collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Blonde realisation I just stumbled across...  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Blonde realisation I just stumbled across...
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:49:03 PM »
My youngest nephew is turning 11 this week, and on top of his main birthday present I thought I'd get him a little side gift.

Now, this is where I may prove my age. He's recently gotten into the band the Gorillaz, and I was like "I'll buy him a CD!"... and then I had to pause. They have no way of playing a CD in their house. And where would I buy a CD these days?  :lookround:

It's very difficult to gift music now! (In my day, we had tape decks. If the tape stopped working, you got a pencil. Easy!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Blonde realisation I just stumbled across...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 02:21:50 PM »
ha! i actually got a gorillaz CD as a christmas gift once, well over a decade ago. i still buy them on occasion.

for what it's worth, physical music collecting is actually a rather big deal right now, with vinyl. even cassettes are making a bit of a comeback. i'd imagine if it keeps up like this he'll be asking for records when he gets a little older, if he's into music like that.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »
Haha...I like having hard copies of my music...I'll never get rid of my CDs, or even my small handful of cassette tapes I amassed in middle school before CDs became mainstream. I even bought a pre-owned 2016 model car instead of the (at-the-time) brand-new 2017, because they stopped putting factory CD players in the 2017 and I don't like the sloppy look of an aftermarket one jammed in there.

But I suppose the younger generation would prefer a digital version...that definitely does make gifting music difficult, like you said. One thing I've done a couple of times is just bought an iTunes gift card any time I needed a gift for a teen or young person, but it's been a few years since I've needed to do that, so for all I know, that might be an obsolete thing, too...

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
Gorillaz sells their merch and cds and all that sort of thing from their Youtube store...
https://www.youtube.com/c/Gorillaz/store
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »
I would say that the tech-savvy kids have probably already pirated it, lol. I would suggest getting some other sort of merchandise like a hoodie or something...
I don't use CDs because my laptop doesn't have a drive for it...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
I would buy him the album on vinyl, even if he doesn't have a record player to play it on I'm sure he will love to put it on display like some music fans do, and who knows, maybe it will get him into vinyl collecting.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
My youngest nephew is turning 11 this week, and on top of his main birthday present I thought I'd get him a little side gift.

Now, this is where I may prove my age. He's recently gotten into the band the Gorillaz, and I was like "I'll buy him a CD!"... and then I had to pause. They have no way of playing a CD in their house. And where would I buy a CD these days?  :lookround:

It's very difficult to gift music now! (In my day, we had tape decks. If the tape stopped working, you got a pencil. Easy!)

Could get him a Gorillaz cd and a new cd player?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:22:37 PM »
Amazon has some older CD players like so for sale! The wall mounted CD players are a big more pricey, but take up less space. You could always get the CD player and then one CD, depending on your spending limits!
Personally, I love CDs. I listen to them in the car all the time! I also own a pretty advanced record player that has Bluetooth, AUX, and FM/AM radio.

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
They never stopped selling cd players  Heck, even
walkmans are starting to make a sporadic return.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 12:29:43 AM »
I would go for the streaming gift card combined with a picture disc/LP if the Gorillaz have any.

I got rid of most of my cd's and no option to play at this moment. Some are hard to find and I keep them for the memory when I bought them.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 04:37:19 AM »
I wouldn't give a kid a CD player unless it was something they were interested in, since they probably already have a portable music device. CDs still exist for those who don't want to go fully digital..

Music gifts are still possible with subscription services (like spotify), which allow people to listen to whatever they want. It's kind of a better gift then a CD/tape/etc, because they can listen to whatever they want.

I think vinyl would be better for someone /really/ into music.. it's better quality, it scratches the itch for physical, it's displayable.. etc. But, that probably wouldn't be for the average 11 year old.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:03 PM »
Oh, that is tough! I personally still lean towards having my music on a physical format, but I actually don’t have a CD player other than the one in my car! :lookround: I primarily buy on Vinyl and have a handful of tapes.

I don’t know how into music your nephew is, but I DO feel like for the kids who really love the bands they listen to, physical media is still appreciated. It looks like they do have a tape in the Gorrilaz webstore linked here has a tape, it might be a cool gift even if he chooses not to listen to it? I actually started buying vinyl before I had a turntable just because I thought it looked cool. :P I feel like you could probably get him a tape deck for cheap (mine came from a thrift store) to start him off with physical media, and if he likes it then he can start to expand from there!

Mercy is always a good choice for music lovers too! I had to finally turn a bunch of my concert shirts into a quilt because I outgrew them but I was too emotionally attached to them to give them away. :lol:

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal