collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Mimic Phenomenon  (Read 7231 times)

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: The Mimic Phenomenon
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:34 AM »
Yeah i don't really feel like Mimic is that rare. Almost every time I look there is at least 1 available. Usually at a high price. But she seems to be easier to find in good condition than Quackers, Tic Tac Toe, or Bright Eyes. I looked for those 3 last summer and could not find them in good condition.

I listed mine to see what would happen. I'm not sure if i want to sell unless I get a lot for here. Maybe there are other sellers doing the same thing. Just seeing if they can get a good price right now.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 10:30:24 AM »
People like ponies. People like money. People like status symbols.  Mimic is a pony, green like money, makes people money and is a collector status symbol. That's my personal hypothesis.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »
People like ponies. People like money. People like status symbols.  Mimic is a pony, green like money, makes people money and is a collector status symbol. That's my personal hypothesis.

Hrm. Our lowest denomination note is the green one here...I guess that's why she wasn't sold here? Didn't make enough money?? xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »

Hrm. Our lowest denomination note is the green one here...I guess that's why she wasn't sold here? Didn't make enough money?? xD

She's sure pulling in the  :money: now. Life's funny that way. :shrug:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »
Goodness, I had no idea Mimic went for so much these days. I've got her, but only because she was part of a friend's childhood collection that they kindly passed on to me. She's a lovely pony, and I can see why people really want her, but I don't think I'd have bought her for so much money.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2021, 05:50:18 AM »
I think I'm going to try to make one...I have an HQG1C blank in her pose laying around, and if I can get the green dye right I'm going to give it a go. While I'm still hoping to randomly find her in the wild for like, $1(keep dreaming, right?!), I'm not paying $400 for her on Ebay.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2021, 06:27:38 AM »
I think I'm going to try to make one...I have an HQG1C blank in her pose laying around, and if I can get the green dye right I'm going to give it a go. While I'm still hoping to randomly find her in the wild for like, $1(keep dreaming, right?!), I'm not paying $400 for her on Ebay.

Can't wait to see

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 08:27:45 AM »

Can't wait to see

I'll post her for sure! I'm just really leery about getting the color right...usually when dyeing a pony I have another pony to compare it to so I know I get it right...wish I had a local friend I could borrow a Mimic from for a day! And Rit dye doesn't have a real great shade of green in their Dyemore arsenal...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »

Can't wait to see

I'll post her for sure! I'm just really leery about getting the color right...usually when dyeing a pony I have another pony to compare it to so I know I get it right...wish I had a local friend I could borrow a Mimic from for a day! And Rit dye doesn't have a real great shade of green in their Dyemore arsenal...

I picked up a neon green. Maybe if you combine it with pale or neon yellow? Mimic never seems to be one color anyway. I've seen her white tinted with green, honeydew green and a light sickly yellow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:51:33 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2021, 01:54:44 PM »
Admittedly I've only ever had three or four in person, but I don't think there's a variation in her body colour so much as it's a really difficult colour to photograph well. It's a yellow-green colour, but the exact way to describe it otherwise, I'm not sure. I can't think off the top of my head of a pony with the same colour scheme (although I could go look...I can't think of any off the top of my head, they're all a shade or two out).

The Mimics I've had in my possession were all exactly the same colour, anyway. And I know people sometimes say she looks whiteish, but that's a trick of the lighting imo.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2021, 02:00:56 PM »
Admittedly I've only ever had three or four in person, but I don't think there's a variation in her body colour so much as it's a really difficult colour to photograph well. It's a yellow-green colour, but the exact way to describe it otherwise, I'm not sure. I can't think off the top of my head of a pony with the same colour scheme (although I could go look...I can't think of any off the top of my head, they're all a shade or two out).

The Mimics I've had in my possession were all exactly the same colour, anyway. And I know people sometimes say she looks whiteish, but that's a trick of the lighting imo.

Only 3 or 4 she says. :rolleyes: But yeah, I hear ya on some ponies being difficult to capture the color of.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:05:23 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline serena-hime

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »

Can't wait to see

There's an HQG1C Mimic custom on Instagram! Maybe you could ask them what combo they used for her?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »

Can't wait to see

There's an HQG1C Mimic custom on Instagram! Maybe you could ask them what combo they used for her?

They did a spectacular job. If it weren't for the eyes, I'd have thought her a double.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »

Only 3 or 4 she says. :rolleyes: But yeah, I hear ya on some ponies being difficult to capture the color of.

3 or 4, including mine, in 25ish years? :) And honestly, all of them were at least 20 years ago xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »

Can't wait to see

I picked up a neon green. Maybe if you combine it with pale or neon yellow? Mimic never seems to be one color anyway. I've seen her white tinted with green, honeydew green and a light sickly yellow.

I know, every picture I see of her looks different! The one on the wiki site looks almost neon, or at least a bright lime, but then some look whitish or almost yellow green, you are right. I chalked it up to differences in photography/lighting, like Taffeta mentioned, but fading could be a factor, too. Is your neon green Rit dye, or a different brand? I think I saw on their website they carry neon green in regular dye but not for synthetics, but it might still work. I thought about using Koolaid, but I've never heard of anyone using that to dye pony bodies, only hair, so I'm not sure. I'll have to try it on a bait pony first...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal