collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Society for Ponies with Non-Indicative Names  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Society for Ponies with Non-Indicative Names
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
I always have a snigger at crumpet just a little bit, especially knowing it's entirely meant to signify afternoon tea and thus something 'British'. Not surprising she wasn't sold here. Although the slang usage is a bit outdated now, I can imagine in the eighties someone going...erm. Nope.

Kiwi Tart is still my winner though. Given that she came out in New Zealand first. Whoops.

Tickles and Giggles are indeed Jebber and Jabber. Unlike Tuggles and Toddles, which are a bit nonsensical, I feel those are probably better names for newborn twins, providing you keep your mind out of the gutter when considering them...

Over here, Slugger is called First Base, too :)

I always wonder why Tic Tac Toe and Cotton Candy weren't renamed. :/ Not because their names are offensive, but because the terms are both American words that have no resonance here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »
Baby Ribbs-Its a neon dragon pony, and you think Ribbs is the best name?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2021, 07:15:49 AM »
Ribbs always makes me think of barbeque not dragons :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2021, 07:16:32 AM »

Quarterback's name in the cartoon was Score.

I can't imagine why they changed it...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2021, 08:52:40 AM »
I always have a snigger at crumpet just a little bit, especially knowing it's entirely meant to signify afternoon tea and thus something 'British'. Not surprising she wasn't sold here. Although the slang usage is a bit outdated now, I can imagine in the eighties someone going...erm. Nope.

Kiwi Tart is still my winner though. Given that she came out in New Zealand first. Whoops.

Tickles and Giggles are indeed Jebber and Jabber. Unlike Tuggles and Toddles, which are a bit nonsensical, I feel those are probably better names for newborn twins, providing you keep your mind out of the gutter when considering them...

I always wonder why Tic Tac Toe and Cotton Candy weren't renamed. :/ Not because their names are offensive, but because the terms are both American words that have no resonance here.

What do you guys call cotton candy over there?

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »
Candy floss. I don't know why as we hardly call anything candy. It's all sweets or chocolates
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
Candy floss. I don't know why as we hardly call anything candy. It's all sweets or chocolates

Oh.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:11 PM »

Happy birthday Ponybookworm!

And yeah, that's a good point. We don't really use the word candy, albeit I think it's got more common over the last couple of decades? Influence from across the pond perhaps...

First Base and Score together would make an interesting set. Rather like Woosie and Romper, not to mention Squeezer.

...Moving on.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »

Happy birthday Ponybookworm!

And yeah, that's a good point. We don't really use the word candy, albeit I think it's got more common over the last couple of decades? Influence from across the pond perhaps...

First Base and Score together would make an interesting set. Rather like Woosie and Romper, not to mention Squeezer.

...Moving on.
Cheers Taff xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »
Shady actually seems pretty trustworthy to me.

Ha, that's a good one. I've always found her name to be pretty humorous. With her sunglasses symbols, "Shades" might have been a better name name for her.

See ya later, Whizzer. Have fun. Make some friends.

I think Whizzer has a very unfortunate name. I assume it's suppose to mean those little propeller symbols are super fast and "whiz" right by you, but it makes me think of something else entirely. Why not just name her Propellor? I know, pretty straight forward, but much better than Whizzer. Really, Whizzer? I do get what they were going for, but, oh boy, they were not thinking that day when they were naming ponies!

G1:
Firefly, she is badass and brave, but.. she has no firefly symbols..Couldve been Lighting Mane, or Storm Kick.
Gusty. She has leaves, not wind gust.

I have to disagree with both of these. I think Firefly and Gusty have great names that suit both of them. You could say Firefly has a fiery personality and obviously she flies. And her lightning bolts are perfect since she's fast as lightning (wait, am I confusing her with Rainbow Dash? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Firefly was touted as a fast flyer!)

As for Gusty, they already did the gusts of wind symbol with Windy (and I feel like there was another pony with a similar symbol) and you often see leaves (that have fallen off trees) being carried in the air when there's a big gust of air. Yeah, she could have been named Autumn or Leafy (isn't there a baby pony named Leafy?), but I think her name makes perfect sense

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Lickety-Split yet, I don't think there's anything particularly fast about her, and ice cream is the last thing I think of when I hear her name...

Well, you do lick ice cream! And even though her symbols are ice cream cones, there are banana splits...so I think it's some kind of word play, maybe?

Honestly I like it more when a pony's name is a cute/fun twist or pun on their symbol. Rather than when their name is exactly what their symbol depicts (like Bubbles and Seashell. I get that these also work as cute nicknames, but still).

Yes, I 100% agree. It's boring when they're just named after whatever their symbol is (though I still love Bowtie, Seashell, Bubbles, etc.).

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »
I think it's lame to expect a pony's name to match their symbol exactly. As long as it fits the overall theme of the pony I'm happy.

I think Whizzer has a very unfortunate name. I assume it's suppose to mean those little propeller symbols are super fast and "whiz" right by you, but it makes me think of something else entirely. Why not just name her Propellor? I know, pretty straight forward, but much better than Whizzer. Really, Whizzer? I do get what they were going for, but, oh boy, they were not thinking that day when they were naming ponies!

maybe she should have been a drink n' wet pony
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2021, 07:00:58 AM »
Moonstone is a gem, but Moonstone has a planet.

Wigwam has teepees.

Sundance has hearts.

Seascape has a sun.

Sapphire Joy has wheat.

Aurora Mist has neither an aurora, or mist. And yeah, I get that would be difficult to capture as symbols.

Honolulu has a butterfly, flower and scrolls, instead of an island.

Bubble Muffin should have at least had a muffin too. Or they coulda called her something that wasn't partially nonsensical.

Songbird Serenade doesn't have a bird, and opted to steal Grumpy Bear 's symbol.

Gold Lily has...a gear?

Sterling has a diamond.

Pumpkin Tart has a cat and a moon.

What the heck is a pinkie pie?

Cloud Climber has a butterfly. 

Sprinkles has ducks.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »
Should we mention that Lemon Drop's drops are actually purple?

@FernMariposa, Firefly was associated with daredevil flying, but the fastest pony on wings was meant to be Whizzer. Followed on land by Windy, who ran so fast she left a rainbow streak behind her. Or something.

Trying to remember the fact file entries without bothering to look them up - but I definitely remember Whizzer was the fastest pony overall and Windy the fastest of the 'earthbound' ponies.

I don't remember that for Firefly. Just that she did daredevil loops, was reckless and unnecessarily got herself into mischief some other pony - often Medley - had to get her out of.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »

@FernMariposa, Firefly was associated with daredevil flying, but the fastest pony on wings was meant to be Whizzer. Followed on land by Windy, who ran so fast she left a rainbow streak behind her. Or something.

Trying to remember the fact file entries without bothering to look them up - but I definitely remember Whizzer was the fastest pony overall and Windy the fastest of the 'earthbound' ponies.

I don't remember that for Firefly. Just that she did daredevil loops, was reckless and unnecessarily got herself into mischief some other pony - often Medley - had to get her out of.

Thank goodness for Medley,  the sober one in the room. :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »

Thank goodness for Medley,  the sober one in the room. :biggrin:

Medley is always the nominated driver at a pony new year party.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal