collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18815 times)

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
Possible G5 artstyle?
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
While surfing Equestria Daily, I unexpectedly happened upon this article showcasing a listing for an upcoming bedding set featuring a visual aesthetic clearly distinct from both G4 and Pony Life... while not entirely confirmed, it's possible that this could be the one and only G5, folks (cue the collector tear vial):
https://www.jfabrics.cz/en/product/950-my-little-pony-mlp119
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:21:29 AM by Deep Purple Crystal »

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
Embed:

I'm a bit underwhelmed, but I'm so excited to see designs! I loove that the wings are distinct from the body! And feathers! Hooves! I love it the more I look at it!!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:37:53 AM »
Oh. I really have no emotions. I don't think I care one way or another?

There's that little icon crown thing that we saw on some of those headers... sooo...

ETA:
I think I know what it is. They are not drawn in a style I find cute. But I don't hate them. I'm still excited to see how this style will translate to toys tho'.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:44:06 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »
Thanks for the embed Tailrust :)

I... well, it's a step up from Pony Life, I guess. but those faces... does anyone else find them a bit too human or is it just me? the front view especially. I dunno quite what it is, there's just something very "uncanny valley" about them. The pillow especially.

I'm surprised at how little I actually care, though. :s

edit: looking at it again, I'm really not a fan of the wings looking like that - makes them look tacked-on rather than something that's actually part of their body, IMO. sorta reminds me of fakies, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:55:45 AM by Carrehz »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
It looks cute, I'm a big fan of the feathered hooves! The blue to purple gradient hair on one of the ponies is cute, too. I'd love for Hasbro to implement that aspect into her toy if these are real, like how those Family Friends sets back in G1 had gradient hair. I think it would be cool if these are real, to have a pony with gradient hair again in the toyline.

I think my only complaint with these is that if they're real, then of course these three will be some of the main cast, and I think the purple pony and pink ponies' body shades are a little similar to one another. One is definitely purple while the other is definitely pink, but I think the colors are still pretty similar to one another at first glance.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 10:55:40 AM »
I'm getting G2 vibes! I think it's just the fact that they all have the same facial expression? But yeah, I have a feeling these are going to be met with a resounding "ok, I guess" :lol:

Offline PrismaHeart

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »
I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.

:good: icon by RRd :heart: sig art by bunxl :heart: wishlist :heart: current collection :good:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
Ok so, my very first impression was it looks like g3.5. And that it's uncanny.  :| That's all I say for now

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
The company has lots of licensed bedding, and they're currently making some G4 stuff. This one is labelled "My Little Pony" and is set to release in September... which is when the movie comes out! Hopefully we'll find out from Hasbro in a few days whether this is real. :)

When I was making my G5 predictions I made this art back in November, then I decided it was too cutesy and went back and redid them. Turns out my initial designs were spot on! XD

I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.

They're SO girly I love it. Big G3.5 vibes... a gen I actually like! Unpopular opinion, I know...

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 11:17:08 AM »
This art style is much cuter than g4 but the faces really are too human like, just exchange the round line meant to imitate a muzzle and draw a nose. I also don't like the horn and wings being different than the body color, it all being one color is like a trademark of mlp while different colors I think of fakies and wannabes

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
I'm... definitely getting a "show for preschoolers" vibe from the art style. like it looks like dora the explorer to me LMAO

that being said, the designs themselves look pretty nice, good variety and visually interesting! also HOOVES! we'll just uh. see how that art style translates to toys i guess

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 11:24:20 AM »
I'm... definitely getting a "show for preschoolers" vibe from the art style. like it looks like dora the explorer to me LMAO

that being said, the designs themselves look pretty nice, good variety and visually interesting! also HOOVES! we'll just uh. see how that art style translates to toys i guess

I was just saying on Discord that they look like they're from a Disney Junior show. :P It's funny how we were hearing about Hasbro wanting to do a more serious adventure/fantasy "Good vs. Evil" tale for G5 and here we have these girly ponies! They remind me of Filly a bit, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:39:00 AM by Ragamuffin »

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
Definitely an improvement over anything G4, but could be better.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline SweetLemons

• Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
Oh yeah, these definitely gave me Disney Junior vibes. The pegasus is so cute! I can't wait to pick her up!!! It's worth mentioning the movie is going to be in 3DCG, so these are not the big reveal designs we were expecting on Thursday. Also, CGI movies with large amounts of merchandise sometimes have a separate style guide for 2D versions of the characters that aren't as detailed as their 3D counterparts, for example Frozen:

Anna and Elsa look a bit muted compared to how we all know and love them. So I'm holding out hope that they look a lot cuter in 3D, since that's what they were made for!

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
imagine if we get like a super dramatic she-ra-esque story line with these playskool lookin ponies. actually that'd be amazing i hope they do that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal