collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: About pony wear  (Read 1468 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
About pony wear
« on: March 21, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was looking at the g1 ponywear and I’d thought they would look great in pictures. Like beachwear on vacation or a picnic outfit in a spring field.

The thing is, I hardly know a thing about it all.

Are outfits pricey? Do they stain ponies if put on for a longer time? Is it better to buy loose pieces rather then the complete set? Any rare outfits I’d need to look out for?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers,

Luke
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: About pony wear
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:37:14 PM »
It depends. As far as beachwear goes, I got my Sun and Fun mother-and-baby set for $5; that one comes up for sale often, it seems. Some outfits, such as the costume wear, rarely pops up, and can be quite expensive when it does. The outfits with jewelry are hard to find with all the pieces intact, as it seems like those tiny jewelry pieces were the first things to get lost. I find that it's cheaper to try and buy the outfits complete, because if I decide to replace the missing pieces it costs a fortune to buy one random shoe or earring plus pay $5 shipping for it. However, if you're not too picky about completing the outfits (I am, unfortunately!), you can often find ponywear lots with many random pieces and you can match them up the best you can, or make your own odds and ends to make them work sometimes.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 07:40:00 AM »
It depends. As far as beachwear goes, I got my Sun and Fun mother-and-baby set for $5; that one comes up for sale often, it seems. Some outfits, such as the costume wear, rarely pops up, and can be quite expensive when it does. The outfits with jewelry are hard to find with all the pieces intact, as it seems like those tiny jewelry pieces were the first things to get lost. I find that it's cheaper to try and buy the outfits complete, because if I decide to replace the missing pieces it costs a fortune to buy one random shoe or earring plus pay $5 shipping for it. However, if you're not too picky about completing the outfits (I am, unfortunately!), you can often find ponywear lots with many random pieces and you can match them up the best you can, or make your own odds and ends to make them work sometimes.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm not a completist thankfully.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline FernMariposa919

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 08:19:21 AM »
Ditto everything LadyAmalthea said. I love Pony Wear and I'm up to 25 outfits. Some I did pay more than others...but that's because they are more rare than others or, in the case of Hearts of Candy, it's hard to find an outfit with the heart pendant (especially one that is still attached to the necklace!)

If you want all the pieces to the Play 'n Wear outfits....good look with that! I have two complete outfits from that line. I see the outfits for Get Into The Groove, Pony Holiday, and Milk and Cookies quite a lot...but they are hardly with all the accessories.

Costume Wear seems to be extremely rare. I've rarely seen Pony Naut (especially with the helmet!!), Galaxy Glamour, Rockin' the Night Away, and Abra-ca-dabra; I've barely rarely seen Academy Awards, and I've NEVER seen In the Center Ring, which, of course is one I'm looking for!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:54:49 PM by FernMariposa919 »

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
Why, oh why is the costume wear so rare, I wonder? I mean, I get why the small pieces of some outfits are hard to find, but I just don't ever see these outfits, even pieces of them, pop up at all either! Did they not put a lot of it out back in the day or something? I had a complete Abra Ca Dabra in my watch list a week or so ago but I got busy and missed the end of the auction...too bad, because it was the first time I've ever seen it intact.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:48:25 PM »
The worst of them is In The Centre Ring. I only have one, incomplete, set of this

Yep, the accessories. The milk & cookies for Milk & Cookies, the hairclip for Get Into The groove, the jewellery for the Jewellery Wear...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
I only have one set of Pony Wear so far, "Pony Luv" or the Tennis one.
I'm surprised how delicate it is, my advice is to be very careful with the elasticated parts.
Also I don't know if this is just me, but the shoes are really hard to put on the pony !  ^^;
I'm really scared I'm going to snap the plastic of the shoe!
Looking forward to seeing your photographs once you've got hold of some :3 Creating scenes is so fun !

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Offline FernMariposa919

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »
Why, oh why is the costume wear so rare, I wonder? I mean, I get why the small pieces of some outfits are hard to find, but I just don't ever see these outfits, even pieces of them, pop up at all either! Did they not put a lot of it out back in the day or something? I had a complete Abra Ca Dabra in my watch list a week or so ago but I got busy and missed the end of the auction...too bad, because it was the first time I've ever seen it intact.

Was that Abra-Ca-Dabra on Ebay? If so, I got that one! I noticed there were about five people watching.I thought I would have to put up a fight to win it, but only one other person bid against it and I still managed to snag it. That was one of a handful that I really wanted.

The worst of them is In The Centre Ring. I only have one, incomplete, set of this

You're lucky you have it, even if it is incomplete! Was it from your childhood collection or did you buy it online? This is the White Whale (white horse?) of Pony Wear. I swear, this is the only Pony Wear I have NEER seen. I would question if it even existed, but it is modeled on Sweet Tooth on the wiki page, so I know it is a real thing!

That one and Pony Holiday are ones I really want!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

Was that Abra-Ca-Dabra on Ebay? If so, I got that one! I noticed there were about five people watching.I thought I would have to put up a fight to win it, but only one other person bid against it and I still managed to snag it. That was one of a handful that I really wanted.

It was on Ebay! I'm glad you were able to snag it...it makes me feel a little less bad about missing out. You should put pics up in the brag section, then I can go appreciate it vicariously! Around the same time frame, there was another Ebay auction up with a bunch of ponywear outfits in it for a pretty reasonable price, including one of the space outfits. I had considered it, but I had most of the other outfits already and some of them weren't complete so in the end I didn't bid on that one, but it was probably a really good deal for somebody!

Offline FernMariposa919

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 04:43:35 PM »

It was on Ebay! I'm glad you were able to snag it...it makes me feel a little less bad about missing out. You should put pics up in the brag section, then I can go appreciate it vicariously! Around the same time frame, there was another Ebay auction up with a bunch of ponywear outfits in it for a pretty reasonable price, including one of the space outfits. I had considered it, but I had most of the other outfits already and some of them weren't complete so in the end I didn't bid on that one, but it was probably a really good deal for somebody!

I did put up a pic in the brag section, along with some other Pony Wear outfits I've been thrilled to get. I hope you are able to get an Abracadabra outfit soon. I will let you know if I see one. Do you just go on eBay? I sometimes check Etsy too. I don't know where else one would look.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 06:45:25 PM »

You're lucky you have it, even if it is incomplete! Was it from your childhood collection or did you buy it online? This is the White Whale (white horse?) of Pony Wear. I swear, this is the only Pony Wear I have NEER seen. I would question if it even existed, but it is modeled on Sweet Tooth on the wiki page, so I know it is a real thing!

That one and Pony Holiday are ones I really want!
I LITERALLY have one cape & one bodysuit from several years of collecting. And even though pony wear is a regular search on eBay, I've never found another set or any more accessories. I'd love the head-dress in particular (shoes are plastic & can stain so I never put them on a Pony except my almost complete Into The Groove set (missing clip) as the socks protect from the shoes
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 06:59:34 PM »

I did put up a pic in the brag section, along with some other Pony Wear outfits I've been thrilled to get. I hope you are able to get an Abracadabra outfit soon. I will let you know if I see one. Do you just go on eBay? I sometimes check Etsy too. I don't know where else one would look.

I'll go check it out...can't wait to see your other pony wear! I do mostly go on Ebay, but once in a while I'll check Etsy if I remember to think of it. I should look there more often.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 04:00:29 PM »
My only childhood pony wear set was Hearts and Candy/My Valentine unfortunately  I think all of the pieces  are lost expect one red shoe.  :sad: I'm pretty sure the necklace broke at one point.  I want to replace it one day but I don't see it come up for sale much and when it does it's usually incomplete and pricey. 

I think some Pony Wear sets have to been seen in person.  I have Great Skates MOC.  It was my first G1 MOC item. :D

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 04:33:16 AM »
Costume Wear used to be impossible to find.  For some reason, it seemed to have had poor distribution in the USA. I tried(unsuccessfully) to find it for years in stores as a kid, and many other collectors I’ve talked to had the same experience.  Possibly, its rarity is due to it being hard to find in the USA, which was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, market.  It’s also the last ponywear line from the G1 era, and the later in a generation something is, usually the rarer it tends to be.

Most loose outfits I’ve seen from ebay were from Canada, so maybe they got more of them there.  Then several years ago, a large quantity of MOC Costume Wear outfits were found by a seller in Chile, and they’ve become not exactly common, but much easier to get since then.  I have quite a few Costume Wear outfits in my trade/sale bin, and they’re always popular. 

As for other ponywear, I’m a huge collector of it.  It can be a nightmare to collect since nothing is labeled as Hasbro(so you really have to know what you’re looking at), and there are a lot of variants for several outfits.  This is especially true for Nirvana outfits(some Greek outfits can have up to 4 - possibly more - distinct variants), but even common outfits can have variants. Pony Royal’s cape has more shades than a color wheel.  Some may be from fading, some may be from the dye lots, but it’s a mess trying to figure out.  In The Center Ring has at least two distinct variants! 

Ponywear is generally not one of the big money subsets of pony collecting.  There are some high value outfits(mostly Nirvana), but many can be found for reasonable prices.  Incomplete outfits and pieces can be pretty cheap, and ponywear lots can be a good deal.  Unfortunately, several outfits have rare pieces that can be a major pain to get loose.  Things that are small and/or delicate will give you fits to find loose.  If you’re a completionist, MOC or complete loose outfits are probably the way to go.  Tracking down a Galaxy Glamor hairband or a non-destroyed Pony Holiday hat is not for the faint of heart.  But if you’re happy with almost complete, or you don’t mind a real challenge, assembling outfits from loose pieces can be done.  Buying lots also tends to give you trade fodder for other pieces. 

Some ponywear can stain when left on a pony for extended periods, and it can get stretched out,  so I don’t recommend displaying it on a pony.  Make sure you keep any velcro closed when storing it as it can snag on the fabric and destroy it(Something Old, Something New’s wedding dress is often a victim of this).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal