collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I Restore Discolored Princess Royal Blue?  (Read 824 times)

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
Can I Restore Discolored Princess Royal Blue?
« on: March 12, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
If you saw my January acquisitions, then you'll remember Princess Royal Blue. However, I scored her condition a low 5/10 because she has awful, yellowish discoloration. I'm wondering if I can restore her blue color instead of just upgrading her someday? I have closeup pictures under the spoiler.

Spoiler
I'll start by saying I don't know what damaged her at all. If this is sun damage, wouldn't the light pink blush be noticeably faded?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's still vibrant on her discolored face.

Although, the underside of her hooves and the backsides of her legs are still bright blue, which would fit the possibility they avoided sun exposure. That also shows her vinyl isn't fundamentally ruined.

We need to remember her delicate symbols when considering "treatment" as well.

If anybody can offer help or good tips, please reply! My parents gifted Princess Royal Blue to me from a listing I linked them. The photos weren't good enough, and although I could tell she was dirty, I didn't think there'd anything unexpected after cleaning. I wouldn't of wanted her if I knew her true colors (pun intended), but I don't want to give up on a present pony.
:glitter: :glitter: :think: :glitter: :glitter:

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Can I Restore Discolored Princess Royal Blue?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
A possibility would be to sunfade her and see if that helps. MLPPreservationProject has a picture of a Wind Whistler that had yellowed before and after sunfading:

The hair has obviously been touched up, but I think you might see a difference in the body. :)
I don't think sun damage would have caused it, I usually chalk it up to weird plastic just doing its own thing.
I would suggest wrapping her plastic wrap and then painting on the outside of it to cover up her symbols. I'll admit I am a bit of an irresponsible PonyParent and just left a Princess Tiffany outside for two months one summer because she had Highlighter up and down an entire side of her body. Her symbol didn't come out much worse afterwards, but yours looks nice and shiny.
I didn't use anything like hair bleaching cream, I just threw her outside.
A HydrogenPeroxide bath is another possibility, but I don't tend to have much success personally and I fear the symbol will worsen in the bath.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline JanuaryJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • G1 & G3 MLP Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Restore Discolored Princess Royal Blue?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
A possibility would be to sunfade her and see if that helps. MLPPreservationProject has a picture of a Wind Whistler that had yellowed before and after sunfading:

The hair has obviously been touched up, but I think you might see a difference in the body. :)

Oh, whoops. I know MLPPreservationProject, I found it years ago when I first started collecting. I guess I didn't check all the pages there last night, I only saw something about fading white ponies specifically. Thank you! I'll see if others agree with that idea or offer different suggestions. I find it interesting Wind Whistler looks to of had almost identical yellowing to my Princess Royal Blue, and is... a very similar color. Huh.
 :what:

:rainbow: 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕪𝕁𝕠𝕪, 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥'𝕤 𝕞𝕖 :rainbow:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal