the pony/video. I don't think they'd be able to have that kind of blush on Firefly if it was an animation cel. As for why they did it, maybe they preferred to show this design of Megan since it looks more like the doll than what she looked like in RaMC. Or that the art style of Escape from Catrina in general matches better with the one Hasbro was using at the time.

Thank you for answering! That sounds very possible! I think the actual Megan doll was released after the 'Midnight Castle' special and she looked very different than her first animated design....

But still that's kind of a false advertising there haha.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:55 AM »

I was also thinking about that same scene.   Maybe Hasbro just put random drawings and screenshots together for the ad?  The screenshot with Megan and Baby Moondancer in the ad is also from Catrina. 

Ponyfan

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:09 AM »
That's so cute! Even if it is a bit jarring seeing Firefly with someone elses hairstyle.
Isn't the picture underneath there from Catrina too?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 11:31:34 AM »
Looking closer at the other screenshots, the one with the ponies running into Dream Castle has also been altered with more ponies added in.

I think the bottom screenshot with Megan and Baby Moondancer has also been redrawn slightly, but it's less obvious.

Anyone know if these pictures were used on the backcard for this release? If it was only in a dealer catalog (not intended for the general public) it probably didn't matter too much that the screenshots didn't match 100% with what was on the video.

Possibly someone working on this got the specials mixed up, or didn't release they were two separate specials and that the stories weren't connected.

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
Looking closer at the other screenshots, the one with the ponies running into Dream Castle has also been altered with more ponies added in.

I think the bottom screenshot with Megan and Baby Moondancer has also been redrawn slightly, but it's less obvious.

Anyone know if these pictures were used on the backcard for this release? If it was only in a dealer catalog (not intended for the general public) it probably didn't matter too much that the screenshots didn't match 100% with what was on the video.

Possibly someone working on this got the specials mixed up, or didn't release they were two separate specials and that the stories weren't connected.

Oh wow! i didn't even realise that screenshot was redrawn/edited too! It looks like they added ponies with the color palettes of Posey, Ribbon and Lickety Split (I think)

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
I was so busy looking at the Megan and Firefly shot that I didn't notice the Dream Castle one had been been redone also.

I'd also be interested to see the original backcard for this release.  I looked on Ebay and couldn't find any MOC Firefly's Adventures.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal