collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18791 times)

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2021, 12:09:07 AM »
I like everything but the faces.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2021, 01:44:16 AM »
I'll make up my mind on how excited I am once I see the toys!

At first I was underwhelmed, I'm generally not a fan of eyebrows on ponies... but the purple pegasus is c u t e.  I like that they have slightly different faces. The wings remind me of princess tutu, and I love that! feathered hooves, yaaas! And I think the art on the bottom side of the duvet looks a lot better.
It's cute, I like it.
I also get the vibe this will be more little girl oriented than g4, and I also get the g3.5 and g2 vibes I've seen people mention. I have zero issues with if this show will be aimed at younger children.

Hopefully optimistic over here! but like I said, I'll know if I like it for real once I see the toys, haha. I hope they'll be a little bit bigger this time around. (probably not, but I'd like that)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2021, 02:01:36 AM »
If these are official I will say that they look like a logical next step from FiM to PL to (alleged) G5. But if they were official wouldn't there be a new IP icon and lettering somewhere on the product? I wouldn't settle for them just yet. I somehow can't imagine there is nowhere a "My Little Pony" branding to be seen on these. Makes it look suspect.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2021, 02:30:05 AM »
If these are official I will say that they look like a logical next step from FiM to PL to (alleged) G5. But if they were official wouldn't there be a new IP icon and lettering somewhere on the product? I wouldn't settle for them just yet. I somehow can't imagine there is nowhere a "My Little Pony" branding to be seen on these. Makes it look suspect.

The other MLP bed sets from Jerry Fabrics don't have a logo or anything on them either:

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2021, 03:00:44 AM »
I’m so sad. They look nothing like what a MLP should
Look like to me. Huge disappointment. The eyes are all wrong. This is going to flop hard.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2021, 03:18:40 AM »
The other MLP bed sets from Jerry Fabrics don't have a logo or anything on them either:

Oh.

:|

Well then I'm a little more accepting of them as new MLP but I'll say I dislike the faces and prefer PL beanmouth to them, hah! I like how they all have hooves and gradients on them, tho.

PS: I went through the pitch art that was leaked years ago and they in fact look a lot like the style I liked the least:

Oops.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:49:58 AM by Zapper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2021, 03:57:33 AM »
Got home, found the thread mentioned earlier. The names were "Work in progress names":
Spoiler
"Yes, the names were works in progress, im assuming they’re nicknames. The white one w the pink hair is the cutest IMO, she has a rainbow dash looking lightning bolt and a blue and pink mane. The Izzy one is cute too. She also has like a dual colored streaked mane. I thought it was weird their names were only one word on the concepts but I’m just assuming they have a second word after those names. "
Thank you. >_<; I just like knowing where info comes from .

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2021, 04:23:25 AM »
Generally don't care for it, but am absolutely thrilled to see brown eyes! And blue/green eyes not being the majority! Amazing.

Wishlist

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2021, 06:22:33 AM »
I like these better than pony life but there's something off to me about them.   Something about their faces isn't quite right.  I do like the feathered hooves though.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2021, 07:03:46 AM »
I like these better than pony life but there's something off to me about them.   Something about their faces isn't quite right.  I do like the feathered hooves though.

Ponyfan

Yeah, too round and human-like. No lower jaw. Be this Hasbro or some other company, it makes what might have been cute, ugly and creepy.

@Nemesis That's disgusting! Why would they think that's ok?  :X
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:53:00 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »
I think they are better than the pony life designs but I find them similar to designs from pre-school shows from Nickelodeon and Disney. Very plain design wise and the faces are extremely human-like. Just don't appeal to me unfortunately.

Even if they don't look anything like other gens I'm used to MLP having a distinct style, these look like many other current shows intended for small children which is a shame.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:49:29 AM by Shadoweon »

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2021, 07:47:23 AM »

Ponyfan

Yeah, too round and human like. No lower jaw. Be this Hasbro or some other company, it makes what might have been cute, ugly and creepy.

Post Merge: February 23, 2021, 07:38:42 AM

I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

That’s a very divided opinion. For me, G4 started going downhill when every single episode started pandering and giving winks/nods to the adult fans. Finally, we ended up with the infamous Daring Do body pillow scene.  :facepalm: Not everything fan-influenced was bad—we saw favorite characters like Nightmare Moon being spotlighted, and we certainly got some cool merch aimed at older viewers—but the shameless pandering became increasingly unbearable to me as the series wore on.

I’d rather see it returned to its roots as a show aimed at children, that some adults happen to enjoy for its innocence and magic (and nostalgia, of course). :shrug:

That's disgusting! Why would they think that's ok?

I... legitimately... have no idea. :blink: If you haven’t seen the episode, it was about Rainbow Dash attending a Daring Do convention. While she’s touring around the booths and exhibits with another fan, they see body pillows for sale featuring an image of Daring Do tied up. They both give it a weirded-out look and move on.

The whole scene gave me the feeling that one of the writers or staff had gone to an actual con and seen some icky fan-made merch. They were probably creeped out by it or found it funny, and decided to reference it in the show itself... which was a wildly inappropriate decision. I don’t know how it ever got greenlit, other than no one was paying attention or understood the reference. :/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:53:04 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »
Oh man, that pic of just the face :yikes: It shows how generic they are too, I feel like I've seen that kind of face on every other new show. though granted that's kind of a problem with cartoons in general (IMO) right now, everyone copying the latest trendy style instead of going for something more unique.

I noticed the similarity to the old leaks, too... why oh why couldn't they have gone for one of the more horsey designs :( I don't mind some stylization (heck I prefer it, I've never been a 'horse person') but there's a difference between 'stylized' and 'barely recognizeable as a horse', you know?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »
The more that I look at them -- I agree with whoever said they have Disney Junior vibes.

They look very safe, and very fitting into the preschool visuals. And I think that's why I feel indifferent to them. *shrug*

I also think the art on the pillow looks awkward and stiff, especially highlighted by the fact two of them have pretty much the same face forward expression. It's possible this won't be as bad when animated, but meh.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
If this is really what g5 will look like, besides the eyes being a little jarring, it’s actually better than I expected. I think they are very cute. I like the simple cutie marks/symbols, pastel colors and design. They look a lot like g4 in body shape but with rounder noses and different eye shape. They could translate into some really cute toys that would remind me of the original g4 style toys. I preferred them before the redesign so that might be something interesting to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal