collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Mimic Phenomenon  (Read 7206 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Mimic Phenomenon
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »
Oh goodness, I hope we don't see Bright Eyes and Quackers, or even Tic Tac Toe skyrocket in the future...they are on my want list and and hope I don't regret not paying the $30-$70 people want for them now instead of the $200 they might be next year... :cry:

Unintentional pun there??

I'm not so surprised about Bright Eyes. She always seemed to be hit and miss on the price depending who was buying. Quackers it usually depends on the whiteness - also don't see her come up MOC that often either?

I doubt TTT will go through the roof though. Unlike the others she had a more global release.

It was sort of intentional. I realized it as I typed the word, and almost said something about it, but didn't because I tend to get wordy, and figured I'd leave it to see if anyone caught it. Glad someone did!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2021, 03:02:18 AM »
Admittedly I've only ever had three or four in person, but I don't think there's a variation in her body colour so much as it's a really difficult colour to photograph well. It's a yellow-green colour, but the exact way to describe it otherwise, I'm not sure. I can't think off the top of my head of a pony with the same colour scheme (although I could go look...I can't think of any off the top of my head, they're all a shade or two out).

The Mimics I've had in my possession were all exactly the same colour, anyway. And I know people sometimes say she looks whiteish, but that's a trick of the lighting imo.

You know when you visit a hardware store (such as B&Q in the UK) and the paint section has this area with those little colour-swatch cards?

It might be a fun challenge for our lucky Mimic owners to visit their store and post photos of the closest-match of these colour-cards (with the colour code reference number) against their version of Mimic?

Imagine if Pantone had a shade called "Mimic"! LOL

It would be great for folk who want to make a paint-custom to have a better idea on what shade & hue to aim for  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:06:03 AM by glitterball »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2021, 04:56:28 AM »
Hm yeah, could someone w/ an account edit that bit out of Mimic's article? I'd do it myself but I don't have an account on there; maybe it could just be rewritten to make it clear that's speculation and not proven fact?

I'm running off to work right now, but I caught this and edited the article. Left the sought after part there as she is... well, sought after. We're just not sure why. :lol:

Mimic on MLPTP

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2021, 05:19:58 AM »
Admittedly I've only ever had three or four in person, but I don't think there's a variation in her body colour so much as it's a really difficult colour to photograph well. It's a yellow-green colour, but the exact way to describe it otherwise, I'm not sure. I can't think off the top of my head of a pony with the same colour scheme (although I could go look...I can't think of any off the top of my head, they're all a shade or two out).

The Mimics I've had in my possession were all exactly the same colour, anyway. And I know people sometimes say she looks whiteish, but that's a trick of the lighting imo.

You know when you visit a hardware store (such as B&Q in the UK) and the paint section has this area with those little colour-swatch cards?

It might be a fun challenge for our lucky Mimic owners to visit their store and post photos of the closest-match of these colour-cards (with the colour code reference number) against their version of Mimic?

It would be great for folk who want to make a paint-custom to have a better idea on what shade & hue to aim for  :)

That would be helpful! I suppose hardware stores are all regional and vary by country, but if multiple people living in various countries did it, we could all get our perfect match. Call it the 'Mimic Paint-Chip Challenge'!

I had a disastrous dye experiment yesterday trying to get that color right, and 2 bait ponies sacrificed their remaining beauty for science (Rit Neon Green is NOT neon green! :mad:). I'm back to the drawing board for ideas to get this pony the color I need her to be. :huh:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2021, 06:17:10 AM »

That would be helpful! I suppose hardware stores are all regional and vary by country, but if multiple people living in various countries did it, we could all get our perfect match. Call it the 'Mimic Paint-Chip Challenge'!

I had a disastrous dye experiment yesterday trying to get that color right, and 2 bait ponies sacrificed their remaining beauty for science (Rit Neon Green is NOT neon green! :mad:). I'm back to the drawing board for ideas to get this pony the color I need her to be. :huh:

Yeah, I found that out the hard way, as I'm doing a custom. After multiple dunkings, her hair is just pale green. Phooey!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:35:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 06:46:19 AM »

Yeah, I found that out the hard way, as I'mdoing a custom. After multiple dunking, its just pale green. Phooey!

It's weird, almost like the dye wasn't mixed well, even though I shook it up. I tried both a white bait and a yellow bait, but it didn't take to either very well. It looked an uneven aqua-ish green until I washed them off, and then most of the dye came off, leaving the palest tint that was not anything close to neon. Weirder still, the dye water I dumped out looked yellow! I dipped a corner of a microfiber diaper liner in to check what it would look like on cloth, and it was various shades of blue, yellow and green. I thought my dye was defective, but if yours wasn't neon either then it must just be that way. Either way, I'm glad I didn't just blindly throw my expensive HQG1C pony in there!

Here is a moment of silence for poor Goody Scumdrop and Crud-ershy, who will live out the rest of their lives as Swamp Ponies! (The hind legs of the white pony are a different color due to a different failed dye experiment a few weeks ago...the whole pony went into the neon dye, not that you can tell!)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2021, 06:53:06 AM »

Yeah, I found that out the hard way, as I'mdoing a custom. After multiple dunking, its just pale green. Phooey!

It's weird, almost like the dye wasn't mixed well, even though I shook it up. I tried both a white bait and a yellow bait, but it didn't take to either very well. It looked an uneven aqua-ish green until I washed them off, and then most of the dye came off, leaving the palest tint that was not anything close to neon. Weirder still, the dye water I dumped out looked yellow! I dipped a corner of a microfiber diaper liner in to check what it would look like on cloth, and it was various shades of blue, yellow and green. I thought my dye was defective, but if yours wasn't neon either then it must just be that way. Either way, I'm glad I didn't just blindly throw my expensive HQG1C pony in there!

Here is a moment of silence for poor Goody Scumdrop and Crud-ershy, who will live out the rest of their lives as Swamp Ponies! (The hind legs of the white pony are a different color due to a different failed dye experiment a few weeks ago...the whole pony went into the neon dye, not that you can tell!)

I had that same exact problem, with it washing out and leaving only a faint tint. I dipped a piece of paper towel in, to see what color it would dry, and it was somewhere between neon and mint.  l wish I could get my money back. The dye was a lie. The neon Easter dye I bought did a better job then that. Geeze! Wish I'd saved some.

Offline Nienor

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2021, 07:31:34 AM »

I had that same exact problem, with it washing out and leaving only a faint tint. I dipped a piece of paper towel in, to see what color it would dry, and it was somewhere between neon and mint.  l wish I could get my money back. The dye was a lie. The neon Easter dye I bought did a better job then that. Geeze! Wish I'd saved some.

I am planning of making a custom Mimic as well in the near future. To me it seems that her colour is mainly neon yellow with a hint of neon green. I am thinking of experimenting with the colour on white cloths first until I get it right, then on a bait, and finally on the HQG1C pony. Once I have the results of my experiment I will let you know  :) (although it might take a while)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
@Nienor: Yes, please do let us know if you try it! I see on their website that Rit has a neon yellow available, although I didn't see that one at the craft store when I went there the other day. I've also been researching Dharma acid dye, which is supposed to work on synthetics, but I haven't heard of anyone using it for ponies yet. They have several greens on their website that might be okay, although the 'Radioactive' color that appears to be the most likely candidate, seems to be sold out.

@LaW: I never thought about Easter Egg dye! I never did buy any this year...I'll have to check if any stores have any leftover. At least it would be on clearance if they do!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2021, 08:16:19 AM »
If I was to describe Mimic's colours in terms of anything specific, it kind of makes me think that she's the colour of one of those chalky fizzy sweets if they made one in lime or lemon/lime. That's a really unhelpful description, I know, but she's always felt like that's the kind of colour she is.

I've seen her colour described as chartreuse, neon green, yellow-green, pastel green, pistachio.

I am not sure which of those is most applicable...

Maybe I'll get mine out with some similar shaded ponies and see if I can create a pony rainbow.

She's definitely not yellow. But she's also not a convincing green either. She's...Mimic-colour.

Edit -ok, this is a super bad picture because the sunlight in my room doesn't want to be cooperative, but the closest colour match I found was the blind bag pony sitting on her leg. I don't know the name, someone else will - but her colour, while slightly greener, is the closest shade to Mimic in my collection as far as I can see. I'm only sharing the picture so that someone can ID what the blind bag pony is, if it's helpful.

The Tootsies in the image are Basic Fun and Spanish, not regular.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:30:10 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 08:51:14 AM »
If I was to describe Mimic's colours in terms of anything specific, it kind of makes me think that she's the colour of one of those chalky fizzy sweets if they made one in lime or lemon/lime. That's a really unhelpful description, I know, but she's always felt like that's the kind of colour she is.

I've seen her colour described as chartreuse, neon green, yellow-green, pastel green, pistachio.

Maybe I'll get mine out with some similar shaded ponies and see if I can create a pony rainbow.

She's definitely not yellow. But she's also not a convincing green either. She's...Mimic-colour.

Edit -ok, this is a super bad picture because the sunlight in my room doesn't want to be cooperative, but the closest colour match I found was the blind bag pony sitting on her leg. I don't know the name, someone else will - but her colour, while slightly greener, is the closest shade to Mimic in my collection as far as I can see. I'm only sharing the picture so that someone can ID what the blind bag pony is, if it's helpful.

Blind bag pony is Wave 6 Peachy Sweet! :)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »

Thanks for posting this! She does look a little close-colored to the bottom Tootsie, at least the way the light hits them in the pic. Hopefully somebody can identify the little blind bag pony!

Offline Nienor

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2021, 09:16:44 AM »
Yes, she seems to be somewhere between yellow and green, so playing with a mix of those two colours should be the key.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »

Peachy Sweet?! She sounds like she belongs on the post about the Society for Ponies with Non-indicative Names! Hasbro seems to have a thing for making peach-themed ponies that don't actually have any peach coloring on them. Sorry for the off-topic comment...couldn't resist.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »

Peachy Sweet?! She sounds like she belongs on the post about the Society for Ponies with Non-indicative Names! Hasbro seems to have a thing for making peach-themed ponies that don't actually have any peach coloring on them. Sorry for the off-topic comment...couldn't resist.

Your not wrong.  Lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal