collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sony is doing away with the PS3 store + Free games on PS4  (Read 1919 times)

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Sony is doing away with the PS3 store + Free games on PS4
« on: March 30, 2021, 02:45:55 PM »
I got this email today -

Spoiler
We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on July 2nd, 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on August 27th 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on July 2nd, 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.

What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

You'll still be able to access content you've already purchased and the download links will continue to be available.

I have a PS4 and play that currently BUT I still have PS3 games I've never played. I can't afford to buy anything in the PS3 store right now. I bought a lot from the store over the years. I don't know why Sony is so resistant to continued support and backwards compatibility. I'm lucky enough to own all of the Playstations (except 5) but what about people who only have a PS3? Heck, I know several people who only still have a PS2.

Sure, you can buy physical copies (which I personally prefer) but not everyone has the room for that and downloading something from the store is easy and instant. Blah. I don't like this one bit. And it sets you up to expect them to do the same with the PS4 eventually. I only got mine two years ago, I'm still building up a library.

Anyway, a heads up for anyone with the systems listed and if you're able, grab what you want from the store while you can.

Also, the PS4 store is giving away a bunch of games including Horizon Zero Dawn throughout the next month. I grabbed The Witness and Thumper. I already have HZD on disc and Abzu when they were giving that one away at some point in the past. But there's some good games to get, for free! So check it out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Sony is doing away with the PS3 store + Free games on PS4
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:57:58 AM »
oh for heaven's sake.... thanks for the heads up
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
Hmm... I had a feeling this was coming, so I already went ahead and bought all the digital-only games I was interested in. But what if the physically available games I want suddenly become HTF? What if I suddenly become interested in a game I previously wasn't, but it's already gone for good? Sony will be enjoying some sweet FOMO cash in the coming weeks, I'm sure >_<

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 12:59:08 AM »
Looks like I will need to get either a £15 or £25 PlayStation gift card if I want to get the games for my psvita

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts