collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First Look at G5 Toys  (Read 80932 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at G5 Toys
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »
You guys bring up interesting points about customizing. You can't always tell from a picture, but they look like hard plastic.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2021, 06:17:07 PM »
Hopefully there will be lots of characters and not just 3 or 4 ad naseum. Kids don't like buying a bajillion of the same thing.

Yes please! I like how these new main ponies for G5 look right now, and I don't want to get as tired of them as I got with the Mane 6. I think they should maybe only give them two (main brushable) toys a year, filling out the rest of the brushables each toy reset with different, new ponies each time. Have it be more similar to pre-Core 7 G3 where there are ponies that get released more (Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Sunny Daze, Sparkleworks, etc), but most releases are new characters.

Not to mention that when the G3 characters were rereleased, it was often in a different pose or finish. So if you liked the pony but not the pose, you had options. It was a really nice way of doing things—I miss that G3 business model. T_T

At the start of G4, I was really enthused about the character designs. But after 10+ years of having them crammed down our throats, my enchantment has sadly faded. :P

You guys bring up interesting points about customizing. You can't always tell from a picture, but they look like hard plastic.

Just a hunch from the brushable in those photos, but she seems like she has the matte look of the original G4 brushies, as opposed to the shinier, harder plastic of the movie, 4.5s, and beyond. The non-brushables in the photo seem shinier by comparison (like GoH), though that could all just be attributed to lighting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:22:48 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2021, 06:21:04 PM »
Well this is.... Hm. Uh. Wow.
Totally unexpected, but not terrible.

I like how the design is almost a throwback to G2.

But the human faces are... VERY jarring. Why such prominent eyebrows...?
And the spacing is WAY too close.

If they fix that, I'm in. For the toys anyway.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:25:57 PM by Esbayne »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2021, 06:27:36 PM »
The faces look worse on the toys. Particularly Sunny from the front view. Hard to tell on the colt since there is no side view.

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »
Ahhhh I'm so conflicted. I HATE how the heads look but I LOVE their G2-like bodies! I guess I will have to wait and see what they look like in real-life...

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2021, 07:40:40 PM »
I'm glad the main pony (Sunny?) is orange. I'm a sucker for orange ponies. I'm not sure how I feel about the new design yet. I don't hate it....

Offline Shrojjy

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »
i agree with the observation that the eyes are way too close together, but i almost feel like i would take that over the bobbleheads. i feel like that worked better stylistically with the pony life toys than it does here. i did a crappy little edit where i thickened the neck on the brushable:

idk, it's the main thing bothering me. the molded hair figures have thicker necks which better fit their heads, but izzy's is so long!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2021, 07:56:30 PM »
Hopefully we won't see the return of the every other word is a horse pun.

Post Merge: February 25, 2021, 07:57:19 PM

i agree with the observation that the eyes are way too close together, but i almost feel like i would take that over the bobbleheads. i feel like that worked better stylistically with the pony life toys than it does here. i did a crappy little edit where i thickened the neck on the brushable:

idk, it's the main thing bothering me. the molded hair figures have thicker necks which better fit their heads, but izzy's is so long!

The neck isn't in a completely natural position, is too thin and straight, the roundness screws it up, nothing connects right,  and looks like a head they put on a finger. Nothing short of resculpting would make it look right.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:05:18 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
https://joelsweet.tumblr.com/post/644141107893223425/i-am-so-confused-yall-im-okay-with-the

I saw this post on Tumblr pointing out that the face shape on the toy is definitely snubbier than the animation, hence why it looks so off. You'd think with the characters being 3D, it would be easier to make a more accurate and better looking toy.

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2021, 09:43:31 PM »
looks like a head they put on a finger.

:lmao:
ohhhh no, cannot unsee

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2021, 10:31:44 PM »
https://joelsweet.tumblr.com/post/644141107893223425/i-am-so-confused-yall-im-okay-with-the

I saw this post on Tumblr pointing out that the face shape on the toy is definitely snubbier than the animation, hence why it looks so off. You'd think with the characters being 3D, it would be easier to make a more accurate and better looking toy.

THANK YOU! I know we gave G4’s toys a pass since their 2d designs were tricky to translate into 3D but these should be easy??? I’m worried this will follow G4’s trend of media first, toys second. :(

My initial thought on these is literally nothing. I don’t dislike them, but I don’t really like them either. It’s probably just because it’s all new, but these still feel like well done fakies more than genuine mlp so far. The drawn designs, both 2d and 3d are cuter than the toys seen here. I also hope we see more brushables than just Sunny here. I’m not a huge fan of the sculpted articulated figures.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »
Well, my negativity is unbridled here: I hate them. Good color schemes, but the heads completely undermine them and turn them into garbage. The animation faces were already overly snubby just like G4, which is an unacceptable design choice in its own right, and this is even worse! Hasbro needs to change the designs of both the media and the toys. I would rather have a year of no new MLP product than see these on shelves as they are.
should be perma-moderated

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
Hmm, I don't HATE them. I'm just glad there are some brushables, lmao

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2021, 04:15:26 AM »
I like that the brushable one seems to have really nice, lush hair. I hope there is a whole line of ones like this...I'm not even remotely interested in the articulated, molded-hair ones.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2021, 04:37:32 AM »
Their heads look like a Dyson hand dryer.

:lol: You have such a way with words, Space.

My initial thought on these is literally nothing. I don’t dislike them, but I don’t really like them either. It’s probably just because it’s all new, but these still feel like well done fakies more than genuine mlp so far.

Honestly this is where I stand right now, too. It's difficult for me to work up a strong feeling about these either way right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal