collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading Mimic, do I dare?  (Read 713 times)

Offline SquarePeg

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Sunfading Mimic, do I dare?
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »
After much internal debate I’ve decided that the time is right to sell off the bulk of my collection.  Well, much internal debate plus the events of the past year!  So I’m prepping to polish up the ponies who will be hopefully be finding lovely new homes.  Due to the recent ‘Mimic phenomenon’ on eBay, my Mimic is first in line!

She’s generally in good condition, but she has some ink marks in her left ear and left side that are letting her down a bit.  I’ve read that Mimic is firmly on the ‘do not sunfade’ list, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted it and what the results were?  Any advice is both welcome and appreciated.

Here’s what we’re working with, her ear:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Not terrible, but visible when on display.

The colours look a bit weird here as I had to fiddle with my camera settings to get the marks to show up!  Her side:

The marks are very faint, and they’re covered by her hair (when it’s properly styled, which it currently isn’t):

Her display side is, thankfully, pen-free:

So, to sunfade or not to sunfade? 

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading Mimic, do I dare?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
Are  you sure that's red pen on her ear?  Sometimes red like that is discoloration that could get worse.

I personally wouldn't sun fade her.  She's really nice as is.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SquarePeg

• Arena Supporter
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
Are  you sure that's red pen on her ear?  Sometimes red like that is discoloration that could get worse.

I personally wouldn't sun fade her.  She's really nice as is.

Thanks!  That's blue (or very faded black) ink in her ear, definitely ink.  It is very faded.  She is lovely, but the perfectionist in me wants her to be her best before she goes to her next home.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »
I agree that she's very nice as is and I wouldn't personally risk sunfading! I think she'll get a high price regardless.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »
I would personally leave it; if you plan on selling, it would be best to leave it for the new owner to figure out if they want to try removing it.

If you want to keep her, I would be all game for experimentation  :lol: I behead, wash and replace the tail washer of every pony that comes into my home, even mint ones.

Offline SquarePeg

• Arena Supporter
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
Even mint ones?!  Oh my gosh I wouldn’t dare, I’m very cautious.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 01:16:23 PM »
I agree with serena-hime. If you plan to sell the pony, it's better to leave it to the new owner to decide what to do. It's too much of a risk, and restoring a pony before selling it can backfire if it goes wrong. Better sell her as she is - she looks pretty good even with the marks, and I'm sure she'll get a lot of interest.

Good luck :)

On the other subject - restorative stuff on personal collection items is also risky, since the world is unpredictable and you never know when you may need to sell something to pay a bill or, heaven forbid, someone else might be selling them for you.

Breaking the seal and tampering with the tail fixings makes it impossible to discern if something is original to the pony or has been replaced/rerooted. For me that's a deal breaker, but it's a very personal thing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:21:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 03:45:24 PM »

On the other subject - restorative stuff on personal collection items is also risky, since the world is unpredictable and you never know when you may need to sell something to pay a bill or, heaven forbid, someone else might be selling them for you.

Breaking the seal and tampering with the tail fixings makes it impossible to discern if something is original to the pony or has been replaced/rerooted. For me that's a deal breaker, but it's a very personal thing.
This is also definitely true for some buyers and collectors!

I personally am not worried about keeping the pony as original as possible- I'd prefer to enjoy the pony my way (head removed, tail washer replaced, hair washed etc,) and know they're protected against future damage, rather than keeping them completely sealed and original for the sake of retaining market value and not enjoying them as a result.

I do prefer to buy my ponies completely unaltered though, so I appreciate that most other collectors prefer not to open them up lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:48:14 PM by serena-hime »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 05:11:23 PM »
I agree with serena-hime. If you plan to sell the pony, it's better to leave it to the new owner to decide what to do. It's too much of a risk, and restoring a pony before selling it can backfire if it goes wrong. Better sell her as she is - she looks pretty good even with the marks, and I'm sure she'll get a lot of interest.

Good luck :)

In the case of personal ponies I think it depends. Ponies are not meant to be an insurance policy. They are meant to be enjoyed as long as you have them and for some people it is difficult to enjoy a pony with flaws. Sometimes it is more cost effective to restore it yourself than to sell it and buy an upgrade. People shouldn't be expected to unduly burden themselves for the greater good.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal