collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Balding Pony Mystery? Rehair Help  (Read 1965 times)

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
Balding Pony Mystery? Rehair Help
« on: April 04, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Happy Easter! :bunny:
I got a really cute basket with miniature animals, candy, and two G3 My Little Ponies I wanted. One's in near-mint condition, but unfortunately, Baby Tea Lily has A CLUMP of hair missing! I was baffled, I checked her eBay photos again and yes, the mane was seemingly full? I have no clue what happened between her listing and my purchase, the seller's feedback was 100%.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We messaged a complaint and were fully refunded in minutes. Now, I've got a free pony who needs a partial rehair, and I've never done it before. There's a pinned thread on where to buy nylon hair, but I'm wary. I'd like to hear from others which website is best from their experience. If you also know the matching pink, please link it! Baby Tea Lily's dark pink is similar to G1 Fizzy's, except slightly reddish.

:glitter: :whoa: :glitter:

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Balding Pony Mystery? Rehair Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »
Happy Easter! :bunny:
I got a really cute basket with miniature animals, candy, and two G3 My Little Ponies I wanted. One's in near-mint condition, but unfortunately, Baby Tea Lily has A CLUMP of hair missing! I was baffled, I checked her eBay photos again and yes, the mane was seemingly full? I have no clue what happened between her listing and my purchase, the seller's feedback was 100%.

We messaged a complaint and were fully refunded in minutes. Now, I've got a free pony who needs a partial rehair, and I've never done it before. There's a pinned thread on where to buy nylon hair, but I'm wary. I'd like to hear from others which website is best from their experience. If you also know the matching pink, please link it! Baby Tea Lily's dark pink is similar to G1 Fizzy's, except slightly reddish.

:glitter: :whoa: :glitter:

Oh dang. :(

Tea lily is an avon exclusive pony, there's something wrong with their hair that causes it to dry rot or crumble or something. It also affects Baby Wave Catcher,  Sunrise,  Princess Peppermint, Jazzmatazz and Peach Surprise. I'm sorry. :hug:

Tailrustedtealeaf recommended me to Shimmerlocks. The service is quality,  the hair is nice and I got my orders quickly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:14:13 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »
Yess Shimmerlocks!
Sorry to see she hair rotted on you! I don't have an exact color match for her, but you can ask Shimmerlocks through the website to find a close match for you. I have to replace JazzMatazz's and my own Tea Lily's so let me know what you get if anything!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 06:15:47 PM »
Ick her hair looks like polypropylene to me from the photo, I know some G3 ponies have it (along with G4 tails after a certain point, and 99% of G4 reboot and G4.5 manes and tails) which is notorious for rotting and falling out with age. :/

Edit: Shimmerlocks is definitely the best place to get nylon hair! Their service is incredible. Sugarberry nylon (named after the G1 pony) might be a match?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:19:01 PM by serena-hime »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »
Yeah, as others have said, this is a problem some specific G3s have. It happened to me with my Jazz Matazz and Wave Catcher. Not something the seller probably knew about.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
Ick her hair looks like polypropylene to me from the photo, I know some G3 ponies have it (along with G4 tails after a certain point, and 99% of G4 reboot and G4.5 manes and tails) which is notorious for rotting and falling out with age. :/

Edit: Shimmerlocks is definitely the best place to get nylon hair! Their service is incredible. Sugarberry nylon (named after the G1 pony) might be a match?

That's not encouraging.  So you're saying all polypropylene dry rots with age? Way to go Hasblow. :mad:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:49:33 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 07:50:58 PM »
Tea lily is an avon exclusive pony, there's something wrong with their hair that causes it to dry rot or crumble or something. It also affects Baby Wave Catcher,  Sunrise,  Princess Peppermint, Jazzmatazz and Peach Surprise. I'm sorry. :hug:

You're telling me ponies from 35-40 years ago can still have perfect hair today, while Avon-exclusive ponies, only as old as me, just rot away? That's both hilarious and very sad. Thanks for telling me, I wondered if a deterioration was happening but thought it'd be impossible!

Tailrustedtealeaf recommended me to Shimmerlocks. The service is quality,  the hair is nice and I got my orders quickly.
Yess Shimmerlocks!
Shimmerlocks is definitely the best place to get nylon hair! Their service is incredible. Sugarberry nylon (named after the G1 pony) might be a match?

Thanks for suggesting Shimmerlocks, too! The website definitely seems competent, so that'll likely be my choice. Upon inspection, there's no perfect matches but "Heart Throb" is actually closer than "Sugarberry". I'd probably update on Baby Tea Lily after rehairing in my next collection update (May 1st).

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
Now I'm just interested in this whole Avon Exclusive thing. I don't really think of Avon as a toy distributor, I'm really curious about this collaboration.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:41:19 PM »
Now I'm just interested in this whole Avon Exclusive thing. I don't really think of Avon as a toy distributor, I'm really curious about this collaboration.

Its no different then Hasbro promising toys to certain stores to be their exclusive. I'm not sure how all that works behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 08:43:22 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 08:52:48 PM »

Its no different then Hasbro promising toys to certain stores to be their exclusive. I'm not sure how all that works behind the scenes.

Yeah, but Avon doesn’t sell toys as far as I know. They sell fashion and cosmetics, and are most well known for doing so door to door.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »

Yeah, but Avon doesn’t sell toys as far as I know. They sell fashion and cosmetics, and are most well known for doing so door to door.

Avon sells (or used to sell; I haven't seen an Avon catalog in almost 2 decades!) the occasional odd item. My grandma was an Avon lady and one year when we were teens, she told my sister and me we could each spend $20 toward anything in their catalog as our birthday gift that year. I didn't really care for their makeup, so I got this really cool clear Power Rangers drawstring bag that had backpack straps. I can see them featuring ponies like that.

Post Merge: April 04, 2021, 09:29:36 PM

That's not encouraging.  So you're saying all polypropylene dry rots with age? Way to go Hasblow. :mad:

Hasblow XD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:29:36 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 01:19:53 AM »

Avon sells (or used to sell; I haven't seen an Avon catalog in almost 2 decades!) the occasional odd item. My grandma was an Avon lady and one year when we were teens, she told my sister and me we could each spend $20 toward anything in their catalog as our birthday gift that year. I didn't really care for their makeup, so I got this really cool clear Power Rangers drawstring bag that had backpack straps. I can see them featuring ponies like that.

There have been Avon exclusive Barbies as well, I had one when I was little.
I'm not sure why only Avon ponies would have such bad quality hair though. Don't they want to offer a quality product?

Good luck with your rehairing, JanuaryJoy!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:49 AM »
Princess Peppermint is suspect to it too, yes? I know Sunrise is. I got her at Bronycon but when I went to start untangling, it started snapping at the root! So it's not an Avon thing per se, more of a hair type/color thing.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:34 AM »

It depends on the conditions in which the doll/pony is kept, but sadly yes it's quite common with polypropylene :/ I collect vintage Sailor Moon dolls and the entire Sailor Moon World line from 1999 has this issue, you'll often see completely NIB dolls with nearly bald heads.

It really upsets me that Hasbro has clearly forgotten to consider how their toys will age, especially with reboot G4 and onward. Nylon hair lasts longer than every other hair type, and polypropylene ages and rots quite rapidly in comparison.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »

It depends on the conditions in which the doll/pony is kept, but sadly yes it's quite common with polypropylene :/ I collect vintage Sailor Moon dolls and the entire Sailor Moon World line from 1999 has this issue, you'll often see completely NIB dolls with nearly bald heads.

It really upsets me that Hasbro has clearly forgotten to consider how their toys will age, especially with reboot G4 and onward. Nylon hair lasts longer than every other hair type, and polypropylene ages and rots quite rapidly in comparison.

Ugh. Wow.  :nope:  :facepalm: :really:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal